What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Asotasi leads mutiny against Kemble

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4356176a1823.html

Kiwi coaching criticism draws reprimand

LATEST: Kiwis rugby league captain Roy Asotasi has been reprimanded over his public criticism of national coach Gary Kemble.

give me a f**king break

His comments drew strong criticism from New Zealand Rugby League (NZRL) director of coaching Graham Lowe and he was today reprimanded by NZRL chairman Ray Haffenden.

"Roy has made comments which are both inappropriate and unacceptable for any Kiwi captain or player to make about a New Zealand coach," Haffenden said.

"By doing this, Roy has shown no respect for the New Zealand coach's position. He has also shown little regard for the game's heritage and those Kiwi captains and players who have gone before him.

"I spoke to Roy this morning to tell him we couldn't have the Kiwi captain making public comments of this type about the Kiwi coach."

Read between the lines and basically Kemble has the backing of the board and Roy is walking on thin ice. Its a shame really because you don't have to be Einstein to know where this will lead. Unless there is some sort of major turn around I think Kiwi Rugby League is about to embark on a trip up sh!t creek for a while. If it came to a choice between Roy's playing and Kemble's coaching I know which way I would lean. The state that the New Zealand national team is in at the moment, I would be doing anything Roy said! He was one of about only 3 players that put in on that last tour and they need him there badly if they are going to turn things around.

ozbash

Referee
I think Kiwi Rugby League is about to embark on a trip up sh!t creek for a while.

it has to. the guts has got to be ripped out of it before it can progress, gain any credibility in NZ, and stop being the laughing stock of the rugby league world.

Roy is walking on thin ice

they wouldnt dare, lowe has a few clues, if they sacked/demoted the captain they would have nobody. The players would walk, in fact, i'd say they are not far off that now.

Its a shame really because you don't have to be Einstein to know where this will lead.

sooner rather than later , waste of f**king time appointing a new coach and support crew in september.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I seem to be going against the grain, but very unprofessional and immature on Roys part. I feel disappointed that i stuck up for the guy when he was copping a bit of flak for being a poor captain.

If he wants to get into the coach on the tour, why doesn't he also get into the pea-hearts who were standing beside him on the field, and also say that his captiancy wasn't up to scratch.

That article above from Mix is pretty fair for me in what was said, the captain shouldn't be saying sh!t like this, full stop, which shows his inexperience. You never heard Barrett syaing this sort of stuff abotu Brown, Menzies about Sharp, Hindmarsh and Buderus about Smith etc. Is also talk that Kidwell has had a meeting about this, which shows the mature way to go about things

Heard Lowe on the radio this morning as well, also not the best way to go about things. Said some things that didn't need to be said, and inbetween that had some good points

1 thing i don't understand reading through this thread

Roy attacks his coach, 3 cheers for Roy

Lowe attacks Roy, he is a w@nker

Roy's claims seem to be spot on and seems to speak for the players.

Graham and Gary attacked Roy's form amongst other things - and continued to display the 'ass clownery' we've all come to know from the NZRL.

Not hard to pick a side.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Roy attacked Kembles coaching ability on tour, Lowe attacked Roys form on tour

Same deal for me

When Kemp was coahcing the Warriors, did we hear Price and co coming out and bagging him ? If they had concerns, they weren't voiced through the media, they went through the right channels.

ozbash

Referee
When Kemp was coahcing the Warriors, did we hear Price and co coming out and bagging him ? If they had concerns, they weren't voiced through the media, they went through the right channels.

mick watson would have crucified anyone who opened their mouths, kempy included.

It would have taken huge courage for the kiwis captain to stand up a be counted. He did what he did in the interests of the team and game imo.
The NZRL seems to only have 1 interest, itself. everyone else can get f**ked.

Micistm

Bench
This is sad. The whole thing is sad. It's heartbreaking...you flick through the book 'The Kiwis' for the proud history, and cringe with embarassment over this current s***. I'm sure the Aussies won't both laughing, more shaking their heads in complete disbelief at the state of our game, which is going to effect this upcoming World Cup if it isn't careful.
It will get worse before better, no doubt about it. But you could kinda see it coming months ago. The complete clean out that should have happened didn't. Instead of starting from scatch, there was a little token shift around, and that was that.

At this stage they'll be a lot of fans getting behind Samoa.

JB

Juniors
Regardless of wether Roy was right or wrong in his criticism, it's fairly obvious that the players dont respect Kemble. They wont perform for him, he doesn't inspire them. It was obvious with their on field performances, and (although everyone sort of already worked out) off the field as well. Cut him loose.

Micistm

Bench
IMHO after the tour, a complete fresh start should have taken place. The Kiwis should have been scratched. Make every position blank, and the Captaincy up for grabs. Pick them through the year. Chairman to go, director of RL (Or whatever his position is called) to go- as rightly or wrongly his role just seems to be to antagonise- Dissolve the position, coach to go, selectors to go.

CEO appointed- a professional, not a mate. His job is the get the right people into the other positions. Change the rulebook- The coach can be anywhere. So Bennet can apply if he wants it, Bluey could. As could anyone else.

Bottom line, nothing will change until the structure does.

As for this current situation- Is Asotasi truthful in the zero confidence in the coach? If this is the case they need a unaminous front, all of them, and ideally out of the media spotlight as this game does not need more bad crap thrown on it.

I can't see this being resolved without casulties on both sides

Lossy

Juniors
Beavers Headgear said:
Roy attacked Kembles coaching ability on tour, Lowe attacked Roys form on tour

Same deal for me

No. The issue Roy raised was coaching. Lowe came back on a different tack - a classic strawman argument - which confirms his inability to actually deal with issues. He is a 'do as I say, not as I do' person. As Mixy-babe said, it's easy to pick sides.

There is an argument to be made that Roy shouldn't have come out like he did, which would be valid if the issue is in its infancy. For a Kiwi captain (and publicly proud one) to come out against the incumbent coach like this points to this being well past that, and as captain he was asked to by the other players. I'd suggest that the player concerns were raised to the NZRL and fell on deaf ears, so the players are simply upping the ante.

The public may be sick of NZRL politics, but now it looks like the players are too. Both are reacting accordingly.

ozbash

Referee
the only way things will change is for these things to be done publicly.

the official NZRL channels are clogged up with sh*t.

way to go roy.

Taniwha

Juniors
Regardless of wether Roy was right or wrong in his criticism, it's fairly obvious that the players dont respect Kemble. They wont perform for him, he doesn't inspire them. It was obvious with their on field performances, and (although everyone sort of already worked out) off the field as well. Cut him loose.

So true. I can't see why kemble doesn't wanna quit after this? Foolish pride perhaps? Roy's just trying to give the Kiwi's an honest attempt at the world cup. Big ups to Roy for standing his ground and finally delivering a message that might get through to those half wits. If it came down to nitty gritty there'd no doubt be a 100% victory to Asotasi in whether we'd want Kemble as coach or Roy as captain, and that's including Graham Lowes vote.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
I support Roy here, he has said lets get Wayne on Board to help Gary Kemble which would do wonders for him.

Remember the NZRL said they went and asked the players about how Cary Kemble went and took that into consideration about him keeping his job....so which players did they ask??

da mad maori

Juniors
Het Oz, get ya sh*t together mate.
Theres enough here to sign a petition and hoof it off to those clowns at the NZRL. And then send a copy to the Herald and a copy to Radio Sport.
We cant sit here a discuss this via a keyboard that goes nowhere.

Let what we're thinking be heard !!!!

Further more to that I am in Roys corner

Micistm

Bench
da mad maori said:
Het Oz, get ya sh*t together mate.
Theres enough here to sign a petition and hoof it off to those clowns at the NZRL. And then send a copy to the Herald and a copy to Radio Sport.
We cant sit here a discuss this via a keyboard that goes nowhere.

Let what we're thinking be heard !!!!

Further more to that I am in Roys corner

That may well be an interesting angle to take; apart from listening to Radio Sport, do the powers that be at NZRL actually know how fans feel? Do they care? It would be interesting to know.
Along with many Leagueys, I've been frustrated with the NZRL and the samey matey amateur rubbish going on, year after year. Depending on what the petition is about/for, I'd be for signing a well worded one. Along what lines would it be? I'm not certain they would go along with getting rid of all of them!:lol:

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Menace said:

Well, imo, if Kemble goes for that reason, then the players, who put their personal feelings ahead of representing their country to a decent standard, should go as well.

Kemble is the only bloke who is copping it from that tour, and that is bullsh*t. Kembles coaching should have nothing to do with letting in a softcock try, with a front rower running through feeble defence, to score a try in the 1st minute of the game.

For Roy to come out and basically absolve the players of any blame from that tour is an absolute cop out. The majority of the blokes were playing their 1st matches for the kiwis, wanting to perform in that jersey should be enough motivation, and keep them out of the politics. The senior players in that squad should have had as much influence on them as the coaching staff, and it is obvious what influence the senior players had on them

ozbash

Referee
who put their personal feelings ahead of representing their country

perhaps repping the country is foremost in their intentions beaver. How could/would personal feelings over such a short period of time build up to this point ?

Kemble is the only bloke who is copping it from that tour
he's the only accountable one left, apart from lowey who is cunning enough to dodge most bullets fired his way. Chalmers has FO, members of the board have FO.. only leaves kemble to face the music.

For Roy to come out and basically absolve the players of any blame from that tour is an absolute cop out.

its called getting in first. The NZRL has little, if any credibility. (ask tony veitch after tvnz's rugby league story tonight). The players do have credibility, especially the captain. Perhaps thats the reason lowey was going for roys throat tonight,, they would hardly admit the coach had no support from the players, would they ? For lowe, attack has always been the best form of defence.

The senior players in that squad should have had as much influence on them as the coaching staff, and it is obvious what influence the senior players had on them

from the media i have read and heard, the senior players were all that held that tour together. the coaching staff and management were either incapable or had other agendas.

do it mate, i'll sign it.

Latest posts