What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ANZ Stadium: NRL foes the Bulldogs and the Rabbitohs unite over funding stoush

May 6, 2015 9:56pm
EXCLUSIVE John LehmannThe Daily Telegraph
A State of Origin crowd at ANZ Stadium / Picture: Adam Taylor
TRADITIONAL rivals Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs and South Sydney Rabbitohs have joined forces to fight against the high-powered push for an $800 million sports stadium in the east, snubbing Sydney’s West.
The clubs’ CEOs, Canterbury’s Raelene Castle and Souths’ John Lee, have written a joint letter to Premier Mike Baird requesting an urgent meeting, sources said.
The clubs’ decision to lobby the Premier pits them against NRL boss Dave Smith, Sports Minister Stuart Ayres and the Sydney Cricket and Sports Ground Trust, who are driving the Moore Park stadium plan.
DAVID GALLOP’S WARNING TO SYDNEY OVER ANZ FUNDING
The clubs strongly believe any plan to build a new 65,000-seat stadium in Moore Park rather than investing in ANZ Stadium at Sydney Olympic Park is a slap in the face for rugby league’s heartland in the west.
The letter points out the clubs, which hold long-term contracts to play home games at ANZ, where they fought out the 2014 grand final, together have more than 50,000 members and 80,000 juniors.
The Rabbitohs now have more of their 34,000 members living in Sydney’s west rather than its traditional southern Sydney base.
Bulldogs vs. Souths at ANZ Stadium / Picture: Mark Evans
The club CEOs declined to comment. Sources said the clubs were deeply disturbed ANZ would miss out on any funding under a plan being developed by Mr Ayres to spend up to $1.3 billion on stadiums.
The CEOs have also told Mr Baird their fans do not want to travel to the eastern suburbs to watch games.
As well as the new Moore Park stadium Mr Ayres is pushing for $400 million to be ­invested building a new 35,000-seat stadium at Parramatta.
Former Liberal leader John Brogden, who is writing a ­report for the government, criticised ANZ’s location in a meeting with the Centennial Park and Moore Park Trust chairman Tony Ryan.
But it is believed Mr Baird remains unconvinced of the need to double his $600 million stadium fund and thinks Sydney’s 80,000-seat ANZ venue is critical in competing against Melbourne for major events.
Media identity Ita Buttrose, a member of the Centennial Park Trust, vowed yesterday to fight plans for the new Moore Park stadium.
The influential SCG Trust includes leading businessman Tony Shepherd, broadcaster Alan Jones, Destination NSW chairman John Hartigan and cricket legend Steve Waugh.

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/news...339510729?sv=ddc352784e6f16dea1fabef3b9d7d95a

alien

Referee
anz stadium should be kept as the main stadium in sydney. it's in a more central location within the sydney metro area, and has lots of parking, train station right there, and easier to get out of the area after the game, compared to moore park. the sfs is fine how it is, except it should get a retractable roof.

anz stadium was planning on making it so the seats behind the posts on both ends come right up to the field, and they were also planning on getting a retractable roof. those changes will be good

parra stadium should get another level of seating behind the posts (on both ends) and make it go right around to join up with the main side stands that would make the capacity there atleast 30,000, and they should get a retractable roof too.

that's all that is needed

Rabbits20

Immortal
anz stadium should be kept as the main stadium in sydney. it's in a more central location within the sydney metro area, and has lots of parking, train station right there, and easier to get out of the area after the game, compared to moore park. the sfs is fine how it is, except it should get a retractable roof.

anz stadium was planning on making it so the seats behind the posts on both ends come right up to the field, and they were also planning on getting a retractable roof. those changes will be good

parra stadium should get another level of seating behind the posts (on both ends) and make it go right around to join up with the main side stands that would make the capacity there atleast 30,000, and they should get a retractable roof too.

that's all that is needed

Agreed Alien.

Personally it's a lot better for me to travel to ANZ over SFS.

If Souths played at SFS I would have to cancel my 14 game membership for a 3 game membership. Lots of people I know would have to do the same.

ANZ is a lot more convenient and in kind of an isolated area.

alien

Referee
Agreed Alien.

Personally it's a lot better for me to travel to ANZ over SFS.

If Souths played at SFS I would have to cancel my 14 game membership for a 3 game membership. Lots of people I know would have to do the same.

ANZ is a lot more convenient and in kind of an isolated area.

yeah anz stadium is easier for me to get to aswell (travelling by train from leumeah) but i would still go to the sfs if they played there. every time i go by train there are HEAPS of rabbitohs supporters travelling to the game on the trains from the campbelltown area

Rabbits20

Immortal
yeah anz stadium is easier for me to get to aswell (travelling by train from leumeah) but i would still go to the sfs if they played there. every time i go by train there are HEAPS of rabbitohs supporters travelling to the game on the trains from the campbelltown area

Do you then change at Glenfield?

Rabbits20

Immortal
i usually don't have to change trains until i get to lidcombe. i go via the south line (via glenfield, liverpool, cabramatta, etc). when i get to lidcombe i usually only have to wait a few mins on the sprint platform for the train to olympic park

http://www.sydneytrains.info/stations/pdf/suburban_map.pdf

That's very handy that you can get the train from Leumeah to Lidcombe.

Definitely easier than heading to the SFS.