What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beginning of the End for the Salary Cap?

LineBall

Juniors
Would a salary cap free-for-all clean out the NRL's dead wood?

Show comments

One of the so-called "Doomsday Scenarios" regarding the salary cap for 2018 is that there will be none.

The NRL headlines this week have surrounded player transfers. Cooper Cronk quitting Melbourne apparently trended worldwide on Twitter – although he does have a name which makes mentions easy to track.

• Luke Brooks has re-signed with Wests Tigers. There are eight and a half Sydney clubs and the sixes and sevens at all of them are at ... sixes and sevens over their futures.

But long after all the personalities – even Cronk – fade into history, the next eight months could be remembered as a turning point for not just the player market but the entire competition. In case you're not across it, the NRL has proposed an $8.85 million salary cap for 2018 and some clubs have already budgeted – even committed – to up to $10 million.

The root of the problem is that the NRL promised all the clubs 130 per cent of the salary cap. So, as you'll be aware if you've been following this, it's in League Central's interests to keep the salary cap as low as possible.

If the solution next year is to allow all clubs to honour their commitments – a similar official blind eye that helped St George Illawarra and Melbourne accommodate orphaned players at the end of the '90s and led to them playing each other in the 1999 grand final – I am not convinced we'll ever get the salary cap back.

Many clubs have been searching for a gap in the fence, a hole at the back of the cap, and if they got through it once they would never be evicted.

Discord has always been a staunch defender of the salary cap, pointing out that we have suburbs playing, in one case, an entire country and that we need artificial barriers to have a meaningful competition in our small, divided market. I would never object to the salary cap on the same basis as colleague Peter FitzSimons; professional sport is not for the players, it's for the fans and the imperative to attract more viewers and more participants.

But looking around the attendances so far this season – yes, I know it's been raining – I'm starting to wonder if a free for all, survival of the fittest scenario might not bring the NRL kicking and screaming into the 21st century. Sure, you may be loyal to your club first but if you landed here from Mars – or New York – would you not be stunned about such an elite competition, with a $2 billion TV rights deal, being played among Sydney suburbs in front of empty seats?

Where are the market forces? That, after all, is what Ken Arthurson and John Quayle intended in 1995 when they brought in North Queensland, South Queensland, Perth and the Warriors – law of the jungle. Then, that very weekend, Super League came in and it became law of the boardroom.

All three attempted joint ventures since have involved ARL clubs. Aside from Perth, all of the clubs who sided with News Corporation in '95 have survived as stand-alone entities.

A situation in which Brisbane and Sydney Roosters, as an example, are allowed to flog their opponents for a few years might force the sport to make some of the tough decisions it needs to future-proof itself against the incursions of global sporting brands like Premier League and the NFL and the generational planning of the AFL.

Lopsided results and impending bankruptcy might be the only way we make those calls: expansion, relocation, further amalgamation and even closures. Otherwise, it's just one big cartel where no one wants to share the loot for the greater good of the business.

At the very least, it's intriguing to extrapolate what would happen if there was no salary cap next year, then what would happen the year after and the year after that.

Who would flourish? Who would flounder? What decisions would endangered clubs make to survive?

• Interesting to see how this plays out.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
Cool.

Let's just have the Roosters play the Broncos every Friday night until the heat death of the universe

OVP

Coach
What a load of bollocks. Mascord wrote that article just so he could fit the word "extrapolate" in there.

Spot On

Coach
Ah rugby league..... clusterf**k as always.

My opinion - league needs a cap BUT we need much better vision and leadership at the top to keep this sport viable, growing and competitive in years to come and I don't think we will ever get that under current management. The fools are so far behind the eight ball that they are only just making noise about addressing junior league and country footy issues - a decade too late.

Just on crowd numbers (and I know it's been wet) has the NRL and clubs truly tried to entice more spectators to the grounds that do not draw a decent crowd???

Last edited:
Need a cap and draft and transfer window.

Need behaving players to earn more corporate $$$.

Need clubs to start acting professionally.

Need the ARLC to run the game professionally.

Need the media to stop denigrating the game.

Reminds me of an Alice Cooper lyric:

I can't get a girl
'Cause I ain't got a car
I can't get a car
'Cause I ain't got a job
I can't get a job
'Cause I ain't got a car
So I'm looking for a girl with a job and a car
Don't you know where you are?

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Why does he bring the Roosters into it? The Bulldogs, Eels, Panthers, Warriors and even Sharks these days are far more active and have bigger budgets than the Roosters when it comes to playing rosters/coaching etc. Sure we might spend more than the Sharks off the field.. It is lazy journalism that keeps bringing up the Roosters as the big spenders.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Why does he bring the Roosters into it? The Bulldogs, Eels, Panthers, Warriors and even Sharks these days are far more active and have bigger budgets than the Roosters when it comes to playing rosters/coaching etc. Sure we might spend more than the Sharks off the field.. It is lazy journalism that keeps bringing up the Roosters as the big spenders.

Lol.

Shouldn't you be having a latte with Tedesco, Nick?

POPEYE

Coach
A cap is needed to prevent extravagance but more importantly concessions to that cap are needed to create more Cronks. Instead of clubs conniving to steal the best players they should be rewarded for creating them.

Instead of player managers ruling it the men that grow the game, the coaches, should be encouraged to keep looking for new talent to mould into keepers. I'll never tire of saying one club players make the game greater than transients

If every club was capable of creating Cronkites and protected by way of a head start in negotiations to keep them negative bludgers would go the way of the dinosaurs . . . then only the power of the puss would reign supreme

OVP

Coach
Lol.

Shouldn't you be having a latte with Tedesco, Nick?

Well it makes a pleasant change from the days when your rotten club stole 8 players plus the coach off us after we made the finals in 1981. What sort of shit merkin club does shit like that ? Who else, but Manly.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Well it makes a pleasant change from the days when your rotten club stole 8 players plus the coach off us after we made the finals in 1981. What sort of shit merkin club does shit like that ? Who else, but Manly.

81 hey?

Lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's an Intersting hypothetical but will never happen. I remember pre SL in uk and Wigan with no salary cap literally had half a dozen internationals in their reserve grade they had that many stars stacked up and won everything for a decade.

On the flip side it might attract serious money people to own clubs but doesn't seem very RL to have billionaires buying trophies.