What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ball Tampering

shiznit

Coach
Is the UFC equivalent to ball tampering to put like sharp objects on your gloves
There is actually a UFC equivalent...

It’s called greasing... it’s when one fighter puts vasoline on their own body to make it more difficult for a grappler to get a hold of them and perform submissions.

They’ve pretty much eradicated it now...

What you described is just straight up assault... :joy::joy:

WaznTheGreat

Referee

It’s called greasing... it’s when one fighter puts vasoline on their own body to make it more difficult for a grappler to get a hold of them and perform submissions.

LMAO i think GSP got busted for the vasoline trick

Haffa

They’ve pretty much eradicated it now..
Except when Yoel drowns himself in water.

TheParraboy

Staff member

Interesting about the vasoline

Mathew Johns admitted when he was playing at home (for the Newcastle knights) he would instruct their ball boys to put vasoline on the ball when the opposition got the ball from a penalty so as it would be easier to dislodge in a tackle and harder to catch.

Mr Spock!

Referee
People calling for him to be banned for life are kidding themselves, that will never happen.
I don't get why the pitchforks are out for Smudge, when Faf has been done for ball tampering twice and Is still able in the Saffa Test team.

Apparently we have higher standards.

We crucify our players and f*** our team up while the rest of the world gets off scott free.

BLN2

Juniors
It's not a life ban offence IMO. Players have done it before, and will do it again. But doing it with a foreign object like bright yellow "tape" (sandpaper) wouldn't have been done for a while, it needs to be punished severely to put others off doing it. 1 Game is a joke from an ICC, these guys are muppets. Australia cricket will have a much harsher punishment, which is arse about face really. I'd say dropped as captains, stood down for a time, big contract price drop would be enough. What about the coach and leadership team? They were all a part of this, and should share blame.

BTW I think Damaging the ball is a lot worse than Du Plessis mint incident. Basically the same as sunscreen IMO.

T-Boon

Coach
The only reason I am disappointed at the players is that they have taken the Stefanovic scandal out of the number one current finger wag story.
But all Smith and Co need is for Salem Mehijer to step back into his usual human headline role for us to wag finger at and cast them into the background. You only get to stay on top for 48 hours.

T-Boon

Coach
People calling for him to be banned for life are kidding themselves, that will never happen.
I don't get why the pitchforks are out for Smudge, when Faf has been done for ball tampering twice and Is still able in the Saffa Test team.

Agreed you can't just pull a lengthy ban out of nowhere as a punishment when an infringement has to that point always been a slap on the wrist.
If they want to go that way then the ICC or cricket australia need to so from this day forward the punishment is such and such.

BLN2

Juniors
Refer second sentence. So in your opinion taking to a ball with sand paper is on par with shining a ball with a mint in the mouth?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
of course it is and players have been charged and convicted for doing so, but thats not what happened

its was yellow insulation tape that was rubbed on the ground to make the dirt stick to it so it could then be rubbed on the ball

Vozzy

Juniors
Is it possible that the Aussie's who made a dumb idea and then ran with it thought even if they got caught it would be a slap on the wrist and were not expecting what has been made of it. That's how it comes across. Like a small 4cm² thin bit of sandpaper has now caused the biggest scandal in the whole of cricket according to sum. I don't think this acctualy crossed their minds until they got caught.

I think life bans are too harsh but maybe a year out of the game is fair. To me yes it was cheating but other countries and past teams ball tamper in some way so I think it was just stupid to think they would get away with it but think it's been a tad over reaction.

I think match fixing and drug cheating is a worse crime. Like what Tim Samona did was worse. They are being compared to Lance Armstrong which is ridiculous.

Fangs

Coach
They'll miss much more than one game I'm sure.

I'm wondering if they'll rub them out of the Summer test season. Having them run out on Boxing Day would require a lot of PR work.

Juju

Juniors
How could you guys be supporters of a team that are such blatant hypocrites?
The whole Warner sledging situation is particularly embarrassing - not to mention Darren Lehmann's hypocritical hot takes on sledging (Broad in Australia VS Warner in SA).
They can dish out but can't receive.

The culture of that team is rotten - you only need to watch how they conduct themselves on the field to see that.

How could you guys be supporters of a team that are such blatant hypocrites?
The whole Warner sledging situation is particularly embarrassing - not to mention Darren Lehmann's hypocritical hot takes on sledging (Broad in Australia VS Warner in SA).
They can dish out but can't receive.

The culture of that team is rotten - you only need to watch how they conduct themselves on the field to see that.

We don’t necessarily support all the players, we support the baggy green. Players come and go, and there’s always been a few dickheads.

We’ve always sledged, nothing new in that at all. Only thing that’s different is the outrage of social media.

Latest posts