What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are we better with SJ or Lino at no7?

Iafeta

Referee
Lol no. Just no on Lino. A bit of width in attack and a number of times he’s been clutching thin air.

vvvrulz

Coach
This was always a very foolish thread to begin with.

Someone else mentioned it's shocking the idea even got legs. And it did, not just here, it was genuine water cooler conversation - Lino taking us to potential that Princess never could.

I feel sorry for him, he's a great backup option who's done a sterling job in cover, but we're never going to get more than that out of him.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
We should run with Lino to preserve our Shauny is what I said earlier but now, I just hope Shaun comes back very soon.

Blair

Coach
We should run with Lino to preserve our Shauny is what I said earlier but now, I just hope Shaun comes back very soon.

In the game day thread we both agreed that we missed him terribly in attack. In the second-half we were camped in Melbourne's twenty for quite a while, but couldn't penetrate.

I really like Lino, but this thread was just so unfair to both him and Johnson. Even Mooks got in on the act, which had me deeply concerned. I'm hoping he was just motivating our SJ, and Lino can be left to develop his own game without this type of pressure.

SJ clearly our first choice
But replace Lino with SJ in this game (Storm) wouldn't change the result.
(Missing Harris, Luke and 2 defensive centres)

Iron Lion

Juniors
Lol no. Just no on Lino. A bit of width in attack and a number of times he’s been clutching thin air.

How about NO to Mannering too?, he got exploited badly last night as a ball carrier and as a defender when he was run right pass into a storm try.

It was a shocker for the entire team, nothing changes with SJ there last night.

Iron Lion

Juniors
Just maybe there was to much silver lining with the Warriors performances to date as the terrible stat is we have the most miss tackles in the NRL.

Iafeta

Referee
Agree the missed tackle count v our position on the table is an anomaly. It got found out last night, hit our edges at pace and it crumbled badly.

Didn’t mind Mannerings ball carrying. He was no better or worse than anyone else out there. But his defence this year has been poor. He missed a sitter last week on Tariq Sims, and was caught out for a couple of soft tries last night. He looks really light, perhaps too light. Could also be 280 odd games of 50 tackles a game catching up with him. Interesting to see if he can rebound and whether he may pull up stumps after this year.

Interesting on SJ. I’m sure people would be crying blue murder if he had some of the defensive frailties Mason showed last night. But then with Mason some are just happy shrugging their shoulders.

vvvrulz

Coach
How about NO to Mannering too?, he got exploited badly last night as a ball carrier and as a defender when he was run right pass into a storm try.

Lol here we go again, Mannering = Lino huh?

Mannering was poor, but still better than half the team. He delivered his usual high work rate with generally strong carries and effective tackles. A couple of really bad missed tackles and both were plain inexcusable, but also uncharacteristic.

This was probably Mannering's worst game for us in about five years, but yep let's dump him.

JJ

Immortal
Mannering is obviously fine, he's working his way back from injury he was far from the worst

vvvrulz

Coach
Didn’t mind Mannerings ball carrying. He was no better or worse than anyone else out there. But his defence this year has been poor. He missed a sitter last week on Tariq Sims, and was caught out for a couple of soft tries last night. He looks really light, perhaps too light. Could also be 280 odd games of 50 tackles a game catching up with him. Interesting to see if he can rebound and whether he may pull up stumps after this year.

Bit harsh to say he's been poor all year.

The Sims miss was bad, as were the howlers last night, but there's still a lot of big work going in with good carries and multiple try savers especially against the Dragons. It's below his usual standard, but he's still generally making our 3,2,1s and HMs.

I'm going to get worried if he keeps missing tackles like this for weeks to come, but if anyone is allowed a bit of a form dip it's Mannering.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
I don't think Mannerings problems are due to weight loss, I think its more mental. In the missed tackles I remember, he was either hanging off the ball carrier or picking it up too late. I'd say at this stage its just 'ring rust' or he's just finding his feet back in the game. He had no pre-season and I did mention earlier in the year something about Mannering coming back and we start losing, that was a joke at the time but forward the clock to now and maybe I was SLIGHTLY on to something.

Interesting on SJ. I’m sure people would be crying blue murder if he had some of the defensive frailties Mason showed last night. But then with Mason some are just happy shrugging their shoulders.

Most of it comes down to expectations.

From your top talent in both skills and pay cheque we expect performances of 8-10 out of 10 and don't accept anything below a 7.
I would put RTS, Luke, SJ, Mannering, Blair, Green and Harris in this group and Fus is entering the zone.

When Lino really sits around the expectations of say 5, he pulls out 7-8 in his last 2 games expectations shift (temporarily) until last night pulling out a 4 at best, it's not as big a shock or calling for his head like is SJ pulls out a 5-6 and the "off with his head" calls go out due to expectations.

Leber

Bench
Anyone who thinks Mannering was the cause of that loss needs to be psychiatrically assessed.

Latest posts