What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji Marshall ?

possm

Coach
It's convenient to bash Benji.
He was instrumental in many of our scoring opportunities,got better with each game ,but when he makes an error,out come the knives.

It's not the players fault for the mess we are in; it's management's fault.

The on-field performance of some key players is also not necessarily their fault. For example:
Dugan would perform much better at fullback
Marshall would have performed much better if our right edge was more effective in defence and if he had an experienced centre playing outside him. Ah Mau's defence on the right and Merrins seemingly non-interest in covering any defence deficiency's on the right (no cover defending) were a big influence on Benji's performance.
Beale was more effective at left centre than at fullback.

So I would lay a lot of the blame on Mary. He put good players into team positions that proved to be a handbrake on some players performance. He also failed to devise a plan to plug up the right side defence and indeed the middle third defence. The obvious changes that needed to be made were:
Merrin to prop
De Belin to lock - Johnny Raper style
Mathews to the right edge - Thompson prefers and seems to be better on the left.
Maybe even, Widdop to the right and Benji on the left.- Widdop is a better defender than Marshall.
Matta Utai to right centre
Morris or Raciman to left centre.- Morris is our best winger but received limited opportunities out on the wing this season. He would make a very dangerous left centre and a very solid defender on the left edge.
Beale or Runciman at left wing.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
No
It was 1.1 million over 2.5 years... Apparently broken up the following way..
2014 100k
2015 500k
2016 500k

Hence part of our salary cap dramas for 2015, finding 500k that was unplanned and already spent on existing players

Sorry mate...not so.
SET2JT was correct and in my view is not over the top for a halfback with the standing of Marshall..
Not being funny but please don't believe all of the articles about salary cap conjecture. I've said this before and people continue to ignore it, remember that Marshall signed in May. That was when we knew exactly where we stood salary cap wise for 2015 and beyond. Thompson's money was already factored in one way or another. i.e He stays - good, he goes - we spend the money. Williams was released to allow Marshall into the top 25 NRL squad and O'Brien was also added. You may also note that we don't always fully spend our cap and have for many seasons been able to effect the odd mid-season player signing.

Mr Red

First Grade
Sorry mate...not so.
SET2JT was correct and in my view is not over the top for a halfback with the standing of Marshall..
Not being funny but please don't believe all of the articles about salary cap conjecture. I've said this before and people continue to ignore it, remember that Marshall signed in May. That was when we knew exactly where we stood salary cap wise for 2015 and beyond. Thompson's money was already factored in one way or another. i.e He stays - good, he goes - we spend the money. Williams was released to allow Marshall into the top 25 NRL squad and O'Brien was also added. You may also note that we don't always fully spend our cap and have for many seasons been able to effect the odd mid-season player signing.

Although no one here knows the exact contract for Marshall, I stand by my numbers of 1.1 million over 2.5 years broken down 100k, 500k, 500k.
Yes we did know where we stood salary cap wise for 2015 in 2014 however that was before Marshall was even in the picture .
There as no way we have a spare 500k in the cap for Marshall in 2015, hence the dramas. I think they banked on Thompson leaving freeing up a large portion of cash to fund a large amount of Marshall's salary but with Thompson staying they have hit a snag..

Last edited:

SET2JT

Juniors
All I know is, we get anywhere near the grand final and we lose half our team were as the Roosters Bulldogs and now the Bunnies get to keep their teams with the addition of a few players.

SET2JT

Juniors
Look at the Roosters spine and try put a market value on them and then do the same for us.

TheViking

Juniors
All I know is, we get anywhere near the grand final and we lose half our team were as the Roosters Bulldogs and now the Bunnies get to keep their teams with the addition of a few players.

To be fair.

Rabbitohs lost SBurgess, Te'o and got Grant and G Stewart.

Dogs lost Ennis, Inu, Brown and got Lichaa, Loko, Rona.

Neither of them would be costing more then they added. Both should have a fair chunk of change from both of them.

Before you jump up and down and say B Morris if he is confirmed as it sounds that comes back to Barba/Fifita.

If we then add someone else like Stewart or Beale like it is going around then I would understand your questions.

Roosters are a different case. For the moment. They have been linked to sign Ferguson. While he may not get the 800k he could of if he kept his head together he would still be on a few hundred thousand as any club would give him that.

I think the real test is coming for Roosters. They offloaded Kennedy and have lost SBW and Mini.

In the coming years it's blokes like RTS, Tupou, Jennings, Maloney, Pearce, JWH, Friend, Moa, Cordner, Guerra, Napa, FPN, Lui, Evans etc that will want a big pay upgrade. Some from good money to superstar money. Some from rookie, unknown money to regular and good first graders.

I am sure they have already upgraded and retained a few this year. I think from memory Friend, Moa, Evans at least re-signed this year. I think over the next two years they have Tupou, Jennings, Maloney, JWH, Cordner, Guerra, Napa, FPN, Lui etc off contract. This will be their test. Especially when Ferguson is not going to stay on peanuts for ever.

They could free some money up and let SKD go and play that Nene McDonald quiet easily too. Buy them some more time.

Last edited:

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Although no one here knows the exact contract for Marshall, I stand by my numbers of 1.1 million over 2.5 years broken down 100k, 500k, 500k.
Yes we did know where we stood salary cap wise for 2015 in 2014 however that was before Marshall was even in the picture .
There as no way we have a spare 500k in the cap for Marshall in 2015, hence the dramas. I think they banked on Thompson leaving freeing up a large portion of cash to fund a large amount of Marshall's salary but with Thompson staying they have hit a snag..

That's ok, you're entitled to your opinion but again, I refute it.
I'm only stating what has been told to me and it does not match your views. Sources are good and legit.
You would be surprised at some of the actual amounts paid...and where we are at with cap.
No probs.

SET2JT

Juniors
Viking what I am saying is these teams lost 4 players tops while we lost Boyd Gaz Hornby Young Saffy Smith Costigan Priddis. Im sure there is a few more.

SET2JT

Juniors
The NRL brought in the salary cap to make the comp even but just by looking at some of these teams on paper it doesn't seem to be working.

TheViking

Juniors
Viking what I am saying is these teams lost 4 players tops while we lost Boyd Gaz Hornby Young Saffy Smith Costigan Priddis. Im sure there is a few more.

Going back several years there mate. I mean going back that long is like cutting Idris, Ryan, Hannant, Turner, Keating, Roberts. Some good, some crap.

SET2JT

Juniors
Well obviously im going back to 2010-11 it was the last time we made the grand final. That was the original message I was trying to get across. Most teams lose alot of players like half there team when they get there but the Dogs Roosters and now the Bunnies dont.

TheViking

Juniors
Well obviously im going back to 2010-11 it was the last time we made the grand final. That was the original message I was trying to get across. Most teams lose alot of players like half there team when they get there but the Dogs Roosters and now the Bunnies dont.

You are talking about something 3-4 years ago. That is yet to happen to any of those teams except the Roosters.

In which they had lost Myles, Anasta, Carney, Leilua, Linnett, Perrett, Ryles, Paea, Kennedy and a bunch of other nuffies.

SET2JT

Juniors
The Dogs have been in a gf 2 years ago. Lost barba who wouldn't have been on much that year. The Roosters lost those players after the GF but got Maloney SBW Odonell Moa Jennings. Carney was given a lifeline by the Roosters so he wasn't on big Money in 2011.

SET2JT

Juniors
Do your research Viking no one has been decimated by Grand Final success like the Dragons. The Dogs rotered the Cap in 03 and still had the same team in 04 ;)

Mr Red

First Grade
To be fair.

Rabbitohs lost SBurgess, Te'o and got Grant and G Stewart.

Dogs lost Ennis, Inu, Brown and got Lichaa, Loko, Rona.

Neither of them would be costing more then they added. Both should have a fair chunk of change from both of them.

Before you jump up and down and say B Morris if he is confirmed as it sounds that comes back to Barba/Fifita.

If we then add someone else like Stewart or Beale like it is going around then I would understand your questions.

Roosters are a different case. For the moment. They have been linked to sign Ferguson. While he may not get the 800k he could of if he kept his head together he would still be on a few hundred thousand as any club would give him that.

I think the real test is coming for Roosters. They offloaded Kennedy and have lost SBW and Mini.

In the coming years it's blokes like RTS, Tupou, Jennings, Maloney, Pearce, JWH, Friend, Moa, Cordner, Guerra, Napa, FPN, Lui, Evans etc that will want a big pay upgrade. Some from good money to superstar money. Some from rookie, unknown money to regular and good first graders.

I am sure they have already upgraded and retained a few this year. I think from memory Friend, Moa, Evans at least re-signed this year. I think over the next two years they have Tupou, Jennings, Maloney, JWH, Cordner, Guerra, Napa, FPN, Lui etc off contract. This will be their test. Especially when Ferguson is not going to stay on peanuts for ever.

They could free some money up and let SKD go and play that Nene McDonald quiet easily too. Buy them some more time.

Yep.
Tupou for example is only on 80k, yep 80k a season... And he's now an origin winger so will expect an upgrade when his contract expires which I think is next season?

They were looking at letting SKD leave to get ferguson on board, however with SKD showing good form I wonder what their plan will be....