What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Off Season Buy

Canard

Immortal
I thought Winterstein was pretty ordinary.

Only above Jones as far as buys go.

Couldn't disagree with you more, but each to there own.

Jones has been an A1 Dud.

Winterstien defence alone in the centres helped us immeasurably, since his injury we are conceding something like 20+ a game.

Whilst that cant be put down to just him, its a part of it.

Ulysseus

Bench
To me, it's the players we got rid of that has made all the difference:

- Antonio Kaufusi
- Manase Manuokafoa
- Willie Mason
- Luke O'Donnell
- Steve Rapira
- Steve Southern
- Arana Taumata
- Carl Webb
- John Williams

Now don't get me wrong, most of those guys have been good at one stage or another - but the way they were playing between 2008 and 2010, it was dragging us down badly to have to carry them ALL at once.

Agree with that, some of the players in that list did not go within a bulls roar of justifying their pay packet for a fair while.

Ulysseus

Bench
And I know he wont be buy of the year but if Saints win the title this year I'll send a thankyou card with $10 in it to Cronulla, considering they would have been paying a large chunk of Cuthbo's wages this year :lol:

Canard

Immortal
Considering that for the next 4 to 5 years he will not get to play there much barring injury or rep games, is that of much use though?

And Id like to see him play about 20 more games before I make any further call however.

hitman82

Bench
Mateo has proven an excellent buy for us. Week in, week out he's provided huge metres and a threat on attack. Over the last 10-15 matches he has also really refined his offloading game and is choosing the right moments to use it nearly every time. And he has been far from a turnstyle on defense.
All round, I'd give Mateo a 9 out of 10. He was EXACTLY the kind of player the Warriors needed and now we are reaping the rewards. I couldn't care less if we are paying huge money for him - the rest of our roster certainly isn't suffering as a result.

elyod138

Bench
Considering that for the next 4 to 5 years he will not get to play there much barring injury or rep games, is that of much use though?

And Id like to see him play about 20 more games before I make any further call however.

I think he's just depth until Ray and Morgan are comfortable in first grade, I doubt he cost much.

I think he'll only play when we have a few injuries.

Big Pete

Referee
When I call somebody ordinary, I don't mean they're bad, just simply not worth mentioning.

elyod138

Bench
When I call somebody ordinary, I don't mean they're bad, just simply not worth mentioning.

It's worth mentioning for Cowboys fans though, the defence on that side of the field for us has been nothing short of horrific over the past few seasons.

LESStar58

Referee
In your opinion, irrespective of how much they are supposedly being paid, who has been the been the best performing buy for any club of the season? As a biased Warriors supporter I'd have to nominate Mateo.

Also out of total bias, Maurice Blair. Came to Melbourne expecting to play five-eighth, gets injured and Gareth Widdop has a blinder of a season. Comes back from injury and holds Beau Champion (expected to fill the boots of Greg Inglis) out of first grade.

How he was not man of the match on Friday night I do not know! Solid defense, two tries and a pivotal play when he took the ball off Thaiday in a one on one strip in the first half. I'm very interested to see if he goes back to Penrith (which the Storm say is bullshit).

We should release Anthony Quinn as we have an embarrasment of riches in the backline already and resign Maurice as a priority!

2012 backline

1. Slater
2. Duffie
3. Nielsen
4. Blair
5. O'Neill
6. Widdop
7. Cronk

:D

Canard

Immortal
Ive only watched Mateo play live once and a couple of times on TV.

He was easily the best player on the field when they beat the Storm at AAMI park on Easter Monday.

But he looks dynamite when Ive watched him, and basically played the "ball playing" role for the team that most halves play in other squads.

Patorick

Staff member
Also out of total bias, Maurice Blair. Came to Melbourne expecting to play five-eighth, gets injured and Gareth Widdop has a blinder of a season. Comes back from injury and holds Beau Champion (expected to fill the boots of Greg Inglis) out of first grade.

How he was not man of the match on Friday night I do not know! Solid defense, two tries and a pivotal play when he took the ball off Thaiday in a one on one strip in the first half. I'm very interested to see if he goes back to Penrith (which the Storm say is bullshit).

We should release Anthony Quinn as we have an embarrasment of riches in the backline already and resign Maurice as a priority!

2012 backline

1. Slater
2. Duffie
3. Nielsen
4. Blair
5. O'Neill
6. Widdop
7. Cronk

:D
Blair's going back to Penrith.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Paterson and Johnson for Cowboys for me. How Newcastle let Cory walk I'll never know. He will be a rep player in next couple of years imo. Johnson's given them the strach in the middle they so badly needed.

Results mean more than money and he is delivering results

Yep definitely.

I like Mateo and hope he does well for you guys. Do i think he's worth 350-400, no. But then again i dont think Sandow is worth whatever we will be paying him. It's all relative i guess, you guys needed a playmaking second rower and paid overs for Mateo, we needed a halfback and so next year we will be paying overs for Sandow.

The Warriors are one of the teams i wouldn't mind winning the whole thing and i'm hoping Feleti has a hand in it.

rnb11

Juniors
Paterson and Johnson for Cowboys for me. How Newcastle let Cory walk I'll never know. He will be a rep player in next couple of years imo. Johnson's given them the strach in the middle they so badly needed.

When you're one of the laziest players in the competition, only play half a season and your asking price is over 300k, can't blame Newcastle for letting Paterson go. He has about 2 good games a year, just never lived up to his potential. Cowboys will soon see the real Pato and ask themselves why they even bothered

Cowboys did extremely well in the recruiting whoever was the recruitment officer deserves a bonus for the results given by the new crop of Cowboys great thing is the likes of Tariq Sims, Ray Thompson, Segs, and KFL are only going to get better as the years progress. Dallas is a workhorse like no other and the rest of the buys have provided decency. Hopefully Tate stays injury free for the remaining duration at the Cowboys but he already an asset off the field providing professionalism and motivation for the squad.

Last edited:

Latest posts