What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennet butthurt

Is wayne a sore loser?

• Yes

Votes: 43 78.2%
  • No

Votes: 12 21.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Compare he's answering of questions to Hodgo's. Wayne sounds terribly bitter and pissed. he just lost a heart breaking grand final so I get it but it looked terribly bitter.

Dont think him being opposed to GP in the past means he isn't bitter here either.

ellskimore

Juniors
I originally defended him on the basis that he has been against Golden Point since forever. As am I. However it isn't a good luck to immediately bring it up post-game (without any prompting from the journalists) and then to emphasise that his team didn't lose.
Great coach, but he didn't handle this properly in my opinion.

Charlie124

First Grade
Im glad the loss hurt him so much, his salty tears will sustain me for quite some time to come. That press conference was absolutely shameful and i hope he dwells on the loss more than the players do. For a guy whos had as much success as he has, and has faced such little disappointment in his coaching career up until now, he carried himself like a spoilt little brat.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Might be the case for the first field goal but I don't think the other team would follow suit unless they had to. Balmain for instance weren't trying to equalise with a field goal.

Going by most modern games when a team goes up by 1 in the last 10 minutes, most sides try for a field goal to even up instead of going for the win.

Quite often we have field goal-athons in regulation time

Last edited:

blacklock

Juniors
The irony is kicking it into touch doesn't really work in this day and age. It gives teams a chance to stop the clock and set up their attack. It would be better to kick it back absorb a tackle or tewo till the forwards get inside and keep the clock running. Getting a scrum also leaves more gaps in the field which can allow easy metres for the first few tackles.

blaza88z

Coach
Yep, didn't give the winning team any credit.
Very disappointing.

to be fair coaches rarely come out and credit the other team, you see the players do it alot but the coaches normally answer that question with "we need to be better" or "we didn't execute" (I heard the one recently actually, I think it was in week 1 of the finals)

kal83

Juniors
I dont think he was being a sore loser at all. He just answered the line of questioning directed at him and answered honestly. What he said is correct and golden point is a lottery - if the opposite happened and the cowboys dropped the kick off and the broncos won the game on the next set i think most people's position would have been against the game going to golden point. I think because it played out the way it did everyone is happy because the cowboys won and the broncos lost.

I disagree with him about there should be a replay because all drawn grand finals have been a blowout the next game - as great the game was i think 10 minutes of extra time would have been a better way to separate the two teams. JMO

Ice_Storm

Juniors
Wayne whinged and wined over Storms so called wrestle tactics, yet what did the Broncos do to the Cowboys? Slow their normally fast play the ball as much as possible.

Broncos have always had great goal line defence. Showed again during the GF. But isn't that contradictory Wayne? Doesn't that ruin the spectacle? If Storm hold out teams like that, they're ruining the game. Ok for Brisbane to do it isn't it.

Wayne Bennett wants nothing more then the NRL to model the game of Rugby League around HIS style of coaching to suite the Broncos and no one else. He is an evil manipulator and dangerous to the game. He reminds me of Senator Palpatine. Wayne is only one step away from becoming the 'Emperor'. If he does, there is nohope for the game......and the entire universe.

He needs to be stopped.

Last edited:

DiegoNT

First Grade
Consider that a whole season came down to a knock-on - you'd be butt-hurt too!

Could just as easily say the season come down to a couple of missed tackles on Thurston in the last 10 seconds of regular time

DiegoNT

First Grade
to be fair coaches rarely come out and credit the other team, you see the players do it alot but the coaches normally answer that question with "we need to be better" or "we didn't execute" (I heard the one recently actually, I think it was in week 1 of the finals)

'Credit where credits due, they were better then us tonight'
'They just wanted it more tonight'
'We just didn't turn up to play, and you just can't do that to team X'
'We just weren't good enough, and Team X made us pay'
'They were the better team'

Common Clichés you'll hear in almost every press conference from the losing coach

Shorty

Staff member

Calling the golden point win a 'lottery' was the height of disrespectful.
The weird thing is he seems to have completely ignored the fact JT could have converted and its game over.Or that the Broncos got the ball first set of golden point.
If you don't want golden point, don't let a team in to score simple as that.

Broncos will be missing finals next year if he has this sort of attitude.

I dont think he was being a sore loser at all. He just answered the line of questioning directed at him and answered honestly. What he said is correct and golden point is a lottery - if the opposite happened and the cowboys dropped the kick off and the broncos won the game on the next set i think most people's position would have been against the game going to golden point. I think because it played out the way it did everyone is happy because the cowboys won and the broncos lost.

I disagree with him about there should be a replay because all drawn grand finals have been a blowout the next game - as great the game was i think 10 minutes of extra time would have been a better way to separate the two teams. JMO

I suggest you go and read Andrew Webster's article on it in today's Sydney Morning Herald. He makes it very clear that Bennett broached the whole golden point thing before any journo had a chance to open their mouth. Whilst he has been steadfast against it, to bring it up the way he did, in the context he did, does leave him open to accusations of sour grapes.

Thing is amongst the current crop of first grade coaches, Bennett is on his own in terms of getting rid of/replacing it.

Cloud

Juniors
Wayne whinged and wined over Storms so called wrestle tactics, yet what did the Broncos do to the Cowboys? Slow their normally fast play the ball as much as possible.

I thought the Cowboys held down the Broncos players for longer than Broncos held down the Cowboys.

Latest posts