What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia in India 2008 discussion thread

TheParraboy

Staff member
http://http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/indvaus2008/content/story/368580.html

Michael Hussey has not given up hope of Andrew Symonds joining Australia's tour of India, although he concedes the team is still "up in the air" just two weeks before the squad departs. Australia consider a Test trip to India the toughest challenge in world cricket and several senior players have had less-than-ideal preparation for the four-Test tour.

While Hussey was grinding out half-centuries against Bangladesh in Darwin, where he was the Player of the Series, Symonds was pondering his future and Brett Lee was in Sydney dealing with the break-up of his marriage. Ricky Ponting was also absent as he continued his recovery from wrist surgery and Matthew Hayden was nursing an ongoing Achilles tendon problem.

"We're pretty much up in the air at the moment," Hussey said. "We're certainly not settled on anything. Luckily for us, the experienced players that can come back in to the team, such as Ponting, Hayden, Symonds, Lee, they know their games very well.

"They've got a lot of experience, they've played well in India before, whether it be one-day cricket or Test cricket and so I don't think it'll take them too long. We're going to have two practice games plus I'm sure they'll be able to get copious amounts of nets and I'm sure they'll be fine and ready to go."

Hussey was not part of the team that triumphed in India in 2004-05 and he is looking forward to his first experience of what the Australians describe as their "Everest". The core group has changed significantly since then and while Hussey believes Australia are still favourites to retain the Border-Gavaskar Trophy, it will be a gruelling contest.

"It's probably the toughest challenge," Hussey said. "I've never played a Test in India but I think the Australian team that won in '04, they said that was probably the Everest and I don't think that's changing. India are arguably up there with the top two or three teams in the world and I think it's going to be a wonderful series. Probably the hardest place to win in international cricket."

The difficult nature of the trip means the players must remain focused at all times. Hussey said that meant it was particularly important that Symonds be properly mentally prepared if he was to put his hand up for selection.

"I just hope from Andrew's point of view he can get his head right," Hussey said. "India is a place that you do have to be 100% committed to the game of cricket and also the team.

"He's a very important member of our side and I think he'd be very effective in a place like India. I haven't spoken to him, I haven't heard anything, but I'm hoping he's going to be part of that trip."

Should Symonds fail to make the cut it will leave Australia with an extra batting position available in the squad, with Simon Katich almost certain to move into the starting top six. Hussey's brother David could well be in line for that back-up position after earning a Cricket Australia contract this year and playing all three ODIs against Bangladesh.

"He's got to come into it for sure," Hussey said. "He's playing well for Victoria for the last few years. He's a very good player of spin. But I don't know, there's some other quality players as well."

The Australians depart for India on September 21 and until then the players will be at home, each individual working on their own game ahead of the trip. Despite picking up two half-centuries against Bangladesh, Hussey believes his own form is still scratchy and he will be spending time in the nets over the next fortnight.

"I'm tinkering with a couple of little things which I still don't think are perfect by any stretch of the imagination," he said. "I've still got a fair bit of work to do to get that right before I get to India and it's probably going to be an ongoing process."

Brydon Coverdale is a staff writer at Cricinfo

We seem to be taking the Indian series a bit casually, no camps or formal training sessions prior departing on the 21st Sept. Maybe its anticipation of a long 18 months ahead?

8Ball

First Grade
I have a feeling we'll lose 2-1. Would love to be proven wrong though.

And can we have one thread in cricket without a splooge over Watson.

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
I have a feeling we'll lose 2-1. Would love to be proven wrong though.

And can we have one thread in cricket without a splooge over Watson.

theres a couple threads sunshine free
eg SL vs India one day game for starters :lol:

But agree, lets all tone down Sunshine comments, unless its warranted

TheParraboy

Staff member
Why doest the f..k Gavaskar shut the f**k up !!!!

I didnt realise Symonds has officially pulled out of the Indian tour

Oh well, I guess Katich comes in, no dramas

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24308281-23212,00.html

Don't blame Harby, says Gavaskar
By Jon Pierek
September 08, 2008 INDIA great Sunil Gavaskar has opened old wounds by declaring Andrew Symonds has no right to blame Harbhajan Singh for being booted out of the Australia team.

Symonds's mental meltdown in Darwin, which prompted him to go fishing rather than attend a team meeting and later give team management a verbal spray, has privately been blamed on a culmination of issues he has dealt with this year.

There was none bigger than the racial row with Harbhajan last summer when the India spinner was accused of labelling Symonds a "monkey" during the Sydney Test.

The racial abuse charge was later downgraded to verbal abuse, mystifying Symonds and his teammates who blamed Cricket Australia for kowtowing to pressure from the Board of Control for Cricket in India.

Gavaskar has always been willing to raise the ire of Australia's cricketers, and has done so again by claiming Symonds was lucky to escape without punishment from the Harbhajan incident after a hearing with Justice John Hansen.

"Some in the Australian media are making the excuse Symonds is nursing a grievance against Cricket Australia for downgrading the charge against Harbhajan to verbal abuse and not racial slur as a reason for (his problems)," Gavaskar said.

"They are blaming Cricket Australia for bowing to pressure from the Indian board when the facts are very simple. Once the video and audio recording had been stripped of other voices and sounds, it showed nothing racial. Cricket Australia knew that the charge could not stand before a qualified judge.

"The next step was to salvage something, to get Harbhajan to agree to a lower charge of verbal abuse which he did despite the fact that it was Symonds who started it all with his language.

"It was the Indian who got punished and Symonds got away with a rap on the knuckles from Judge Hansen."

Symonds's latest indiscretion means he won't take part in next month's Test series in India.

The troubled all-rounder is still weighing up his future, with friends close to him believing he may quit.

If he wants to play on, he must undergo a rehabilitation course prescribed by CA before resuming.

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24307621-23212,00.html

I also reckon Simon should get the nod,
had a great test series in the WI, batting wise not in the field :D

Hussey backs Katich over brother
By Adam Cooper
September 07, 2008 MIKE Hussey has put family second by backing Simon Katich to retain his spot in Australia's Test team.

With Andrew Symonds unlikely to tour India this month as he weighs up his future, the decision of who bats in the middle order is one the Australian selectors will confront this week, before they announce the squad.

Symonds' absence could open a spot for David Hussey as an attacking batsman at No.5 or No.6 and part-time spinner.

Mike Hussey was hopeful Symonds would return, but if not, he believed Katich should get the nod.

He did, however, say his younger brother deserved consideration.

"Simon Katich played so well in the West Indies ... he'd probably be the No.1 pick at this stage of the guys who weren't in if Matthew Hayden came back in," Mike Hussey said.

Katich opened in the Caribbean with success in Hayden's absence through an Achilles problem, but would drop down the order if both men played in the first Test, in Bangalore starting October 9.

The progress of Hayden and captain Ricky Ponting, after wrist surgery in the winter, will be monitored this week.

Another area needing addressing is the choice of spinners, as candidates Beau Casson (adductor) and Bryce McGain (shoulder) were injured in a tour game in India last week, playing for Australia A.

Both are hopeful of playing in a three-day game against India A, in Hyderabad starting this week.

Hussey admitted Australia were far from settled on selection issues, but said the players who missed the one-day series against Bangladesh in Darwin could benefit from having time off to freshen their minds.

"It might work as an advantage," he said.

"Speaking for myself, coming into this (one-day) series, I had a good month off and then two weeks of hard work and then I'm feeling fresh ... that freshness is going to be important going to India as well."

In between thrashing Bangladesh in the Top End, Australia's players loaded up on strength and conditioning work and used the Darwin humidity to simulate conditions in India.

Hussey's own preparation was excellent, as he scored 85, eight not out and an unbeaten 57 on slow wickets, and was named man of the series.

He insisted batting positively, and picking off singles, was the key to avoid being bogged down by India's spinners on the subcontinent.

"If they're just bowling ball after ball at you and you're looking to survive, they're going to get you out, there's no question," he said.

"So you need to be able to tick it over, need to be able to score and put the pressure back on them a little bit."

Hussey is yet to play a Test in India, and said winning a series there was the toughest challenge in the world game.

"The team that won in '04, they said that was probably their Everest," he said.

"I don't think that's changing.

"India are up there in the top two or three teams in the world and I think it's going to be a wonderful series.

"It's probably the hardest place to win in international cricket."

Australia depart on September 21 and play two warm-up matches before the first Test.

Last edited:

Latest posts