What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are teams lifting as they realise we are the real deal

giboz71

First Grade
Look also at the soft draw penrith and souths have got.

Exactly.

We had Souths, Cronulla, Warriors, Roosters, Melbourne and Souths again in consecutive weeks. Then Penrith two weeks later. And we’re still first FFS.

No one has had a draw that tough.

I agree we need to improve big time to win the comp but the moaning and bitching in here on how bad we’re going is bordering on trolling.

SBD82

Coach
Exactly.

We had Souths, Cronulla, Warriors, Roosters, Melbourne and Souths again in consecutive weeks. Then Penrith two weeks later. And we’re still first FFS.

No one has had a draw that tough.

I agree we need to improve big time to win the comp but the moaning and bitching in here on how bad we’re going is bordering on trolling.
Some of it isn't bordering on trolling. Some of it is blatant.

I'll leave others to figure out who they think the trolls are in here, but from where I'm sitting it's obvious, and it's effective.

giboz71

First Grade
Some of it isn't bordering on trolling. Some of it is blatant.

I'll leave others to figure out who they think the trolls are in here, but from where I'm sitting it's obvious, and it's effective.

Yep and I’ve long suspected some posters have multiple aliases. I’m sure you can work out who as well.

The Damo

Juniors
Watched the Bunnues game last night and when their attack switched into fear it was awesome as are their forwards when they get a sniff of blood
We haven’t been like that since the early rounds and unless we are like that we will go nowhere semi final time
All the apologists saying we are 1st and in stats we are this we are that will conveniently walk away from what they quoted as other teams stats go past us and then they will say but we are in the eight what are you complaining about
Easy to do that when you conveniently always gave a bob each way.
Not sure if you’ve noticed OT but there’s a lot of goal post shifting on the other side of the “apologists” too ( what should we call them I wonder? Any suggestions?)
‘Be lucky to make the 8’
‘Won’t beat the sharks again’
“Lucky to beat Souths - who aren’t that good”
‘Warriors figured us out, watch roosters and storm carve us up”
“Roosters game will show if we’re serious”
“Storm game will show if we’re serious”
Etc, etc
It’s easy to appear prophetic if you keep moving your predictions down the road. If we don’t end in a qualifying final then you’ll proclaim yourself right (despite having been wrong plenty of times along the way) - that’s not even having a bob each way. All along you lot say sure we’re going better now than I said we would, but I’m not wrong yet, just wait, just wait, just wait.
Now you say - “ah well you’re not willing to say we’ll be in the qualifier - not so confident, having a bob each way there.”
Anyhoo - hope you’re enjoying the holiday, and that you can tune in to see us murder Manly tomorrow.

st penguin

Juniors
Yep - that we are hard to beat.
does them losing to teams 8, 14 and 15 tell you anything?

How about the fact that each of those losses were in stupid alternate jerseys.

In other words, they were away games to top teams at THEIR ground.

The one home game we had against a top 4 side...we won.

True_Believer

Juniors
‘Won’t beat the sharks again’
“Lucky to beat Souths - who aren’t that good”
‘Warriors figured us out, watch roosters and storm carve us up”
“Roosters game will show if we’re serious”
“Storm game will show if we’re serious”

I believe these are called "litmus tests" and it applies to every game the Dragons play.

Old Timer

Coach
I think the people having a bob each way are the ones that predicted we wouldn't make the 8 before the season started yet now say if we don't win this comp or at minimum make the grand final the season is a failure.
Incorrect
For 1 group anything less than achieving their expectation then the coach is gone
So therefore they actually have an expectation and want it met or bettered
Whereas some other people who think or hope we might win a comp will actually compromise themselves and will be ok with making the 8 and then retain the coach
If you can’t see the difference in those 2 philosophies then it is useless debating the subject

Crush

Coach
Crush you want top 8.
I want top 3.

You have already set up excuses in advance why we will only make the top 8.. and be satisfied.

It's your right to have low expectations. Most of Mary's fans do have low expectations after 4 yrs of poor results.

It's ok, be happy with top 8.

Meanwhile, let the other 70% of us have higher hopes and ambition.

Not everyone has high ambitions. It's strange, but true.

Some people are happy on the dole, some behind a cash register while others have ambitions to be something much more!

Top 8 is like being on the dole.

Lacks ambition. Shows fear.
This is perhaps the most arrogant post Ive ever read.
Presuming that you know what I think and want.
And we are done......

The Damo

Juniors
Incorrect
For 1 group anything less than achieving their expectation then the coach is gone
Whereas some other people who think or hope we might win a comp will actually compromise themselves and will be ok with making the 8 and then retain the coach
If you can’t see the difference in those 2 philosophies then it is useless debating the subject
Those categories you’ve got there seem mighty flawed to me. It’s exactly this kind of binary, black or white thinking that leads to people thinking that because someone like me disagrees with a specific criticism of the team or coach, they must therefore be of the second philosophy. Regardless of other criticisms I might’ve made - Bam! I’m an apologist. You yourself Show at other times you’re capable of nuance and acknowledge positives but there’s plenty who don’t. And while plenty of the criticism is warranted, there’s also plenty of the accepted wisdom of the critics that is debatable, and other parts seem to lack hard evidence. Someone claimed the other day that if Host were at Souths he’d be starting over Sutton for example. Other parts are flat out provable lies ( see our years claim that there were 8 ISP players in the panthers team when they beat us)
It is possible to disagree about this stuff, and have as high standards as you claim for yourself.
Peace man.

giboz71

First Grade
I got sucked in by a penrith fan trolling on the dragons forum!
Dammit, why didn't I see it coming?
Live and learn.

I have long ignored a poster who SD82 outed as a troll some weeks ago.

Yet I seem to be seeing the same meaningless nonsense from a different poster.

Coincidence??

MilanDragon

Juniors
Incorrect

I’m guessing you’re in group one OT. You might be surprised (or maybe not) but I’m in the first group you described as well as about 90% of the posters on here.

You said at the start of season top 6 was your expectation. But as the season has rolled on you have said anything less than a deep run into finals. Or if we don’t make top 4 it’s a failure, which is based on where we are now.

However like any job, if we finish top 6 Mcgregor has met (not bettered) your expectation. Funnily enough mine was also top 6, making week 2 of the finals and playing better footy. Just saying that, we are playing so well at the moment I’d be disappointed with anything other than a prelim final - but that wasn’t the expectation I had at the start of the season. My thought was this year would be a building block to a premiership next season but anything worse than top 6 and better footy should result in sacking the coach.

True_Believer

Juniors
Those categories you’ve got there seem mighty flawed to me. It’s exactly this kind of binary, black or white thinking that leads to people thinking that because someone like me disagrees with a specific criticism of the team or coach, they must therefore be of the second philosophy. Regardless of other criticisms I might’ve made - Bam! I’m an apologist. You yourself Show at other times you’re capable of nuance and acknowledge positives but there’s plenty who don’t. And while plenty of the criticism is warranted, there’s also plenty of the accepted wisdom of the critics that is debatable, and other parts seem to lack hard evidence. Someone claimed the other day that if Host were at Souths he’d be starting over Sutton for example. Other parts are flat out provable lies ( see our years claim that there were 8 ISP players in the panthers team when they beat us)
It is possible to disagree about this stuff, and have as high standards as you claim for yourself.
Peace man.

Actually, the definition of "apologist" is:

1. A person who makes a defense in speech or writing of a belief, idea.
2. a person who offers an argument in defence of something controversial.

Anybody who calls somebody on this forum an apologist is pretty much the pot calling the kettle black - irrespective of your stance on a subject.

It's like people stating they are looking at things objectively. Following a sporting team by its very nature is an emotional commitment so I think you would be hard pressed to find any comment in here objective.

It's those sorts of terms that get thrown out in a post and suddenly people use it like it means something.

BennyV

Referee
Actually, the definition of "apologist" is:

1. A person who makes a defense in speech or writing of a belief, idea.
2. a person who offers an argument in defence of something controversial.

Anybody who calls somebody on this forum an apologist is pretty much the pot calling the kettle black - irrespective of your stance on a subject.

It's like people stating they are looking at things objectively. Following a sporting team by its very nature is an emotional commitment so I think you would be hard pressed to find any comment in here objective.

It's those sorts of terms that get thrown out in a post and suddenly people use it like it means something.
Exactly what an apologist would say.

SBD82

Coach
I got sucked in by a penrith fan trolling on the dragons forum!
Dammit, why didn't I see it coming?
Live and learn.
Interesting to see what's happening to the panthers tonight.

They put a target on their back as a result of their good form, and have come up against a team on the up who have the extra motivation of playing the comp leaders. Looking like a 20 point loss.

Seems a familiar story.