What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best live acts ever

fat_mike

Juniors
good riddance last friday at the gaelic club was brillaint and is easily the gig i have been to over the past 2 years. also stung out at manly youth centre was incredible. played a shit load of older stuff and i had an absolute ball.

nofx at bdo and me first and the gimme gimmes last year were easily my favourite gigs of all time. gimme gimmes was brilliant as joey from lagwaon fat mike and warren were all on stage at once. nofx was brilliant becasue i was witnessing my favourite band of all time rip it up on stage.

local acts i'd have to say after the fall. check out these central coast lads if you ever get the chance. top gigs

Sportsjock

Juniors
BEST : Coldplay ( Madison Square Garden NY ) , Radiohead ( Sydney Ent Cent OK COMPUTER TOUR late 90's ) , Elton John ( Syd early 90's - my first ever rock concert as a youngster ), Billy Joel ( Syd early 90's ) - Elton and Billy together at the SCG 1995, U2 ( SFS early 90's )

GOOD: Ben Harper ( The London Astoria 2003 ), Pearl Jam ( syd ent cent ) , Live ( Syd Ent Cent ), John Mayer ( Metro showcase gig 2002 ).

PATHETIC: Alex Lloyd ( every concert I've been too - real shame because his CDs are great, wouldn't know how to perform on stage if his life depended on it )

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
As far as "local" acts go, Shihad/Pacifier get it easily, I've seen them more times than I remember and they go off every time. As inernationals go I'd nominate the following:

Radiohead (Ent Cen. '04)
Sepultura (Brixton Academy '94)
Primus (Auckland Town Hall ''94)
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (Enmore '03)

brook

First Grade
Nick Cave is one Aussie act I really regret not seeing

I had the chance at the 96 BDO but (being an idiotic 16yo) chose to see someone else instead - and I haven't had the money and/or oppertunity every other time he's toured since.

fat_mike

Juniors
i saw glimpses of nick last year at homebake. wasnt to my liking but there was a shitload of people there to watch him

Melstar

Juniors
I saw JOhn Butler Trio and Powderfinger at the Beisbane Riverstage last year, both were absolutely awesome.
Something For Kate are great live as well - completely mesmerising I found.
Eskimo Joe and Frenzal both had fun energetic sets when i saw them at Homebake a few years ago.
Ja Rule and Ashanti were awesome when they toured here last year.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
brook said:
Nick Cave is one Aussie act I really regret not seeing

I had the chance at the 96 BDO but (being an idiotic 16yo) chose to see someone else instead - and I haven't had the money and/or oppertunity every other time he's toured since.
Brook, remind me next time he tours in Sydney and you can come along with us. He really is great, especially in a smaller venue like the Enmore (I saw him at BDO '96 too and he was good there but the Enmore show fitted his style better)

Skinner

Coach
It might sound wierd but the best live gig I have ever been to was Ian Dury
and the Blockheads at the old Capitol, the day before they knocked it down
(sometime in the eighties). It just went off completely. Ian kept falling over
on the stage but still kept singing, that complete nutter, Wilco Johnson, was just
demented but played the best bass notes I've heard before or since.

Fabulous.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Alex28 said:
Radiohead - Just incredible live - even when Thom's voice is stuffed.
You Am I - Best Australian band live.
Pearl Jam
Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals
John Butler Trio
Michael Franti & Spearhead

You Know It Makes Sense...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Best concert ever for me was Metallica in January at Syd Ent Cent. They played 3 encores, over 2 hours, and all 15,000 people were engaged and into it. They played about as well at the Big Day Out but hardly anyone in the crowd knew the songs pre-Black album, which is a shame. So There wasn't as much crowd interaction, at least where I was, in the D-Barrier. But that Entertainment centre show was phenomenal.

Other worthy mentions:

Opeth
The Mars Volta
Sepultura
Fear Factory
Strapping Young Lad
Fantomas/Tomahawk (Mike Patton stuff... My only regret in life is not seeing Faith No More when they came here last in 1997 :cry: )

Although, I am not a fan of their music The Living End are very tight live, and enjoyable to watch. Shihad are also good live, seen them a few times.

Most boring band ever: Virgin Black!!! Literally sent me to sleep on the steps of the metro theatre. Even more boring than Something For Kate.

'The Geek Show' which featured Tomahawk, Melvins and Fantomas was another damn good show. You Am I also rock live.

As for Somthing for Kate... there's no emoticon that can express how boring this band is!!!

andrew flap

Bench
Best - David Bowie, Queen, Deep Purple (with and without Blackmore), The Sweet, Alabaster Hand, Neil Young.

Worst - The Damned, Something for Kate, The Johnnys.

Nullajet

Juniors
Best; The Screaming Jets...........can't believe they haven't been mentioned!!! Dave Gleeson is a brilliant frontman.

Iron Maiden were awesome back in 87 but the rich scumbags wont tour down here anymore and that shits me!!!!!

suburbanknight

Juniors
I've attended hundreds of gigs over the years, but the highlights were -

The Jam - Queens Hall, Leeds 1982
The Rolling Stones - Roundhay Park, Leeds 1983
New Order - Manchester Apollo 1984
The Smiths - Manchester Apollo 1985
Simple Minds - Verona, Italy 1985
U2 - Elland Road, Leeds 1987
Pink Floyd - Maine Road, Manchester 1988
The Stone Roses - Spike Island, Liverpool 1989
De La Soul/Happy Mondays - Leeds Uni 1990
Primal Scream - Leeds Uni 1991
Pink Floyd - Earls Court, London 1994
Radiohead - Glastonbury 1998
Roger Waters - Manchester Arena 2002

And the worst, by a long long way........the only concert I have not enjoyed at all -

Oasis - Knebworth 1998

Severely over-rated bunch of talentless wank stains.