What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aussie and Kiwi stars heading for Super League: NRL in crisis?

Perth Red

Post Whore
They might be good but what's in the NRL is better. If we had more teams they might still be here.

This, people say there isn't the talent for two new clubs yet we are seeing plenty of talent not having the opportunity to make it in the NRL, or sustain a career in the NRL, due to a finite amount of first grade squad places available. Plenty of players head to SL and then find themselves back in NRL 1st grade post their SL time. Kelly looks like he has finally turned a corner and is having a great year for hull, how long till NRL clubs come sniffing? Ken Sio was in a SL relegated side last year but stepped straight back into 1st grade.
Plenty of talent in SL, Union and 2nd tier to make two competitive squads for expansion.

This thread is obviously tongue in cheek. Most of the players listed were never good enough for NRL and the few that were are now in their nadir years.
This, people say there isn't the talent for two new clubs yet we are seeing plenty of talent not having the opportunity to make it in the NRL, or sustain a career in the NRL, due to a finite amount of first grade squad places available. Plenty of players head to SL and then find themselves back in NRL 1st grade post their SL time. Kelly looks like he has finally turned a corner and is having a great year for hull, how long till NRL clubs come sniffing? Ken Sio was in a SL relegated side last year but stepped straight back into 1st grade.
Plenty of talent in SL, Union and 2nd tier to make two competitive squads for expansion.

More than two teams could be added.

Perth and Brisbane 2 could use all the current Aussie and Kiwi stars of Super League plus a couple of SL Poms each..

PNG Hunters would not require any current NRL players (and wouldn't get them because of the hardship of living in PNG).

Wellington Orcas could utilise New Zealand talent from the junior ranks and NZ rugby union combined with a hand full (maybe 5) current NRL players.

We need to go to 20 teams ASAP to outflank rugby union.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Plenty of club self interest though, how many Kiwis running around in non NZ clubs? How many Qlanders in Storm team, even WA is producing players for existing clubs. Clubs go on about jnr development of their own but are concerned that a 2nd Brisbane, NZ or Perth team would impact their playing rosters.

POPEYE

Coach
Plenty of club self interest though, how many Kiwis running around in non NZ clubs? How many Qlanders in Storm team, even WA is producing players for existing clubs. Clubs go on about jnr development of their own but are concerned that a 2nd Brisbane, NZ or Perth team would impact their playing rosters.
If you've got time to spare make a list, beside each club note how many current 1st Grade players were born in the district represented by that club . . . beside that you could note how many local players each club failed to recognize and have gone elsewhere

'Junior' is a figment of wanker imagination, youngsters only 'belong' when they play NRL, that's why they jump at the chance and go anywhere . . . what really matters is the ability to recognize talent, take a risk and have the educators to make the best of it

OldPanther

Coach
If you've got time to spare make a list, beside each club note how many current 1st Grade players were born in the district represented by that club . . . beside that you could note how many local players each club failed to recognize and have gone elsewhere

'Junior' is a figment of wanker imagination, youngsters only 'belong' when they play NRL, that's why they jump at the chance and go anywhere . . . what really matters is the ability to recognize talent, take a risk and have the educators to make the best of it

Panthers have a few and will have more in future lol. It's definitely not imaginary.

POPEYE

Coach
Panthers have a few and will have more in future lol. It's definitely not imaginary.
I'm not sure you fully grasp what you read. I refer to the word 'Junior' in the context of ownership as imaginary, not juniors themselves. Penrith have a wealth of juniors, I don't doubt as high rise takes over the joint it'll have many more. The problem is do the Panthers have what's needed to pick, train and keep the best of them

OldPanther

Coach
I'm not sure you fully grasp what you read. I refer to the word 'Junior' in the context of ownership as imaginary, not juniors themselves. Penrith have a wealth of juniors, I don't doubt as high rise takes over the joint it'll have many more. The problem is do the Panthers have what's needed to pick, train and keep the best of them

We clearly do. It's the entire point of Gus's famous 5 year plan. We have a halves development program as well as the new academy. On top of this our Juniour development has been sorted and we are expanding into country NSW. Financially we are doing very well now as well so as to finance it all.

MKCS

Juniors
The English Super League will never be on the level of the NRL but it's still a high quality professional competition and that's good for the game.

I would like to see an English Super League dream team come over maybe three times a year. ESL Vs NRL in February (Indigenous team to face a NZ Maori dream team or Pacific Islands dream team), ESL Vs a team made up of Asia's best stars during rep round (Maybe take the game into Asia and use that to grow the game) and come finals time the PM XIII team could take on the English Super League dream team made up of the best players who didn't make the finals.

Just for fun, imagine the hypothetical squads for an English Super League Vs NRL All Stars game where every player makes themselves available (NRL using the at least one player per team rule):

English Super League Team:

1. Ben Barba 2. Jermaine Mcgillvary 3. Ryan Atkins 4. Kallum Watkins 5. Ryan Hall 6. Todd Carney 7. Albert Kelly 8. Sam Moa 9. Ryan Hinchcliffe 10. Chris Hill 11. Greg Bird 12. Glenn Stewart 13. Sean O'Loughlin (C) 14. David Fifita 15. Ashton Sims 16. Mike Cooper 17. Sam Tomkins

Vs

NRL All Stars:

1. Josh Dugan 2. Josh Mansour 3. Michael Jennings 4. Jarryd Hayne 5. Nathan Ross 6. James Maloney 7. Cooper Cronk 8. Aaron Woods 9. Cameron Smith (C) 10. Dylan Napa 11. Josh Jackson 12. Matt Gillett 13. Jason Taumalolo 14. Shannon Boyd 15. Jacob Lillyman 16. Martin Taupau 17. Damien Cook

---

Obviously the All Stars would probably knock them by 12+ but there is some class in that Super League team.

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
We clearly do. It's the entire point of Gus's famous 5 year plan. We have a halves development program as well as the new academy. On top of this our Juniour development has been sorted and we are expanding into country NSW. Financially we are doing very well now as well so as to finance it all.
You're still missing the point, agreed the Panthers are doing as good if not better giving young local players the opportunity to show their talent, especially agreed the Panthers are doing more towards my favourite desire . . . helping RL in Central NSW

All I want for the Panthers, and all other clubs, is to extract the best it can from the talent it finds rather than taking the easier poaching way out with readymade 1st graders that other clubs wanted to keep. For that to happen the Panthers' coaching/training/scouting/injury management staff need to be as good as the best there is . . . and we all know where they are

Take Tamou for instance, was he a necessary buy, was any Penrith scout scouring NZ for other unknown forwards like NAS, could the money spent on the poaching have been used more wisely looking for forwards closer to home

OldPanther

Coach
You're still missing the point, agreed the Panthers are doing as good if not better giving young local players the opportunity to show their talent, especially agreed the Panthers are doing more towards my favourite desire . . . helping RL in Central NSW

All I want for the Panthers, and all other clubs, is to extract the best it can from the talent it finds rather than taking the easier poaching way out with readymade 1st graders that other clubs wanted to keep. For that to happen the Panthers' coaching/training/scouting/injury management staff need to be as good as the best there is . . . and we all know where they are

Take Tamou for instance, was he a necessary buy, was any Penrith scout scouring NZ for other unknown forwards like NAS, could the money spent on the poaching have been used more wisely looking for forwards closer to home

I'm not missing the point. I though it would be an obvious conclusion that after all that $$$ and time keeping those juniors would be the priority. Tamou is there as a rep and premiership winning forward for his experience while we are in this transition phase. They also gave the captaincy to a local junior over more experienced players because it's the point they are striving for. It's taking time but penrith is slowly becoming self sufficient in all areas and the biggest emphasis is on nurturing talent and having it be the core of our squad.

I've heard that other clubs like Raiders are moving away from this sort of thing which sucks.

POPEYE

Coach
I'm not missing the point. I though it would be an obvious conclusion that after all that $$$ and time keeping those juniors would be the priority. Tamou is there as a rep and premiership winning forward for his experience while we are in this transition phase. They also gave the captaincy to a local junior over more experienced players because it's the point they are striving for. It's taking time but penrith is slowly becoming self sufficient in all areas and the biggest emphasis is on nurturing talent and having it be the core of our squad.

Glad to hear it, so one day Penrith won't need to poach because it will seek out talent for itself and train it to make the Panthers an established yardstick, maybe even give discarded 1st graders from other clubs another chance. Hopefully by that time the NRL will have established concessions to help your mob keep what it creates

OldPanther

Coach

Yep that's the hope. Gus has even said he wants the salary cap concessions changed in regards to long service players as well. I assume because it will benifit our new way of doing things.

POPEYE

Coach
Yep that's the hope. Gus has even said he wants the salary cap concessions changed in regards to long service players as well. I assume because it will benifit our new way of doing things.
At least Melbourne might have helped bring about something most people have wanted since their debacle

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors
I heard a rumour that women will be incorporated into the ESL. A 'Mixed' league going forward if you will

Well done to the UK for doing this.