What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best live acts ever

Southernsaint

Staff member
Best Aussie live acts I've seen are:

You Am I - countless occasions, always go off. Last time I saw them was at The Metro. Phil from Grinspoon came out & took over vocals for the encore!!

Midnight Oil - Energetic, passionate & powerful. I saw one of their last gigs ever, at Manly Leagues. If you watch the Oils On The Water DVD just released from the early 80's you can see that Pete & the boys have lost none of the drive or passion.

Dave McCormack - witty, charismatic & writes one hell of a tune. Best seen at the Hopetoun with a pint of Coopers in your hand.

Dave: "any questions??"
Punter: "I love you, Dave!!"
Dave: "That's not a question, that's an invitation"

Last International band I saw was The Stokes - very tight, almost too tight, like you were listening to the CD.

Cheers,
Ben S.

brook

First Grade
I think ANY aussie act is best seen at the hopetown (although I'll normally be holding a vodka not coopers :p )

Once Dead

Bench
Killswitch Engage (Ok, i haven't seen that many big bands) - blew Anthrax off the stage IMO at The Metro in April sound / intensity / crowd involvement - wise.....Howard Jones can scream with the best of them and switch right back to the sweetest of clean vocals within the blink of an eye....Mike D and his fellow geetarist are nuts and play those amazing riffs with such perfection and that all important crunch factor when they are live on stage.....they are also pretty funny during the breaks between songs!

The riffs sent the crowd into a frenzy and the melodic / clean vocals - had EVERYONE singing at the top of their lungs.....especially on My Last Serenade which i have also heard butchered live (bootleg) by KsE - but this time it was INSANE!

Anonymous

Juniors
For an international act its a toss up between Metallica and the Darkness. Metallica were just all round professionals, delivered an awesome set and it just went off. The Darkness was a nice, small, cozy affair... but they know how to work a crowd.

Local act goes to John Butler Trio without a doubt. Saw them at the 'Gong and it was sensational. Massive talents.

Godz Illa

Coach
Jimbo said:
I went to see them at Eastern Creek in 1995. It hailed, which meant a couple of the supports were cancelled including Dogstar. This was very bad news for the five girls standing in front of us who were only there to see Keanu Reeves, and didn't care about Bon Jovi. Since they were wearing white T-Shirts we were happy they made the effort...

So after the stage was mopped up Jimmy Barnes finally fired up around 7:15 and played for an hour or so which settled the crowd down a bit. Then Bon Jovi made it out at around 9:15, and were still going past midnight. Awesome display, and well worth being hailed on.

I was there that day too. It will live long in my memory.

Best acts, international: N*E*R*D, Chili Peppers, Prince, Bon Jovi, Soundgarden, Jurassic 5, White Stripes, No Doubt, Beck, Audioslave, Jamiroquai.
Local: Living End, Shihad, Powderfinger, John Butler Trio, Spiderbait.

Red Bear

Referee
International (no order)
Metallica - Absolutely blew away the ent centre in January. Knew how to get the crowd going and sounded bloody good!

Pennywise - Excellent band to see at the Gaelic Club in Sydney, all the fun of excellent energetic fast performance combined with a circle pit

Fuzigish - Litlle known band from South Africa who supported Frenzal Rhomb last year. One of the most funa bands ever, ska punk kinda band. Skanking around to them wass excellent.

Australian(no order)
The Living End - f**king great, improv guitar on top of their normal songs with Chris rippin it up. Homebake 2000 - bloody brilliant

Frenzal Rhomb - great mix of excellent mousic(being the best band in the world) along with talking alot of funny shit and bring stuff along.

Anonymous

Juniors

I wasn't a fan. I have the Frenzal Rhomb/Fuzigish split CD at home and I can't say its a musical highlight... they were just another Reel Big Fish clone of a ska band amongst the hordes.

Evilgrowler

First Grade
The Sweet 1974. My first live concert. Remember it like it was........umm.......a long time ago. The same year we saw Queen.

Ritchie Blackmores Rainbow in 1976 is one I'll never forget. At Adelaides Festival Theatre. I stood on the same spot as Blackmore 2 weeks later in the Battle Of The Bands getting us disqualified because my solo ran over our allotted time.

But the best live concert I saw was Judas Priest in LA at the US rock Festival. Supported by bands like Saxon, Motely Crue, Y & T. 350,000 people. It was an awe inspiring experience.

Status Quo was actually pretty good as well. No pyros. No gimmicks. Just 4 blokes in jeans and flannos playing good live music.

Red Bear

Referee
I think Fuzigish were excellent, better than most ska bands. Did you see them live?
Upper Hand and How Rude are excellent tracks.

Mong

Post Whore
Metallica/Manson

Frenzal - high intensity concerts, first time i saw them was with toe to toe and banther fodder in a small club in Rockhampton many years ago, still havent seen anything like it.

Southernsaint

Staff member
I remember going to a Pennywise gig at the Roundhouse in the mid-1990's. The place got trashed & everyone charged the T-Shirt stand afterwards nicking everything...

'Bra Boys...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
KISS 2001......The best concert i have been too!!!.....you have not been to a concert untill your visited Kiss!!!

Gunners in 92 at Eastern Creek.....70,000.....unfortunately a stinking hot day, lack of water ruined it!!

Van Halen 97....yes sure at the time Cherone was the singer but still an awesome concert with eddie the star....his 10 minute solo about nothing was simply mind -boggling!

KnightSmurf

Juniors
Best concert ever -- AC/DC in 1996 in Cairns

Others -- Bon Jovi, Live, UB40, Pink, Boyz II Men, U2, RatCat, Jimmy Barnes -- about 5 times, Suzi Quatro, and many more I've forgotten.

Dani

Immortal
dashboard confessional get my vote, although most of the time you cant hear any singing as the crowd is drowning the out singing louder, but they put on an amazing show

Alex28

Coach
Radiohead - Just incredible live - even when Thom's voice is stuffed.
You Am I - Best Australian band live.
Pearl Jam
Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals
John Butler Trio
Michael Franti & Spearhead

SP

Bench
The Corrs, Savage Garden and Matchbox 20, although when/if U2 come back here again, i will go and see them

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the greatest Live act ever is Queen, slightly ahead of Metallica, Cold Chisel and AC/DC.

Latest posts