What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone upset that we lost Norman?

Kiwi

First Grade
Agree there, but would you have forked out that much for Norman?

Actually a bit disappointed in Norman, Hook has showed great faith in him and given him good opportunities. It's a bit sad that Norman wasn't willing to repay the faith and perhaps earn his big pay day down the track.

I guess it says something about wanting to play for the Broncos right now... If there is better money somewhere else there is no obvious other reason to stay as there are no real prospects for a premiership any time soon.

To me this just highlights how Hook's master plan has gone all wrong. He ignored signing marquee players banking on the fact that our future lay in the players coming through the juniors. Now our future is walking out the door. How very flawed his plan was.

How is it hooks fault? On one hand people are saying the eels paid overs and we should never have matched it, and people wanted him gone, now we should have kept him and it's shows how poor we are that we didn't keep him. FFS people make up your bloody mind. Only a player knows what he will do when offered overs to sign somewhere else. How the hell is it anything but Norman preferring dollars over loyalty? And no matter what you do those players will always go for the money.

Big Pete

Referee
To be honest, I hope it means we'll keep Hunt and promote Riccardi.

Or buy a good up and comer like Keary, Tuimavave or McGahan.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
How is it hooks fault?

Hook pretty much ignored any new player that came on the market, and said that we are only going to build from within. He didn't factor in the possibility of the within leaving for another club, which is a pretty common thing nowadays! He is naive and has got his blinkers on imo.

You don't have to sign every player that comes on the market, but not even go into negotiation with any of them is another thing.

I don't even really know how I feel about Norman leaving. All I know is that there were flaws in the coaches (and those above him) plans.

Big Pete

Referee
Who's to say he hasn't been looking at the market for next season though?

Hook only signed Norman on for a year, to say he put all his eggs in that basket is misguided.

Jason Simmons

Juniors
How is it hooks fault? On one hand people are saying the eels paid overs and we should never have matched it, and people wanted him gone, now we should have kept him and it's shows how poor we are that we didn't keep him. FFS people make up your bloody mind. Only a player knows what he will do when offered overs to sign somewhere else. How the hell is it anything but Norman preferring dollars over loyalty? And no matter what you do those players will always go for the money.

Whose job is it to develop, retain and where necessary attract talent?

Whose job is it to set our structures and decide upon the style of football we want to play?

Whose job is it to correct these things when they go wrong?

Whose job is it to correct the situation that we've invested in youth to "rebuild" this team and now most of that youth have or seem likely to leave?

Primarily it is the coach...

bfoord

Juniors
Hook pretty much ignored any new player that came on the market, and said that we are only going to build from within. He didn't factor in the possibility of the within leaving for another club, which is a pretty common thing nowadays! He is naive and has got his blinkers on imo.

You don't have to sign every player that comes on the market, but not even go into negotiation with any of them is another thing.

I don't even really know how I feel about Norman leaving. All I know is that there were flaws in the coaches (and those above him) plans.

how do you know he hasn't gone into negotiations with other players, and because we didn;t sign them he pulled out the "we want to promote from within line"

just because the papers haven't said that the Broncos are talking to player x or player y doesn't mean they haven't.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
how do you know he hasn't gone into negotiations with other players, and because we didn;t sign them he pulled out the "we want to promote from within line"

just because the papers haven't said that the Broncos are talking to player x or player y doesn't mean they haven't.

Believe me, they haven't spoken to many of them. We can't even do a good job of holding on to the talent we ourselves produce.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member

You are right, I don't know for sure if we have gone into negotiations. I can only make inferences on what we here from Hook and White and look at who has come to the club and who has left.

Most of the comments are along the lines of no we aren't going to talk with x or y are not contemplating it, we are building our future from within and blah blah blah. Their words have been backed up by the evidence that we haven't signed anyone noteworthy.

So either we are not in negotiations or we are in negotiations and the players don't want to come to the Broncos. I think even the latter is much much worse, and is also, in part, another reflection on the coach.

So tbh I hope that we are not in negotiations and that the Broncos is still a desirable place to play.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
after watching normans lack of intensity first hand on saturday i'm not really worried about losing him. he's a talent for sure but only when he wants to be. It was ironic i was watching him against the chooks thinking if he goes to the eels he's a very similar player in terms of intensity as hayne. when they want to they can turn it on but spend most of the game floating around

gUt

Coach
no i don't ? please explain

moray_eel_img_2426.jpg

Moray eel.

Champagne.

Leaguefan22

Juniors
It would have been nice to keep Norman, but not at 400k a season. He's not worth that as a fullback and he's certainly not worth that as 5/8. We watched him struggle pretty well through all last season. I have no doubt he'll get better but he's not a natural playmaker. His vision and passing isn't great, he's more a running 5/8 with a decent kicking game. He's more in the John Sutton mould which is not the kind of player we need, especially playing outside Peter Wallace.

Latest posts