What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia vs England

dubopov

Lets say Australia make the world cup final, what would your team be? We will assume their are no injuries

Here is mine

A.Gilchrist
M.Hayden
R.Ponting
S.Waugh
M.Clarke
M.Bevan
S.Watson
S.Warne
B.Lee
J.Gillespie
G.McGrath

They batted slow so that England would get the bonus point, thus putting Sri Lanka out of the equation. Joe, its possible that they doctored the result to the extent of giving the poms the bonus point, whilst still winning the match (which they did)

To be honest, Bevan was a bit shabby last night. I know, the pitch was a shocker, but in the fair dinkum department, it wasn't like they were playing off a Bombay sidestreet, a top class batsman should still be able to handle it. He miss-timed a helluva lot last night from what i saw

But the sayings shall live on, Bevooooooo, and the Bevmeister! Im starting to wonder, why is it that a lot of the greats of Oz cricket end up getting booted out of the side these days instead of going out gracefully. I mean, we have had S.Waugh, M.Waugh, Healy and Tubby (names that spring to mind in recent times) who were more or less booted out of the Oz one day team. It is sad to see, i hope that a champion like Bevvo doesn't suffer the same fate

Cheers,
Moffo

D

dubopov

Sorry Mr Angry..I'll clarify my remark..Bevan tries to remain Not Out and does not take the risks needed to win the games at the appropriate times..Increasing run rates means increasing the possibility of being dismissed..Bevan does NOT take risks for the TEAM's benefit...We nearly lost yesterday because of the 60 balls he faced without scoring..The pressure on Clarke and Watson would have been minimal if Bevan and Martyn had asserted themselves as the senior batsmen should..

It will be a Sri Lanka/England GF ;)But anyways, my side.

1.Matt Hayden
2.Mark Waugh
3.Ricky Ponting
4.Michael Clarke
5.Steve Waugh
6.Michael Bevan
7.Adam Gilchrist
8.Shane Warne
9.Brett Lee
10.Jason Gillespie
11.Glenn McGrath

f**k off all the all-rounders, lets face facts, we don't have one!

Cheers,
Moffo

imported_midas

Juniors
Martyn is the leading Oz run scorer for the seies,just in front of Hayden with Bevo third.We would have to be going real well to drop two of our top 3 rungetters.
The bonus point meant bugger all to Australia but even so they had a half-arsed dash at it.After Bevo and Martyn had got the innings back on track,Lee was promoted as a pinch-hitter-didn,t work.
The point is that even though Bevo was out of touch he still helped save the ship.He knew the time had come to speed it up which is why he got out sweeping against the tide-hardly the act of someone trying to protect his average.5 days earlier he was man-of-the match.
Why you want to get rid of Bevo but retain a guy who is so badly out of touch,he doesn,t even know where his crease is any more,is totally beyond me.

D

dubopov

Mr Angry..My side for the World Cup(chosen from the 15 man squad who are actually going..eg.No Clarke or Waugh )..
Hayden
Maher(would have Langer if the selectors picked him !!)
Ponting
Martyn(would have Mark Waugh if selectors picked him !!)
Lehmann
Gilchrist
Symonds or Watson
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
McGrath
Bichel or Symonds(12th Man)

Pfft, out of those, id be pissing off Hogg, Symonds and Watson to the sin bin straight away. Replace them with the Waughs and Boonie

Maybe Aussies should go retro in order to give the other nations a chance. I might put a call through to the ACB and let them know of this thought actually, i wonder what they would think of the following:

1.Geoff Marsh
2.David Boon
3.Dirk Whellam
4.Kelper Wessels
5.Brad McNamara
6.Simon O'Donnell
7.Tim Zoherer
8.Peter Taylor (c)
9.Jo Angel
10.Tony Dodemaide
11.Wayne Holdsworth

Cheers,
Moffo

El Duque

Bench
My side

Hayden
Gilchrist
Ponting
Martyn
Lehmann
Bevan
Watson
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
Mcgrath

12 man is irrelevant.

El Duque

Bench
Why you want to get rid of Bevo but retain a guy who is so badly out of touch,he doesn,t even know where his crease is any more,is totally beyond me

Put your head down with your arms behind your back and run full piss into a brick wall. Then you will see the logic of such selections.

"What so this way you could get back to old habits of betting on and cheering for opposing nations? ;)"

Who does that? lol

Moffo

Willow

Assistant Moderator
"They batted slow so that England would get the bonus point, thus putting Sri Lanka out of the equation. "
How did you come to that conclusion?
Moffo, I assume you are aware of the batting figures. England only managed 150 scored at a slow pace as well...
It wasn't ideal batting conditions and this is reflected in the score card.

I will admit to not watching every over of the game, but wern't England bowled out? When i was watching, they were 1/35 off 8 or something, wern't they?

Icame home later and saw bevo hit 30 off 90, and at that point, i assumed, yep, go slow tactics are in force. Honestly, 30 off 90 is batting slowly, in any mans language. Even in a test that would be snails pace. It didn't make a licking difference to Australia whether they lost or won last night, they are already well in the finals

Moffo

imported_midas

Juniors
Moffo
A few scratchings from your retro side.Dirk Wellham has been barred by the gatekeepers Union.Coupla Whistles has been claimed by the Proteas (I mean,he never really left).O,Donnell can only play between race meetings.Peter Taylor,s farm is drought-stricken and he can only go if you can go up and hand-feed his stock.
Brad McNamara can,t go as he chucks his bouncer and we all know chucking is illegal.Tim Zoehrer and Cracker Holdsworthcan,t be located as noone remembers them.
.Better pick a few more

El Duque

Bench
If you saw the way the pitch was playing you'd understand why 30 off 90.

You're not giving the pommy bowlers much credit. Bevo and Martyn seemed like they were trying to see off the strike bowlers.

Latest posts