What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
Veteran back on the flank
Dragons Den News
r0_0_2000_3000_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Jason Nightingale will shift back to the wing this weekend.

HE’S been a fixture on the wing for a decade, but Dragons stalwart Jason Nightingale says he’s willing reprise his recent switch to a bench utility role if called on.

Nightingale has spent most of his 261 games on the flank where he’s scored 109 tries. He was shifted to the bench for his side’s round 14 clash with Canterbury and has started the past four games from the interchange.

He’ll return to the right wing, with Kurt Mann moving to the bench, for Sunday’s clash with the Tigers but said he’ll happily play anywhere in the 17 if need be.

“I’ve enjoyed the challenge, it’s a bit of a rush when you come on in the middle and you don’t have long,” Nightingale said.

“Who knows whether I’ll be back there in the future but I’ll obviously be doing all I can to make sure I play the best I can on the wing this weekend.

“I think Kurt earned that opportunity, he’ valuable to our team wherever he plays and I wanted to try and do the same. If it happens in the future I’ll do the same thing.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5525563/veteran-flyer-back-on-the-flank/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
macdonald-n-jc-050718_321.jpg

DRAGONS

Nene learns from controversial 'try'
Author
Chris Kennedy
Timestamp
Wed 11 Jul 2018, 03:05 PM

Dragons winger Nene Macdonald says it was his controversial try against the Roosters in round eight that laid the foundations for last week's stunning four-pointer against the Storm.

In round eight Macdonald leapt for the corner only for Cooper Cronk to jolt his arm; the subsequent 'try' ruling from the NRL Bunker was deemed incorrect by refs boss Bernard Sutton.

Macdonald told NRL.com that Dave Ackers, who coached Macdonald at Kirwan State High in Townsville, had texted him after that Roosters game to advise him he should have switched the ball into his left hand to score the try.

That advice was still resonating when Macdonald saw a glimpse of the left edge of the try line against the Storm - with Curtis Scott racing across in cover, Macdonald dutifully ensured the ball was in his left hand to avoid a repeat of the arm contact that should have cost him in round eight.

Nene's incredible finish

However, with Scott rocking Macdonald across the touch-line with a full-body shot, he realised in a split second his only hope of reaching the line was to transfer the ball back to his right. In one smooth movement, he transferred the ball, leapt, and grounded it centimetres inside the touch-in-goal line with the rest of his body suspended outside the field of play.

"It's pretty funny, [Ackers] sort of gave it to me that game against Roosters when I put it out with my right hand and Cronk sort of nudged my hand and everyone was giving it a 50-50, it ended up coming down as try but he said 'you should be swapping hands'," Macdonald said at a kids' coaching clinic for local fans at Bexley during the week.

"I texted him straight after that [Storm] game 'how bout that!' I knew [Scott] was going to try and hit it out so I swapped to my left then as I was going out I wasn't able to reach with my left so I put it in my right and just got it down in time.

"It was a pretty good try everyone's been telling me, all the little kids saying 'how'd you score that!' It's pretty funny."

Macdonald said while the team was very unhappy with the defensive effort in the 52-30 loss, he had watched the game back and was amazed by the quality of entertainment.

"As a fan it was such a wonderful game to watch. There haven't been many games like that, try for try until it was 30-30 then they sort of blew us out," he said.

In particular he praised the efforts of younger players from both teams chancing their arms and nailing some tries.

Match Highlights: Storm v Dragons - Round 17, 2018

The result tipped the Dragons out of top spot on the Telstra Premiership ladder on differential – a spot they can potentially reclaim if they beat the Wests Tigers at Kogarah on Sunday.

There will be some extra motivation for Macdonald, who bagged a double in a big win for the Titans at Kogarah in 2016 but is try-less in eight starts at the venue since switching to the Dragons in 2017.

"I haven't scored there yet for Dragons, I've scored for other teams against Dragons at Kogarah so now I feel like I've got to get a try there this week," he laughed.

The Queensland-raised flyer and Maroons hopeful also admitted a big part of him will be cheering on the Blues – or at least four of them – in the third match of the Holden State of Origin series on Wednesday night.

In particular Macdonald's left-edge partner Tariq Sims, who will be making his long-awaited NSW debut after a strong season.

"I'm so stoked for him, he's such a good person, one of those guys who puts everyone else first," Macdonald said of Sims.

"The opportunity he's got, he really deserves it, he's been playing such good footy this year and he's really lifted our left edge.

"I do go for my boys [the NSW Dragons] because we all stick together as one team but yeah in my heart I'm a Maroon, grew up up north so that's who I go for. Hopefully one day I might chuck the jersey on and verse the boys but I'll be going for them, I'll be going for my teammates.

"We've got some very talented outside backs in the Maroons team so it's tough to crack. The good thing about them is they're very loyal so you have to play outstanding to get in there because they stick to their boys which is really good."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/07/14/nene-learns-from-controversial-try/

getsmarty

Immortal
McGregor confident these Dragons won't run out of puff
Christian NicolussiUpdated14 July 2018 — 6:12pmfirst published at 6:00pm

Rugby League
Paul McGregor was in his lounge room watching Origin III when a fired-up Tariq Sims jumped to his feet in anger and crash-tackled his little St George Illawarra teammate Ben Hunt.

McGregor's teenage son, Kade, asked the old man what was going on.
Are they going to be all right'?,'' Kade asked.

"Of course they will be, son,'' Mary fired back. "It's Origin. It's state versus state, mate versus mate.''

If there was one NRL coach relieved more than most the Origin period finally came to a close this week, it was McGregor.

The man known as "Mary" had his beloved Dragons sitting nicely on top of the NRL ladder when that dreaded representative season rolled into town.

Related Article

Dragons
Nene the Big Mac back home in PNG
When the Origin players arrived for the captain's run on Saturday, it was just the fifth time in 29 days the team had all been together.

McGregor must have been tempted to hand out a few name cards.

"The last time they all trained after an Origin, all they wanted to do was talk and catch up,'' McGregor says.

Origin hangovers are nothing new. But you have to wonder how flat a few of the Dragons will be, especially given there were a number of first-timers involved in the series, such as baby Blues Jack de Belin, Paul Vaughan and Sims.

Ben Hunt also came under heavy fire for one dud kick in game two, which cost him the Maroons No. 7 jersey.

Plenty of rival fans are waiting for the Dragons to run out of puff. You can usually set your watch by the Dragons choking.

They did last year when they lost six of their last nine games.

In 2016 they dropped seven of their last nine.

But McGregor rattled off some good reasons as to why this year there will be different.

For starters, they are a lot better placed on the ladder.

Leading into the corresponding round last year, the Dragons had nine wins and seven losses, compared to their 12-4 record this season.

The pressure of making the eight is not there.

A top-four finish – not the minor premiership – remains the Dragons key goal.

There have also been changes to key personnel. The personnel McGregor wanted.

English hard man James Graham knows all about finals football.

So does Hunt.

McGregor also knows what to expect when the whips start cracking.

The Origin experience, some believe, may have McGregor's players mentally fatigued, but it can also provide them with plenty of confidence back in club land.

"I feel playing at that level and on that stage, and knowing you can handle it, it gives you confidence and a belief you can do anything,'' McGregor says.

"When you come back from Origin you need to prove to people why you are an Origin player, and that's important as well.

"It's a real win for the players, but a win for us as a club.

"My players got a good taste of Origin, but didn't play big minutes and go through the wear and tear like some of the other players.''

At this point McGregor pauses and starts sifting through some notes, the kind of ones he's always got tucked under his arm when arriving for any post-match press conference.

"I've got the average minutes each player played through the series here somewhere,'' McGregor says.

'''Friz' [Tyson Frizell] averaged 58 minutes. 'Jacko' [de Belin] reached 46 minutes. [Paul] Vaughan averaged 27 minutes.

"They haven't played big minutes.

"How they back up is an unknown for a lot of the guys because they haven't played at that level before.

"But we won't be using Origin as a cop-out.

"Aside from the Denver Test, we knew all about the calendar before a ball had been kicked off.

"Teams have won grand finals with a high representation in Origin. It won't be an excuse.

"A lot of my players were chosen in the first place because of their physical and mental strength, and the fact they were the form players in the competition.

"The challenge will be playing the consistent footy like they did at the start of the season.''

If any of the Origin boys feel the pinch, it will be Hunt.

Because he lost his starting halfback spot and was hammered for one lousy kick at a crucial stage in Sydney.

McGregor had already defended Hunt after game two. It evoked memories of Sydney Roosters counterpart Trent Robinson who did likewise for Mitchell Pearce when he was heavily criticised after an Origin series loss 12 months ago.

"We're talking about a kid who didn't execute a kick,'' McGregor says. "I know what Ben brings to this footy team. I don't need to be convinced by anybody outside our four walls about what he does or doesn't bring to our team.

"Ben got selected in Origin I because he was the form halfback in the competition.

"I've got no doubts in my mind Ben will come back and play strongly for us.

"I've spoken to Ben. Social media and the coverage of the game today and the expectations on players, it's higher than ever before.

"Players just need to look after the stuff they can control.''

The other key reason the Dragons are better equipped this season has to do with performances. In a nutshell, McGregor says, there was a smaller gap between his side's best and worst.

Their last-start loss to Melbourne was one of their worst, but they were without their Origin stars, lost back-rower Jacob Host early and the inspirational Graham for the final 15 damaging minutes.

"We've played quality football this year, but not the kind of football we can't maintain,'' McGregor says.

"Last year we were inconsistent and there was a big gap between our best and worst performances. The gap is not as big this year. We've maintained higher standards this year, regardless of the opposition in front of us.''

On paper, the Dragons have a fairly decent run home. The Roosters and Warriors are the only top-eight teams they face.

The Tigers, however, have troubled teams and welcome back one player McGregor had a huge respect for – Benji Marshall.

"He's got excitement in his game and he's playing with passion, and that's a healthy mix for an experienced player,'' McGregor says.

These Dragons won't run out of puff.

Of course they won't, son.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/mc...ns-won-t-run-out-of-puff-20180713-p4zrej.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Farewell to a red and white 'angel'
female_generic_ct30x30.png

by Caitlan Charles

13th Jul 2018 4:00 PM

HER WHOLE life, Kelly Cassidy stood out from the crowd, and at her funeral, it was no different.

In a turquoise Tiffany coffin with beautiful flowers and a bottle of Moet, Kelly stood out among the sea of red and white - the colours of one of her families, the St George Illawarra Dragons.

Kelly grew up in South Grafton, where she fell in love with rugby league and started strapping for the South Grafton Rebels.

It was an obsession that stayed with her until the very end, holding the position of executive assistant to the Dragons CEO Peter Doust.

Her brother EJ Hourigan was among the family members to speak at her funeral, which was held at the Rebels home ground, McKittrick Park in South Grafton.

EJ said once Kelly entered your life, she was there to stay.

"She will stay in our memories and in our hearts forever," he said.

"She was loved by many, especially her family. As we know she may have been small in stature, but she had a heart that would put Phar Lap's to shame.

"She had many talents; shopping was one of those talents, she could boss anyone around."

When she took her first job at the St George Illawarra club as a bartender, EJ said she continued to impress everyone as she moved up the ladder into her latest role.

"She always had a philosophy, if you want a job done correctly, do it yourself. Big words for such a small woman," he said.

"But damn well did she live up to that mantra every day of her life.

"Every time she came home she was making some of her glorious cocktails in one hand, and in the other, she'd be on the phone telling someone how to do their job."

Kelly was 41 when she died on July 2, having had a stroke in her home. But EJ said she was still helping people beyond the grave.

"We know her heart has been placed into the body of someone else, and that person is going strong," he said.

"That person has just been given the heart of an angel and will be a better person for it."

Former St George Illawarra players including Shaun Timmins were among the hundreds of people who attended her funeral on Friday.

A large number of club players and officials couldn't attend the funeral because their flight from Sydney was cancelled.

Friends and family gathered at Grafton District Golf Club following the service.

https://www.dailyexaminer.com.au/news/farewell-to-a-red-and-white-angel/3466461/#/0

getsmarty

Immortal
Brett Morris considering a return to Dragons
Adrian Proszenko14 July 2018 — 7:05pm
  • Send via Email
Brett Morris could return to St George Illawarra after his former club made a play for him for 2019.

Morris is off contract and was resigned to leaving Canterbury at the end of the season. However, the departure of contracted stars Moses Mbye and Aaron Woods has given the Bulldogs some salary cap space that will be used to try to retain the former NSW and Australian three-quarter.

The Dragons had attempted to poach Morris before the June 30 transfer window closed, but Canterbury felt they had gone through enough roster upheaval already and that his exit wouldn’t have saved that much money anyway.

Twin brother Josh has already signed for Cronulla for next year and there is a feeling at Belmore they could use Brett’s experience as the club navigates its way through a difficult period.

The Red V’s chances of snaring Morris could hinge on the decision of another experienced winger, Jason Nightingale. The Dragons are prepared to offer Nightingale a modest contract for next season, one that would require him to take a dramatic pay cut. The former New Zealand international is yet to decide whether to play on next year, but will likely hold out for a better deal if he is to continue.

Morris has made 170 appearances for the Red V, following in the footsteps of his father Steve "Slippery" Morris. The 31-year-old winger will no longer be able to command the big money he is on, but the interest from the Bulldogs and Dragons gives him an opportunity to continue his career without having to head to the Super League.

Morris has been in reasonable form in a struggling Canterbury side. He has scored six tries, set up three others and averages 90.7 running metres a game. The Dapto junior’s chances of premiership success in his twilight years are higher at the Dragons than they are at the rebuilding Bulldogs, while his brother’s decision to leave Belmore may also be a factor in his thinking.

Should he return to St George Illawarra, he will continue a trend of prodigal sons returning. Robbie Farah rejoined Wests Tigers before the June 30 transfer deadline, Benji Marshall made his comeback to the same club during the off-season and Jarryd Hayne returned to where it all began at Parramatta.

St George Illawarra’s immediate focus will be on Sunday’s opponents, Wests Tigers. Coach Paul McGregor expected his Origin contingent of Tariq Sims, Ben Hunt, Tyson Frizell, Jack De Belin and Paul Vaughan to back up for the Jubilee Oval clash.

“They’re all A-OK,” McGregor said on Saturday.

“The feedback from the performance staff is that they’re all fit to play and the feedback from the players is they are mentally well to play.

“At this stage, all five will be taking the field.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/brett-morris-considering-a-return-to-dragons-20180714-p4zri2.html

getsmarty

Immortal
dragonsnewswire_1920_108012.jpg

NRL NEWS

Dragons Newswire
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 17 Jul 2018, 08:15 AM

Welcome to the Dragons newswire!

The place where all the latest updates from St George Illawarra and across the NRL media sphere will keep you up to speed each and every single day.

Tuesday, July 17

See the latest injury update on St George Illawarra winger Nene Macdonald after he failed to return against the Wests Tigers – Dragons official website

The Daily Telegraph have asked the question whether The Bunker should be able to rule on forward passes following the Roosters v Titans clash over the weekend.

NRL referees boss Bernard Sutton also had his say and said that Roosters halfback Sean O'Sullivan shouldn't have been awarded a try against the Roosters – Sydney Morning Herald

Dragons coach Paul McGregor refused to blame State of Origin on the club's four-point loss to the Wests Tigers over the weekend – Dragons official website

NRL.com believes familiarity – not fatigue – contributes to the influence State of Origin players on the NRL competition proper.

Former Dragon Siliva Havili has re-signed with the Canberra Raiders for a further two seasons – NRL.com

Content is taken from newspapers, websites, blogs and other various media outlets.

Latest club news | Latest from Dragons TV

Check out dragons.com.au/news.html official news for all the latest club news

Please note: The views expressed in news, blogs and other media links do not necessarily reflect those of St George Illawarra or associated companies. The Dragons aren't responsible for the content or accuracy of any external websites.

Some media outlets may limit the amount of content you can view without a paid subscription.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/07/17/dragons-newswire/

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra Dragons vow to fortify defence as NRL finals approach
Local Sport
r0_15_3361_1905_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

In-form: Dragons prop Paul Vaughan. Picture: AAP Image/Craig Golding.

When the St George Illawarra Dragons claimed premiership glory in 2010 it was on the back of the best defence in the competition.

When the Dragons commenced the 2018 season with eight wins from their opening nine games it was again built on the back of a punishing defensive structure.

So with St George Illawarra stumbling in recent weeks, it’s no surprise that the wobbles have come on the back of a decline in the team’s defence.

The side conceded 52 points in the loss to Melbourne a fortnight ago before allowing the Tigers to score 20 in Sunday’s defeat.

The pair of losses marks the first time the side has lost back-to-back games this season and unsurprisingly led many to ask if the Dragons are on track for their annual late season collapse.

But St George Illawarra players aren’t worried.

“I think we’re looking alright to be honest,” forward Paul Vaughan said. “We did a lot of hard work earlier in the season to put ourselves in a good position. We’re still in the top four, so if we can just put a couple of games together leading into the finals, we’ll be sweet.

“Defensively we have a goal each week that we don’t want to let teams score over 16 points.

“Obviously the last two weeks the Storm and the Tigers have done that and they’ve won the game, so that’s just something we’ve got to get back doing at training.

“It’s a big attitude thing defence, so we’ll be focusing on that this weekend.”

The defensive slump comes as the Dragons have completed a brutal Origin period, with five players featuring throughout the series.

With so many players missing games and training, a side that built it’s early season success on the back of meticulous preparation has come unstuck.

Vaughan’s Origin teammate Tyson Frizell admits the team’s defence hasn’t been up to standard in recent weeks, but he’s confident with a full week of training under their belt, fans will see a much improved showing against the Cowboys on Saturday night.

“That’s one of the areas where we’ve slackened off,” Frizell said.

“We had a massive focus on the defensive side of things, we know we can attack with the players we do have.

“Teams at the end of the year who can defend really well and hold teams to a low amount of points are who’s usually there at the end of the year. For us going forward, our focus is definitely the defensive side.”

With the Origin stars returning to the fold, Vaughan feels they have a responsibility to lift the team as they make a run towards the finals.

“It’s good at the Saints,” Vaughan said. “Because there are so many Origin players, it’s good we can come back and share our experience and become better players and lift the group collectively.

“It’s good for the boys to see us coming back and playing club footy, because if it wasn’t for them, we wouldn’t be playing Origin anyway.”

In the midst of some of the the best form of his career, Vaughan has added motivation throughout the final six weeks of the season, a possible Kangaroos selection.

“To be named in the Australian merit team is pretty cool. If I got an opportunity to play one of those games for Australia, words couldn’t describe it.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ortify-defence-as-nrl-finals-approach/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
Stat Attack: St George Illawarra Dragons slipping away from defensive game plan
Author
Tanisha Stanton
Timestamp
Tue 17 Jul 2018, 05:13 PM

St George Illawarra have failed to live up to their goal of keeping teams below 16 points each game in their past three outings and they have paid the price.

They suffered back-to-back wins for the first time this season in their losses to the Storm and the Wests Tigers over the past fortnight after getting out of jail late in Wollongong with a 20-16 victory over last-placed Parramatta.

NSW prop Paul Vaughan said the Dragons need to rediscover the defensive intensity they have lost over the past three weeks or their finals tilt will lose serious momentum.

St George Illawarra have allowed just five teams this season to score more than 16 points, with three of those costing them victory – two of those have been the try-fest two weeks ago when the Storm thumped them 52-30 and on Sunday when the Wests Tigers ran in four tries on the way to a 20-16 upset at Kogarah.

Over the last three games, they have averaged 37 missed tackles and 16.3 ineffective tackles.

Vaughan said their defensive structures would be revisited at training.

"Over the last two weeks the Storm and the Tigers have done that [scored more than 16 points] and they've won the game," Vaughan said.

stat-attack_dragons_20180717.jpg

"So that's something we need to get back to doing at training - we will be looking at video tomorrow and assessing that situation."

Fellow forward Tyson Frizell shut down talk around the Dragons again fading away in the closing rounds of the season as they have done in previous years.

He said the side's mentality has shifted this year and feels they are just one win away from getting back on track.

"Rightly so people can try and write us off, it's happened in the past - this time of year but now we are sitting in a different position," Frizell said.

"At stages last year we tried to find too many things of what was going wrong.

Match Highlights: Dragons v Wests Tigers - Round 18, 2018

"We've held our spot for a long time and we're not playing that bad of footy.

"A lot of teams are playing really well at the moment and I guess we're going through that stage where we are struggling to put 80-minute performances together.

"But we know what we need to do and we're only one good performance away from hopefully getting back to the footy that we know we can play."

The powerhouse forward said despite back-to-back losses, the squad remained in high spirits.

"We're still in a good position," Frizell said,

"We know we can attack with the plays that we do have - one of the areas we slacked off is our defence.[The focus] is definitely on the defence side and hopefully we can get back to that [early-season form]."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/17...agons-slipping-away-from-defensive-game-plan/

getsmarty

Immortal
‘Predictable’: Michael Ennis explains how the Dragons can get their mojo back
Dragons
simon_brunsdon.jpg

645011716ecf255a1485af9c8984dde4

Dejected Paul Vaughan of the Dragons after losing to Wests Tigers.Source: AAP
MICHAEL Ennis says St George Illawarra has become “predictable” and explained what the Dragons need to do to rediscover their mojo.

A loss to bottom-eight outfit Wests Tigers on Sunday raised plenty of questions over the club that was leading the competition only a few weeks ago.

The Red V have slipped to third on the NRL ladder, sitting behind South Sydney on points and Melbourne on percentage after 18 rounds.

The club has been guilty of starting a season red hot and then falling away in the back half in previous years.

Ennis can see some worrying signs for Paul McGregor’s men.

“I think there are some concerns there,” he told Fox Sports.

“I’m by no means writing them off, they’ve had a wonderful start to the season. But if you think back to their Round 10 game against South Sydney, they were blown off the park that day.

“Then if it wasn’t for the Aaron Woods penalty they get beaten by the Dogs. They led them by eight or 10 points with a few minutes to go.

“They were flogged in Melbourne, they had 50 points put on them down there, and they got a real lesson yesterday (from the Tigers) from some veterans.”

Ennis believes he knows the reason why the Dragons can be hot and cold.

He says their forwards need to rediscover the physicality they showed earlier in the season, and the halves Gareth Widdop and Ben Hunt need to learn to better manage games.

“The form of Hunt and Widdop, their combination has been superb, I think heading into yesterday’s game they had come up with 30 try assists between them,” Ennis said.

“But their game management yesterday was tested, and the veterans Marshall and Farah outshone them and owned the back end of the game in particular.

“For me Widdop and Hunt roll the dice too much, they try to come up with the big play.

“It came off once yesterday (Sunday), a chip and chase came off and it was spectacular, but in other parts of the game they get it wrong.

“They sort of hope with their kicking game rather than build pressure.

“Their game that they built at the start of the year was aggressive through their forward pack, then they were allowed to move the ball to their likes of (Matt) Dufty and (Euan) Aiken.

“At the moment we’re seeing a lot of forwards ball playing in the middle third of the field and it’s become predictable.

I think they need to get back to that physicality through the middle, led by Jack de Belin and Cameron McInnes with that line speed, then you play through the scrum lines with (Tyson) Frizell and (Tariq) Sims.

“There’s a bit of work to do.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k/news-story/57668a61d49e1b0ac78749271f40d78d

getsmarty

Immortal
Sims's to reunite at Red V
Author
Brad Walter & Dan Walsh
Timestamp
Wed 18 Jul 2018, 06:02 PM

It's an indication of how seriously Tariq Sims treats State of Origin that the Dragons forward didn't know he and brother Korbin would be reunited next year until he was told he had to front the media on Wednesday.

Tariq was informed about the deal on the same training field where their mother Jacqueline used to watch them as juniors at WIN Stadium.

Despite growing up in Gerringong and playing in the Illawarra Steelers junior representative teams, Korbin has pledged his allegiances to Queensland while Tariq last week made his debut for NSW.

As a result, the brothers have had little contact during the Origin period and while Tariq had spoken to Korbin about joining St George Illawarra he didn't know the Brisbane prop was returning home until asked to speak to reporters at training after the three-year deal was announced.

Six Hall of Fame inductees named for 2018

"It is a sore point," Tariq said about Korbin aligning with the Maroons after signing with the Broncos as a teenager. "While this has all been going on we haven't been talking.

"I'm assuming everyone else knew but I didn't find out until I got told I had media. They just said, 'you're up, we want you to talk about how we have just signed your brother'. I said, 'how good is that'."

An excited Sims pointed out to media the spot on the western side of the No.2 ground at WIN Stadium where his mother used to sit and offer advice to him and Korbin while they were training for the Steelers' Harold Mathews Cup and SG Ball Cup teams.

"We couldn't drive so Mum used to sit on the other side of that demountable [building] at every training session and just spray us," Tariq said. "She'd tell us what we were doing right, and what we were doing wrong."

The advice clearly did no harm, as Tariq, Korbin and older brother Ashton all made it to the Telstra Premiership and were all recruited by the Broncos in 2008 after Ashton had started his career as a Dragon.

Korbin was just 15 and qualifies for Queensland as it was before the Origin eligibility rules were changed to stipulate a player must reside in the state before the age of 13.

He and Tariq played together at Newcastle, where Korbin first rose to prominence as an aggressive front-rower, earning a call-up into the Maroons' 20-man squad in 2015.

"It is a pretty special moment and I am obviously very excited to get Korbin back down here playing some good football," Tariq said. "We talk being family but as far as where he was with his decision and what he wanted to do, that was all up to him.

"I said to him I'd love to have you here and explained what we are building towards and what sort of direction we are going in but ultimately the decision was up to him.

"Luckily we have got a good recruitment tool in Mary [coach Paul McGregor]. He addresses his players and talks to his players like they are family so whatever was said behind closed doors obviously worked."

Sims will replace New Zealand forward Leeson Ah Mau, who is returning to Auckland to join the Warriors at the end of the season.

"He is a 27-year-old front rower who is just coming into his prime," Tariq said of Korbin. "He has had a few injuries but on the other side of that the rest of his body has had a lot of time to heal and as a growing front-rower he brings a lot of aggression, and he can ball play a bit too."

With the emergence of Tevita Pangai jnr, Matt Lodge, Payne Haas and David Fifita, he has slid down the Broncos pecking order this season, and will join the Dragons on the recommendation of mentor Wayne Bennett.

"The club spoke to Wayne Bennett about Korbin, and he gave him a big rap as a person and coachable-wise, and where he sees him developing moving forward. We're really pleased to get him on board," Dragons director of pathways Ian Millward said.

"We know how close Korbin was to playing for Queensland, and he's seen the advancement of [brother] Tariq to play Origin this season as well as Jack de Belin, Paul Vaughan and Tyson Frizell so we know he's keen to follow in their footsteps."

The signing of Sims, who has played 112 NRL games and seven Tests for Fiji, also bodes well for St George Illawarra's retention of Tariq when he comes off contract at the end of next season.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/07/19/sims-to-reunite-at-red-v/

getsmarty

Immortal
Jillaroos star Kezie Apps undergoes surgery ahead of inaugural women’s NRL
January 30, 2018 2:11pm
655d469623cfb33304308157408a16fb

Kezie Apps after her latest bout of surgery

AMANDA LULHAM The Daily Telegraph

ALMOST a year after she broke her leg at the Auckland Nines, Jillaroos star Kezie Apps has undergone surgery again to remove the six screws and plate inserted in her leg so she could play at the rugby league World Cup.

Apps opted to undergo surgery early this season so she would be available for NSW Blues selection for the women’s State of Origin and inaugural women’s national rugby league competition in August.

Apps was confined to a moon boot for 14 weeks after breaking her leg and tearing ankle ligaments while playing for the Jillaroos in New Zealand last February.

Australian Jillaroos player Kezie Apps training at the World Cup. Source: AAP

“I was getting a little bit of pain from one of the screws so wanted it out,’’ Apps said after the operation this week.

“It will be a six to eight week recovery before I can run. There were six screws to come out so six holes that need to heal. But it will all be fine.’’

The operation means Apps is unavailable for the Commonwealth Nines event to be played in Brisbane in February in the lead-up to the Commonwealth Games.

But the former women’s Dally M winner said if she had delayed the surgery she might not have been back at full strength and speed well for the planned tournament in May and the Origin battle between NSW and Queensland later this year.

Apps, who has, taken up a role with the Dragons as a community and development officer, said she is keen to know further details of the first women’s rugby league premiership which will be contested by six still unknown clubs in August.

The New Zealand Warriors this week indicated they are also keen to have a team involved in the inaugural women’s NRL competition which will run for six weeks and culminate with a final to be played on grand final day as a curtain raiser to the men’s season decider.

Rugby league is one of the last major sports to get a major women’s competition up and running but which when established will be fighting for a share of the attention already garnered by competitions including the W-League, Super Netball, the WBBL, WNBL and AFLW.

Apps and her Jillaroos teammates showed there is a real appetite for the women’s game at the elite level with their 23-16 win over in the World Cup late last year well received by fans.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/break...l/news-story/1ebf86d68168c0bcc891d0f63dfb7f9c

getsmarty

Immortal
Townsville getaway to boost St George Illawarra Dragons ahead of Sydney Roosters test
  • Dragon's Den
    r622_287_2201_1251_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Focused: Dragons coach Paul McGregor. Picture: Sylvia Liber

• The trip to Townsville may have produced more than just the two competition points for St George Illawarra, with Paul McGregor believing the win over the Cowboys – and the week away as a team – could be vital to the Dragons’ season.

St George Illawarra face a blockbuster clash with the in-form Sydney Roosters on Sunday needing to win to maintain their push for the minor premiership.

But the Dragons will also be looking over their shoulder. Just two points separate first-placed Melbourne and Cronulla in fifth with six rounds to play.

A loss for St George Illawarra could see them slip outside the top four. Evidence of the logjam at the top of table can be seen in the swapping of ladder positions in recent weeks, with South Sydney falling from the summit to third after their loss to the Wests Tigers on Saturday.

The fourth-placed Roosters warmed up for the Dragons clash with a 56-24 hiding of an embarrassing Manly on Sunday. With the Roosters’ and Dragons’ State of Origin stars back on deck, the clash at Allianz Stadium could be an early finals preview.

The Dragons will return to Allianz for the first time since they got the better of the Tri-Colours in front of an Anzac Day-record crowd of more than 41,000 to confirm their premiership credentials, downing the Roosters 24-8 in round eight.

Dragons coach McGregor believes the four-day trip north of the border had helped his team get back to basics and reset ahead of the run in to the finals.

“For us it’s been really good to get away as a group. We haven’t been together for a long time. We did some revision and ownership around the game against the Tigers for the first time since round 11. That helps your footy team,” he said.

“We’re a team that preparation and practice is everything for us. We have got some new players in important positions. Young [Matt Dufty] is in his second year [of first grade]. We’ve got a new halfback [Ben Hunt] next to [Gareth Widdop]. James [Graham] is new so some important people in our side.

“So the more work you do together the better you become. And we’re a team that when we prepare well we play well.”

Despite criticism that the Dragons were on the slide during the Origin period, St George Illawarra remain fighting for the minor premiership, level on points with the Storm.

A spirited loss to Melbourne – with both teams shorn of their Origin stars – and a flat performance against the Wests Tigers had critics ready to put the red pen through the Dragons as they had done in previous seasons after a strong start.

But McGregor rejected talk of a slip as he eyes a strong end to the regular season.

“I don’t know if it was a bump. We lost a game against Melbourne where we were in the game for 65 minutes. Then sort of fell away at the back end of that game,” he said.

“But there were a few things that happened in that game that you’d like your time over. Our whole back-row were out then we lost a back-rower in the first four minutes and threw our interchange out. We had [Jason Nightingale] who normally plays as a winger on the edge.

“Then we lost a game last week which we would have liked to win against a Tigers side that then came out the following week and beat Souths.

“So the bump no, but our character gets tested every time we lose a game of footy. So we’ve got an opportunity each week to go out as a group of men and protect that character.”

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/...boost-dragons-ahead-of-roosters-test/?cs=3833