What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best live acts ever

Samwise

Bench
wondering what people would regard the best concerts you have ever been to, both international and aussie.

mine are

International acts- audioslave, red hot chili peppers, ben kweller, foo fighters, at the drive in, muse, metallica, nofx, green day, queens of the stoneage, jurassic 5, unwritten law, ben folds, black rebel motorcycle club, janes addiction and trail of dead.

Aussie acts - grinspoon, jebediah, cat empire, living end, powderfinger, gerling, 1200 techniques, eskimo joe, john butler trio, ben lee, the waifs, spiderbait

brook

First Grade
International: Janes Addiction, PJ Harvey, Bon Jovi (love em or hate em they put on a hell of a live show). Nothing I've seen could compare to those three.

Australian: Spiderbait, Insurge, Custard, The Cruel Sea, Tex Perkins, Bernie Hayes.

pretty much all in that order

legend

Coach
I'm not into the same type of music but for me Bon Jovi are still the hardest working band I have seen. Live experience was amazing, especially in the 80's with New Jersey and Slippery When Wet. Pyro was awesome and the gigs went for well over 2 hours each.

KISS were awesome with and without makeup (95 and 97).

Best Aussie bands I have seen are INXS, Hoodoo Gurus and Hunters and Collectors.

Worst band I ever saw was Poison. Shockingly bad.

aphelion

Juniors
The best live bands I've seen:

Cradle Of Filth (don't laugh! They were good once!)
Impaled Nazarene
Anthrax
Opeth
Slayer
Mayhem
Fear Factory (Demanufacture era)
Rammstein (more for the show than the music)

And from Oz:

Damaged
Destroyer 666
Portal
Nazxul
Astriaal
Lord Kaos
Psychrist

frank

Juniors
brook said:
Bernie Hayes.

Now there's someone who doesn't get the credit he deserves.

His 1st album, Every Tuesday Sometimes Sunday is a true Australian classic. I urge everyone to hunt it down.

Where did you see him Brook? Was he solo or with the Quartet?

I'm pretty sure he still plays at the Rose in Erskineville every week.

brook

First Grade
I agree - vastly underrated.

I've seen him a few times, always with the quartet. The last time was a couple of years ago now, I think he was supporting one of the whitlams concerts my friend used to drag me too (if there was any justice they'd be supporting HIM).

But I think the best was shortly after the album came out at the cat and fiddle in Balmain

Jimbo

Immortal
legend said:
I'm not into the same type of music but for me Bon Jovi are still the hardest working band I have seen. Live experience was amazing, especially in the 80's with New Jersey and Slippery When Wet. Pyro was awesome and the gigs went for well over 2 hours each.

Absolutely.

I went to see them at Eastern Creek in 1995. It hailed, which meant a couple of the supports were cancelled including Dogstar. This was very bad news for the five girls standing in front of us who were only there to see Keanu Reeves, and didn't care about Bon Jovi. Since they were wearing white T-Shirts we were happy they made the effort...

So after the stage was mopped up Jimmy Barnes finally fired up around 7:15 and played for an hour or so which settled the crowd down a bit. Then Bon Jovi made it out at around 9:15, and were still going past midnight. Awesome display, and well worth being hailed on.

brook

First Grade
Jimbo said:
legend said:

Absolutely.

I went to see them at Eastern Creek in 1995. It hailed, which meant a couple of the supports were cancelled including Dogstar. This was very bad news for the five girls standing in front of us who were only there to see Keanu Reeves, and didn't care about Bon Jovi. Since they were wearing white T-Shirts we were happy they made the effort...

So after the stage was mopped up Jimmy Barnes finally fired up around 7:15 and played for an hour or so which settled the crowd down a bit. Then Bon Jovi made it out at around 9:15, and were still going past midnight. Awesome display, and well worth being hailed on.

I was up the front for that one in the vip area (had a friend who was a fan club member) standing knee deep in mud

still one of the best concerts I've been to

legend

Coach
No pyro that night but it was still a great gig. I'm not really a fan of outdoor concerts unless they are in a big stadium that captures the acoustics.

Bon Jovi are still my favourite band because they give so much back with free outdoor concerts, especially in Australia. I saw them in Chruch St Mall Parramatta in 1989 and in Darling Harbour in Dec 2002.

I also saw Richie Sambora at Coogee Bay Hotel in 1998 and he was brilliant.

I've never seen ACDC live but I hear they are phenominal.

Jimbo

Immortal
I've always wanted to see AC/DC live. My uncle and aunt saw them in Brisbane a few years back and said they were awesome

Happy Gilmore

Juniors
AC/DC Rock!!! They are so awesome live, I saw in 1990 or 1991 (not exactly sure when) but when they were playing Thunderstruck, Back In Black, Highway to Hell. :D :shock: Best Live band ever.

The Hoodoo Gurus were pretty good last year, I heard they were good at the Grand Final.

International act- well I have to say Metallica were pretty damm good at the big day out. It got the crowd excited let me tell you.

Jono Russell

Bench
ac/dc,cold chisel and the living end are awsome live for an aussie act

and for international we have
blink 182,the offspring and kiss

Jimbo

Immortal
Might not be everyone's cuppa, but I saw John Farnham at the Entertainment Centre a few years back as well. His music may or may not do it for you, but his professionalism as an entertainer is top notch.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Deep Purple, entertainment centre 1999, just awesome. I also saw them again not long ago at the Lyric Theatre, fanatastic.

Aussie bands- Living End was the best I ever saw, and you cant go past Billy Thorpe how good does he sound, you'd want an encore.

ThrashViking

Juniors
Let me see...
Kiss
Pungent Stench
Meh-Tallica
Dawn Of Azazel
Destroyer 666
Anarazel
Ulcerate
Forced to submit
Backyard Burial
Since ive lived in NZ for along time I havent been able to see alot of International acts.
The worst ive seen is Silverchair & some Slipknot-wanna be's called El Schlong.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Led Zepplin
Deep Purple
ACDC
Free
Greenday
System of a Down
Frenzal
Living End
Drowning Pool
At the Drive In

(and all the bands that I played in)

Simo

First Grade
International,

Live - Secret Samahdi tour in about '97 was awsome, best encore ive ever seen. If memory serves me, they were playing White discussion, and one by one they all left the stage but those left kept playing until it was down to the drummer. He then stopped and went off only a bit later to one by one come back and pick up were they left off and get right back into it, it was awsomw.

Van Halen - The only time they toured here around '98. Great show. Shame it was with Gary Cherone and not Hager or Roth but hey just to see Eddie play the guitar was enough for me. It will be awsome when they come back for the new album with Sammy Hager!

RCHP - Seen the chilies about 4 times and they always have a very tight performance with tonnes of energy. They jump around and really get into it. The SFS concert was a bit hard to see though.

Foo Fighters - Great at the BDO a few years back.

Aussie bands:

Pete Murray - saw him at revesby workers about a month ago. He is a bit boring on stage, not really a showman but his music was good.

Choir Boys - Played at Shark Park in the Super League season. Fun to see a band at the footy. Entertainment everywhere!

Grinspoon - Were pretty goof at the SOO last year. Good entertainment whilst the game wasnt on!

Latest posts