What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ashes squad

Horrie Is God

First Grade
So i guess it's Frankie Ahmed now!?!?..

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/australia/immigration-minister-brendan-oconnor-announces-fawad-ahmed-officially-becomes-australian-citizen/story-fn2mcu3x-1226673033442#.UdI-HDtHI_s

Immigration minister Brendan O'Connor announces Fawad Ahmed officially becomes Australian citizen..

By Carly Adno News Limited Network July 02, 2013 10:55AM

Australia's spin-bowling ranks will today receive a boost when Fawad Ahmed receives his Australian citizenship.

The Pakistan-born legspinner had his application fast-tracked by Cricket Australia in a bid to have him eligible to play in the Ashes.

Ahmed was cleared to play for Australia A during their recent tour of the UK, but under the ICC's Player Eligibility Criteria was unable to be picked for the Ashes until he receives an Australian passport.

That announcement is expected to be made by Federal Minister Brendan O'Connor MP in Melbourne this afternoon.

The 31-year-old took just two wickets for Australia A in their tour matches against Gloucestershire and Ireland, but remains a promising prospect.

Ahmed will travel to South Africa with the Australia A squad later this month and could receive his Ashes call-up for the last four Test matches.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Scissorhands BM? He's about the 10th best keeper on tour. Poor trolling.

Bunnies Man - I think you can get the eraser out to a couple of your "pencilled in" selections. Wade is about as much chance as playing as me - Haddin is the vice captain, has been making runs and is a certainty.

In regards to Hughes, I think Boof showed his hand in the last game by playing him at 5. The selection of the team to play Worcestershire may indicate Cowan is firming for the #3 position, but I wouldn't rule out Khawaja.

I'm not sure what to make of Siddle not playing in this next game. Does it mean he's a certainty and is being rested or does it mean he's been ruled out of the 1st Test and essentially Harris and Bird are bowling off for his position??
That was a brainfart. I was reading the article and trying to write a post and doing something else aswell, men aren't designed to multitask.

But yes of course I meant Haddin will be keeper.

Point is I think we can be reasonably confident about 8 players who will be in the first test. With 3 spots up in the air at this point.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Looks like Cowan might be in at 3.

So that just leaves the #6 batsman in doubt and a bowler.

I'd like to see Khawaja and Harris.

Helmet Man

Juniors
Smith should be at 6

Totally agree. Smith and Haddin would score good runs in the lower order.

1. Shane Watson
2. Chris Rogers
3. Phillip Hughes
4. Michael Clarke
5. ????
6. Steve Smith
7. Brad Haddin
8. Peter Siddle
9. James Pattinson
10. Mitchell Starc/Ryan Harris
11. Nathan Lyon

Helmet Man

Juniors
imo (despite his woeful Shield stats this year) Dave Hussey would have filled the #5 spot very comfortably. A very good middle order bat in tests. Other than him Callum Ferguson would have been the next contender for the #5 spot.

Last edited:

aussies1st

Staff member
Assuming the cricinfo lineup is right then Hughes has been moved to 5. Number 3 is between Cowan and Khawaja. Number 6 still anyone guess, Smith could throw a spanner in the works with some runs.

Meapro Ham

Juniors
The top 6 I would like to see is:

Watson
Rogers
Khawaja
Clarke
Warner
Smith

But more likely it will be:

Watson
Rogers
Cowan
Clarke
Hughes
Warner

Either way its pretty ordinary. Probably the weakest batting line up since WSC days. Looking forward to summer when Boof gets to pick his own side.

lockyno1

Post Whore
imo (despite his woeful Shield stats this year) Dave Hussey would have filled the #5 spot very comfortably. A very good middle order bat in tests. Other than him Callum Ferguson would have been the next contender for the #5 spot.

Just what we need a 35 year old David Hussey with an average technique with the ball is moving. Well I can see this one working....

Ferguson, Joe Burns, or that Tasmanian opener who got a ton in the final (name escapes me)...would all be better options.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Just what we need a 35 year old David Hussey with an average technique with the ball is moving. Well I can see this one working....

Ferguson, Joe Burns, or that Tasmanian opener who got a ton in the final (name escapes me)...would all be better options.
Silk????

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
New Sth Welshman actually

Jordan Silk hails from Penruff

bit young tho

BunniesMan

Immortal
Jordan Silk is a Tasmanian. Who cares where he was born. He doesn't play for us, he isn't one of us.

Latest posts