What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennet butthurt

Is wayne a sore loser?

• Yes

Votes: 43 78.2%
  • No

Votes: 12 21.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shorty

Staff member
Broncos might have got some more penalties for the ruck if they didn't do a golden globe every tackle.
That kind of thing will turn a ref off.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I suggest you go and read Andrew Webster's article on it in today's Sydney Morning Herald. He makes it very clear that Bennett broached the whole golden point thing before any journo had a chance to open their mouth. Whilst he has been steadfast against it, to bring it up the way he did, in the context he did, does leave him open to accusations of sour grapes.

Thing is amongst the current crop of first grade coaches, Bennett is on his own in terms of getting rid of/replacing it.

He has been extremely disrespectful to the Cowboys with his comments. "we didn't lose ' and 'golden point is a lottery', if was a Cowboys fans I'd be pissed off with that.
He'll hide behind 'he's always been against golden point'. But Wayne was against golden point because of a player welfare issue. His argument has been there's nothing wrong with a draw when a draw is sufficent, it's to taxing on the players, well in a grand final a draw isn't sufficent, and the 2 alternative options are 10 each way or a replay both of which are more demanding on a player. His argument against golden point in a grand final actually goes against his argument about for golden point in regular season matched due to player welfare.
He argument that a draw had been the rule for 100 years and therfore shouldn't be changed directly contradicts his role on the rules committee which he uses each year to change rules to his favour.
Take his comments for what they are, someone extremely bitter for losing a grand final the way they did ( which is fair enough under the circumstances) but don't try spin it to Wayne is right, he has the games best interest at heart

Incorrect

Coach
I'd hate for my team to lose a GF the way the Boncos did on Sunday night, that is, gifting the opposition the ball in great field goal position in first minute of extra time.... I reckon it would have been more palatable if JT just managed to kick that goal from the sideline... there would have been a nice symmetry to it, because it was a similar pressure conversion V the Storm in Round 4 that gave the Cows a chance to send that game to golden point which then started their great run. Would have been nice to see the same sort of kick end the season there and then the other night...

DiegoNT

First Grade
Wayne is drawing all the media attention to himself to help protect the players. Classic Bennett

Or trying to draw attention away from his own bad tactics?
If toovey, hasler or stuart had made the same comments they'd rightfully be called bitter whingers

Following is the article in the Sydney Morning Herald I mentioned in a previous post -

NRL grand final 2015: Wayne Bennett's golden point gripe is disrespectful to the Cowboys

Date: October 5, 2015 - 2:19PM
by Andrew Webster
Chief Sports Writer, The Sydney Morning Herald

The supercoach plonked down at the table full of microphones and tape recorders for his final media conference of the year and scanned the room of reporters with usual contempt.

His top lip curled. Reverend Bennett was ready. Let the sermon begin …

"Yeah, well, I'm pleased you want to talk about the game a bit, guys, because the bottom line is this was an absolutely outstanding game of football," Bennett said when asked about his Broncos' heroic defence. "To have that you need to have two teams. The game's designed for someone to lose. Someone's gotta lose. 16-all … I would've been happy to come back next week. At the end of the day we got beaten on a field goal. Do we feel beaten? No, we don't. Do we feel disappointed? Yes, we do. Now, you need to recognise that guys. It's not about winning or losing all the time."

Thanks for pointing that out because it wasn't altogether clear from that Cowboys' try on full-time to level the scores, or the sideline conversion from Johnathan Thurston that pinged off the upright, or his successful field goal in golden point, or even the bravery of the Broncos defence, that this was an "outstanding game".

But since you've dangled the line in the water about the issue of golden point, coach, let's ask what you think about that.

"I've never been a fan of golden point," Bennett said. "It was introduced because we had a draw in a game of State of Origin. It's a lottery. It's unfair on everybody and it was most unfair here tonight. I would've been happy to come back here next week. I still don't see what's wrong with the draw. You're talking about a grand final here. It's personally not the way I want it decided … I'm not bitter. Do I sound bitter and twisted?"

Well, to be honest, you do. Just a little bit.

Bennett wasn't ungracious in defeat but he wasn't as gracious as he could have been.

We're not referring to his condescension of the press here. Who cares about the press? That curled lip has been part of the Bennett shtick for decades. Personally, I find it more interesting when Bennett says nothing at all.

His complaints, though, about golden point were disrespectful to the Cowboys. He raised it before any reporter put it to him.

And at the end of the media conference, Bennett knew it, too, because as captain Justin Hodges slowly got up to leave the coach interjected with this: "I just want to make one point. I'm not dirty on the Cowboys. I'm pleased for the Cowboys."

When it comes to media conferences, Bennett has the restraint of the Dalai Lama. He's the master of the two-word answer. Sometimes just the one. On this topic, he could've said nothing. He could've dismissed the questions about golden point like he dismisses almost everything else.
But Bennett couldn't help himself.

Was the result "unfair"? I'll climb out on a very shaky limb and say the Cowboys deserved to win because they showed more initiative with the match on the line. They used the football in the last 20 minutes – not all of it pretty – while the Broncos tried to tackle their way to the finish line, kicking for touch over and over again.

Ultimately, what counts is how you get there. In grand finals, it is about winning and losing. Brian Smith often said to me in interviews that "there's more to footy than winning and losing".

As more than one rival coach would say privately: "I'd believe that, too, if I'd never won a premiership."

Bennett has been a consistent opponent of golden point since its introduction to the NRL in 2003.

The rules were not changed because of a draw in Origin. They were changed after former NRL bosses David Gallop and Graham Annesley attended an NFL match between the San Diego Chargers and Oakland Raiders the previous off-season and witnessed first-hand the excitement around a match decided by golden point.

After much consultation with clubs, players and other leading figures, golden point was introduced. Bennett was almost the lone dissenter. He was easily its loudest critic.

In July that year, his Broncos side beat the Storm in a golden-point epic at Olympic Park in Melbourne and the coach exploded with joy from behind the glass of the coach's box. In other words, he cracked a smile.

"I love the golden point," he joked afterwards, before reminding everyone that he actually didn't.

In 2011, while coaching the Dragons against the Broncos in a semi-final at Suncorp Stadium, he watched Darren Lockyer shank a field goal that just cleared the cross-bar in golden point. It was Bennett's last match in charge of the Dragons.

At the end of that season, the NRL again surveyed all coaches about whether golden point should be modified for the finals. With the exception of Bennett, they wanted it retained.

Let's be fair: it's a horrible way to lose a football match. Would "golden try" be any better? Marginally. Maybe.

You might see less of what happens in golden point at the moment, with defenders jumping the gun off the line, and markers failing to line up squarely, all of them trying to extinguish a field goal and doing so with apparent impunity because they know it would take a brave referee to award a penalty in front of the uprights.

In the aftermath of Sunday night's exhausting climax, there's certainly a belief among wiser heads than this one that 20 minutes of extra-time – just as it was when Canberra beat Balmain in 1989 – would be preferable.

If the scores are still level, golden point could decide the result.

Bennett would've preferred the two sides pack up the circus after full-time before we all came back again in a few days.

Many players tell you they would prefer the matter settled. So would travel-weary fans who have just taken out a second mortgage to attend the match.

Perhaps it's a sermon for another day.

"It's not worth talking about," Cowboys coach Paul Green said when told of Bennett's remarks . "We won the comp, so … "

blaza88z

Coach
I will never forget the time Scott Minto scored a tried to beat Melbourne in Melbourne in golden point and Bennett on the sidelines showed some real emotion when it happened, I think he later said how much he hates the concept of it and was really happy to get the victory despite of it

Hutty1986

Immortal
You can't decide a premiership on a field goal. Teams bust their arses for years just to get to one and to have a GF decided on a one-pointer isn't fair. Poor Ben Hunt will feel like he's dropped a comp (aside from the pretty poor Broncos defence on the last play of regular time) and I think that's bullshit.

DiegoNT

First Grade
You can't decide a premiership on a field goal. Teams bust their arses for years just to get to one and to have a GF decided on a one-pointer isn't fair. Poor Ben Hunt will feel like he's dropped a comp (aside from the pretty poor Broncos defence on the last play of regular time) and I think that's bullshit.

It wad decided on 82 minutes of football.
If Thurston kicks the goal then it's decided by a goal- that's tough for the Broncos
If fieldt gets held out the game was decided by penalty goals- that's tough on the Cowboys.
No matter how the games decided it's tough on the loser.
Plenty of games have been won on field goals, most of these are in the are in regulation time.
It's not the first time an individual mistake has cost a game, or even a grand final

Ice_Storm

Juniors
Personally I think extra time should be played first. Then if still there isn't a result, then its golden point.

In a GF, I think you just have to get a result on the night. Coming back the following week looses speak to me.

thorson1987

Coach

But it would have been ok to win off a field goal right on the full time siren?

The other team doesn't get a right of reply thefe either.

Charlie124

First Grade
"It's not worth talking about," Cowboys coach Paul Green said when told of Bennett's remarks . "We won the comp, so … "

My favourite line of that whole article.

JJ

Immortal
Wayne is drawing all the media attention to himself to help protect the players. Classic Bennett

Hope that's what it is - otherwise he's just being a dick

Regardless of the motivation, not terribly gracious

Hutty1986

Immortal
But it would have been ok to win off a field goal right on the full time siren?

The other team doesn't get a right of reply thefe either.

Yeah fair call. I dunno, it's exciting and all (for the winning fans especially), but I feel like such a big occasion deserves extra time.

axe&smash&crush

Juniors
Wayne whinged and wined over Storms so called wrestle tactics, yet what did the Broncos do to the Cowboys? Slow their normally fast play the ball as much as possible.

Broncos have always had great goal line defence. Showed again during the GF. But isn't that contradictory Wayne? Doesn't that ruin the spectacle? If Storm hold out teams like that, they're ruining the game. Ok for Brisbane to do it isn't it.

Wayne Bennett wants nothing more then the NRL to model the game of Rugby League around HIS style of coaching to suite the Broncos and no one else. He is an evil manipulator and dangerous to the game. He reminds me of Senator Palpatine. Wayne is only one step away from becoming the 'Emperor'. If he does, there is nohope for the game......and the entire universe.

He needs to be stopped.
Palpatine i love it. And is up to the ben and shane skywalker to save us from boring footy

Latest posts