What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ashes squad

TheParraboy

Staff member
God help us if Hughes bats at 3. Very lucky to be there at all.

He has a test average of 33 from 24 tests but that includes his first two tests when he scored a heap of runs against South Africa when they hadn't yet worked out his weaknesses. If you exclude those first two tests his average drops to 27, with one century, from 22 tests.

Averages 17 in his 5 tests against the poms. They would be laughing to see him still there. Its all the proof they need to know that we haven't improved since the last time they smashed us. Can't play quality pace, can't play spin. All the poms have to do is bowl short outside off and wait for him to slash one to gully and if that doesn't work bring on the spinner.

So lets put him at 3!! Please. At best he should be given one last chance in the middle order and that's all.

enter BunniesMan.....

BunniesMan

Immortal
Hughes prepares for battle

Phillip Hughes, last seen scratching around against spin in India, is steeling himself for battle against Graeme Swann after going a long way towards saving his Test spot in Australia's tour match win over Somerset.
Hughes excelled with two half-centuries in the county game and his comfort at No.4 and 5 suggested he could overcome his previous difficulties in English conditions by batting in the middle order.
That could mean coming in against spin, which on Indian pitches doctored to suit the Ravi Ashwin-led contingent was enough to put him into a state of paralysis. A dry summer means the English are likely to prepare wickets to suit Swann, who loves bowling to left-handers.
However, Hughes said he had been working hard behind the scenes on a method to combat spin and intended to tap into the knowledge of new coach Darren Lehmann, who was one of the world's most inventive players of spin bowling.
Advertisement
"I'll be talking to him day in and day out because he really dominated spin bowling through his whole career so it's something we can all keep working on," Hughes said after making 76 not out and 50 in the warm-up match against at Tauton.
"The one day [in England for the Champions Trophy] were quite dry and reversed and did turn a little bit, too. It turned here so it's about working behind the scenes in the nets and facing the spinning ball. There's things we've all been working on and I know there's a couple for myself but I won't go into them.''
Somerset's left-arm spinner George Dockrell took three second-inning wickets against the Australians but Hughes managed to turn over the strike and hit the Irishman for a pair of sixes. That's something he was unable to do until the end of the series in India.
He would almost certainly have been dropped for the Mohali Test if spare batsman Usman Khawaja (who contributed 73 to the successful runchase against Somerset) had not been one of the four players suspended for not doing their homework.
"It's nice to get off strike, doesn't matter who you're facing especially at the start of your innings," Hughes said. "But they kept changing the field and you want to try and manipulate that as much as possible. I thought he [Dockrell] bowled quite well and there was a fair bit of rough outside off stump so it was nice to get to the other end today against a spinner and on a dry pitch."
While Hughes, who claimed to have no idea where he would bat in the Ashes, enhanced his Test claims, the pressure on Ed Cowan mounted when he missed a golden chance to cement his opening position.
Cowan looked in good touch until he swiped at a wide ball and was caught behind for 46, having scored three in the first innings.
With Victorian opener Chris Rogers set to play in the next tour match against Worcestershire from Tuesday, and without a first-class hundred since his breakthrough Test ton against South Africa in Brisbane in November, Cowan's long battle to end the uncertainty swirling around his position continues. It remains to be seen whether he will have another chance to do so before the first Test at Trent Bridge, his home in county cricket this season.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/hughes-prepares-for-battle-20130630-2p4t9.html#ixzz2XfkCu14o

In the last 2 tests against India and in this latest tour match Phil Hughes has cemented his spot in the team and he has called engravers to engrave his name in the changing rooms because he will be around for a long time to come.

Do not be surprised when his names goes on the famous board at Lords for Test century makers.

He will play a key role in our battle for the Ashes.

Ed Cowan and Dave Warner will be the odd men out. Watson, Rogers and Hughes will lead our batting order to glory.

BunniesMan

Immortal
:lol:

My predictions of Hughes and Watson scoring has brought me back a bit closer to the statistical average.

vvvrulz

Coach
3 50s in Phils last 3 first class/test matches. Finally building some real consistency. He is getting his name engraved on the number 3 position

Two of those were against a worthless Somerset attack where nearly everyone got runs. The other was in a series where this was his solitary 50, he averaged 18 and was otherwise clueless as usual. And he did jack in the Champions trophy.

Yep, he's on fire.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Two of those were against a worthless Somerset attack where nearly everyone got runs. The other was in a series where this was his solitary 50, he averaged 18 and was otherwise clueless as usual. And he did jack in the Champions trophy.

Yep, he's on fire.
I couldn't care less about the CT. It's irrelevant. We're talking about real cricket now. And he got an excellent 40 odd in the last test in India as well. He was our best batsman over the last 2 tests. He's been our best batsman in the first tour game.

vvvrulz

Coach
And he got an excellent 40 odd in the last test in India as well. He was our best batsman over the last 2 tests.

Uh no... he was outscored by several including Siddle and Starc in those two tests.
I know you love a good troll but these arguments are stupidly weak.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Uh no... he was outscored by several including Siddle and Starc in those two tests.
I know you love a good troll but these arguments are stupidly weak.
Over the last two tests in India he was our best BATSMAN. Siddle and Starc aren't about to be picked in the top 6. They're not relevant.

Among the people Hughes is competing with for his job, he has been Australias best performer since the second last India test.

vvvrulz

Coach
Over the last two tests in India he was our best BATSMAN. Siddle and Starc aren't about to be picked in the top 6. They're not relevant.

Among the people Hughes is competing with for his job, he has been Australias best performer since the second last India test.

Again no. Steve Smith and Cowan both outscored Hughes in those two tests.

The fact that two bowlers outscored Hughes only highlights how crap he was, to call him Australia's best performer is just a joke.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Again no. Steve Smith and Cowan both outscored Hughes in those two tests.

The fact that two bowlers outscored Hughes only highlights how crap he was, to call him Australia's best performer is just a joke.
I didn't say Hughes got the highest score in every single game. I said as a whole he's been our best in the test and first class games since the 3rd test in India.

In that time he has scores of:
2,69,45,6,47,11,76*,50

Noone else has been that consistently good in that period.

BunniesMan

Immortal
"Darren Lehmann confirms Shane Watson and Chris Rogers will open the batting for Australia in the first #Ashes Test at Trent Bridge".

@CricketAus

https://twitter.com/CricketAus/status/351692623070756864
f**k yes. Rogers is twice the player Cowan is.

Hopefully these two cement their spots for both Ashes. f**k off both Warner and Cowan.

Those two plus, HAH/Clarke/Khawaja in the middle order and we have the talent to score match winning amounts of runs.

How good has Lehmann been already. In the links I posted above it shows how much his coaching has improved Hughesy already. Everyone looks just a lot happier to be out there and playing.

We should have got Lehmann before the India tour. His coaching would have been priceless against their spinners.

vvvrulz

Coach
The Poms are already scared:

WE'RE BACK. The Darren Lehmann era will be great. So much has already improved.

Don't get too carried away, you played Somerset which was a nothing team.

That said there is a degree of stability and common sense showing now that Lehmann has arrived. The English losing Swann is a big loss, but they are still firm favourites.

JW

Coach
Scissorhands BM? He's about the 10th best keeper on tour. Poor trolling.

Last edited:

booligal bill

Juniors
Bunnies Man - I think you can get the eraser out to a couple of your "pencilled in" selections. Wade is about as much chance as playing as me - Haddin is the vice captain, has been making runs and is a certainty.

In regards to Hughes, I think Boof showed his hand in the last game by playing him at 5. The selection of the team to play Worcestershire may indicate Cowan is firming for the #3 position, but I wouldn't rule out Khawaja.

I'm not sure what to make of Siddle not playing in this next game. Does it mean he's a certainty and is being rested or does it mean he's been ruled out of the 1st Test and essentially Harris and Bird are bowling off for his position??

Latest posts