What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are the Cowboys?

stryker

First Grade
The fact that the Roosters came second in the premiership rounds just shows that in season 2017, only Melbourne mattered.
The cowboys gave us a good month, parra similar...broncs and manly ok occasionally, cronulla struggled to repeat last year. Every side who missed the 8 were a god damned embarrassment.
As long as Storm made the GF, they were odds on to flog WHOEVER was able to make it alongside them.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
They were garbage for two thirds of the season, they hit form at the right time and managed to sneak into 8th and went from there. Even then their form was based on Hayne going in to god mode and a few other players playing very well. The fact they didn't get near the finals for the next 5 years says a lot about that team.
Why? Only half the team at most if not less would be playing for the Eels in 2013.

When the Storm have Smith and Slater retire, Bromwichs leave (as Harris has already), are we going to say they sucked in 2017 cos they're useless in 2021?!

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Why? Only half the team at most if not less would be playing for the Eels in 2013.

When the Storm have Smith and Slater retire, Bromwichs leave (as Harris has already), are we going to say they sucked in 2017 cos they're useless in 2021?!

Eels finished 8th in 2009 and 12th in 2010,teams who finish in those positions are not good teams.

That Eels GF team was trash

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Eels finished 8th in 2009 and 12th in 2010,teams who finish in those positions are not good teams.

That Eels GF team was trash

I couldn't care less about the 2010 team.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the 2009 team.

POPEYE

Coach
I think it's what fans do - bring down other teams.
Exactly, it's an imaginary thing, like hoping players not on 'their' team get injured or are overpaid or overrated . . . luckily the people that matter, the players, know better

ed-grimley

Bench
Exactly, it's an imaginary thing, like hoping players not on 'their' team get injured or are overpaid or overrated . . . luckily the people that matter, the players, know better
And it's fashionable to bag certain clubs and players.

Tommy Smith

Referee
No way are the Cowboys the worst. They didn't backdoor their way into the GF like the 2014 Dogs. They earned it by beating 3 more fancied teams all in Sydney.

Interestingly I think the 2018 Cowboys have the potential to be one of the greatest teams of all time. Even better than the 2017 Storm.

Once you add:

6. Thurston
8. Scott
10. McLean

To what they already have then they must be Premiership favourites.

grouch

First Grade
It’s a very flawed concept, having a 26 round competition and then you have a totally separate knockout competition over a month to decide the winner.

It means you often won’t get the two best sides in the GF and that what happened this year. It was 1st vs 8th, that says it all.
I don't think it's flawed. Finishing 1st in a 26 round comp is about consistency. Being the best in the finals is about performing under pressure.

Lol agreed.
It's quite clearly wishful thinking that anyone had a chance against the Storm.

I already went over that, the Roosters almost full strength struggled to beat a Melb team missing all of their origin players.
Cows lost to that same team by 1 point missing their origin stars.
So, again, it is completely illogical, Roosters wouldn't have been much better.

Really? The Roosters only played the Storm once in the 2017 season did they? The game in Adelaide? Really?! Could have fooled me, and everybody else about the Round 23 match on Saturday 12 August 2017 at AAMI Park where Joe Stimson scored in the 77th minute to snatch a 16-13 win over the Roosters.

You most certainly did NOT address that at all.

p.s.

No doubt the Cowboys deserved to be there, they won the games that mattered. However, if you want to talk hypotheticals, then you cannot discount all available data.

p.p.s.

The 2017 Cowboys are definitely not the worst Grand Finalists I've ever seen.

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Really? The Roosters only played the Storm once in the 2017 season did they? The game in Adelaide? Really?! Could have fooled me, and everybody else about the Round 23 match on Saturday 12 August 2017 at AAMI Park where Joe Stimson scored in the 77th minute to snatch a 16-13 win over the Roosters.

You most certainly did NOT address that at all.

p.s.

No doubt the Cowboys deserved to be there, they won the games that mattered. However, if you want to talk hypotheticals, then you cannot discount all available data.

p.s.s.

The 2017 Cowboys are definitely not the worst Grand Finalists I've ever seen.
ps
pps
ppps