What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia v Tonga in Hawaii

Robert B

Juniors
Mal Meninga backs secret talks for a historic Australia versus Tonga Test Match in Hawaii next season

Matt Logue Exclusive, The Daily Telegraph
December 28, 2017

CAMERON Smith and the Australian Kangaroos playing in a historic Test match against Jason Taumalolo’s Tongans in the Paradise of the Pacific.

Sounds like a pipedream, but you better get your surfboard ready because The Daily Telegraph can reveal Kangaroos are in secret negotiations with Tonga to play a rugby league Test in Hawaii next year.

Australian officials, including coach Mal Meninga, are behind the plan to stage the groundbreaking event at Honolulu’s 50,000-seat Aloha Stadium.

In a bid to capitalise on the popularity of new rugby league power Tonga following the Mate Ma’a’s efforts to reach the World Cup semi-finals, officials are looking to play the match in October 2018 in the weeks following the NRL grand final.

7cbd2580edf9d03e007cee2678526433

Talks about an Australia versus Tonga Test in Hawaii have been positive, but Meninga says the game requires funding from the NRL and the International Federation to become a reality.

“At the moment we’ve got no money in the bank, but we are talking and ideally we’d like to play a Test match against Tonga at the end of next year,” Meninga said.

“We’ve got a Test against New Zealand already, but I’d like to think we can do something special with Tonga as well.

“We want to make it exciting for the players and have something to inspire people to want to play international footy.

b352dc80165174cc9f3f8f6393ef6aa7

“On the back of the World Cup, I believe we’ve got to play more games.

“We’ve got to be mindful of player welfare and that’s why anything we do has to be a genuine Test match.”

Meninga also wants to play in Hawaii to capitalise on the fact the 2025 Rugby League World Cup will be played in the United States and Canada.

He believes league has an opportunity to stake a claim in the Aloha State with the nation’s traditional American football Pro Bowl being played in Florida for the second consecutive season late next month.

8d4a21d04fe0388ac538447dc725b149

“We’ve got to expose our game to the people over there,” he said.

“That’s why I think we’ve got to think big and how we can showcase our game to other markets and America is certainly one of those.

“I think they love our collision sports and it’s a huge market, so the best way to tap into it is to showcase genuine international Test matches.

With Tonga at this stage only looking at one Test next year — against either New Zealand or Samoa during the season — a clash with Smith and the Kangaroos in Oahu could also help the Pacific island nation retain players like Taumalolo, Andrew Fifita, Michael Jennings, Manu Ma’u, Sio Siua Taukeiaho and David Fusitu’a.

Tonga coach Kristian Woolf has previously said it would be up to Taumalolo to decide if he wanted to return to New Zealand, while he conceded his side’s one Test in 2018 could count against the Mate Ma’a retaining the dual Dally M winner long-term.

Significantly reduced player wages compared to the top-tier nations could also hurt the Tongan’s bid to keep its big name players, but Meninga says money isn’t the issue.

He revealed his Kangaroos players were ready to take cuts to ensure greater parity for international player wages.

“I think it’s all about the opportunity to play Test match footy for your country,” he said.

“There is some inequality around the funding, but I know our Kangaroos players are all willing to negotiate that to be fair on player payments.

“Because it’s about the Test jersey and it’s not about how much money you make.”

Burns

First Grade
Can guarantee there has been zero consultantation with Jason Moore or anyone with the RLWC 2025.

Complete planning on the run and kinda laughable. We will veto a match that will be underwritten and profitable for England and New Zealand but whoa watch out, Big Mal says let’s do a one off in Hawaii and hope the NRL pay for it.

langpark

First Grade
Can we please stop these: Let's play in a random location, only to leave the next day and for Rugby League never to be spoken of in that place ever again- type matches?

If there is an existing follow-up plan to establish some rugby league teams after the match, then I can see some merit in these ideas. If not, then seriously WHAT is the point? Denver? Hawaii? Come on. If places like Toronto, Jacksonville or NYC were getting mentioned, then I could see some merit in it. But please, don't go to places with no RL activity and no prospect of starting any time soon!

roughyedspud

Coach
Ooohhhh f**k off lol..

Thought West's where playing in Hawaii?

It's the usual off season bullshit!

It's already been agreed with the RLPA that they are only playing 1 test post season next year...v nz..!

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Can we please stop these: Let's play in a random location, only to leave the next day and for Rugby League never to be spoken of in that place ever again- type matches?

If there is an existing follow-up plan to establish some rugby league teams after the match, then I can see some merit in these ideas. If not, then seriously WHAT is the point? Denver? Hawaii? Come on. If places like Toronto, Jacksonville or NYC were getting mentioned, then I could see some merit in it. But please, don't go to places with no RL activity and no prospect of starting any time soon!

Yeah but we can make a profit

deluded pom?

Coach
Love some of those comments. Australia are skint then? We need to give players something to aspire to in international football unless your not Australian. Silly season has begun.

IntRLEnthusiast

Juniors
Would love to see this happen because Aus should play more then 1 test, Tonga should play teams like Aus outside of world cups and also this might just mean Tonga can keep their team together which they need to do for the good of International Rugby League. For Tonga's sake i would like to see them get at least another game post season maybe on the weekend Aus play NZ. Hopefully, but i won't be holding my breath, this speculation will become real locked in fixtures by early January and that list will continue to grow as the pre season goes on. I would love Tonga to play a team like PNG home and away before going anywhere really to play a game against Aus.

clarency

Juniors
Remember when the Telegraph was reporting that the NRLUS was going to start up back in 2010... Oh the memories.

How many of these need to be reported before we accept that there is 0% legitimacy to it.
When there's an official announcement.. then there's something to talk about.

langpark

First Grade
Not surprised so many people are getting a boner over this, Aussies love a gimmick.

Should stick to things with substance and long-term vision.

siv

First Grade
Is the pitch wide enough ?

Hawaii should be invited into the Pacific Shield

jim_57

Staff member
Not surprised so many people are getting a boner over this, Aussies love a gimmick.

Should stick to things with substance and long-term vision.

Of course there are better alternatives ways to build the game in the US but this game is better than nothing. Not sure there are any reasons to be negative besides wanting more, it's a start.

adamkungl

Immortal
Fairly typical of this forum to shoot down something because it isn't done exactly the way you want it. Of course everyone has their own idea of what SHOULD happen so 90% of us are miserable about everything ever.

We all want Australia to play more games.
We all want Tonga to play more games.
We all want RL to be played in the USA.
Actual response? "RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE THIS IS SHIT"

fmd there's no hope for this sport

adamkungl

Immortal
For what it's worth I'm hoping Mal, Cam and the RLPA pull their heads out their arses and have Australia play 4 games in their 'off' year and 8 every other year.

The year after the WC could easily be
1 vs top Pacific nation.
1 vs England
2 vs NZ home and away

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
How about supporting the only North American market with a rugby league club. How about England v New Zealand be allowed to go ahead in Toronto mid-season, backed by Australia v Tonga in Toronto to both help the Wolfpack with momentum and to capitalise on the work they have already done.

October post-season is a bit different to mid-season.
Not that I agree with the NRL clubs' stance but don't pretend they're really similar situations.
Some of the clubs will use players injuries/welfare as an excuse to hold players back.
We are never going to progress as much as we should all the while the NRL call the shots.
Soccer is the world game it is because soccer clubs think its an honour for their players to play for their country.
NRL clubs look at International Rugby League as a burden

Latest posts