What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BHP Abandon the Heartland

Rexxy

Coach
Strategic plan' puts Bulldogs before Dragons

Author: By PAUL SUTTOR
Date: 13/02/2004
Words: 287
Source: ILL

Publication: Illawarra Mercury
Section: Sport
Page: 64

BLUESCOPE Lysaght, a company steeped in the history of the steel city of Wollongong, has announced it will sponsor Sydney side the Bulldogs in this year's National Rugby League competition.

The company formerly known as BHP Steel Lysaght, a composite of two names that have been part of the Illawarra landscape for several decades, has signed on the dotted line for the Belmore-based Bulldogs.

Interestingly, Wollongong's NRL team St George Illawarra is without a major sponsor heading into next month's season kick-off.

BlueScope is no longer solely based in the Illawarra and has offices in Melbourne, Asia and the Sydney suburb of Chullora, in Bulldog territory.

The BlueScope partnership with the Bulldogs is sure to raise eyebrows in the Illawarra, along the lines of IMB's decision to link with Cronulla two years ago.

BlueScope Lysaght Australia president Bob Moore said the sponsorship of the Bulldogs was part of a strategic marketing plan.

``It's about repositioning the Lysaght brand," he said.

``Sport is very strong in the building and construction industry, and, in NSW and Queensland at least, rugby league is incredibly popular. What better team to raise the BlueScope Lysaght profile than the Bulldogs?

``We chose to sponsor the Bulldogs predominantly to support our branding activities in NSW. They are a very professional outfit, and Canterbury-Bankstown is a strategic area for us."

Bulldogs chief executive Steve Mortimer said the one-year sponsorship deal would mean the BlueScope Lysaght logo would be displayed on the shorts of the players.

``I'm very delighted to have BlueScope Lysaght on board as an important sponsor," Mortimer said.

``Whilst the organisations are down in Wollongong, there is a big complex up at Bankstown, too."

Wobbygong

First Grade
Even as a sharky fan, I have to admit they look pretty silly sponsoring the Cheats at the expense of you guys.

How embarrassing for all the Cheats sponsors, should the allegations been found to be true?

I'd be terminating all association with them quick smart.

Good thing we've got St George Bank in our corner then. Yet again the Sydney side of the JV steps up to the plate while the Wollongong wallies shirk it.

Jimbo

Immortal
The company has obviously rated the Dragons and the Bulldogs in terms of integrity and potential success, and opened the wallet accordingly.

BTW, wasn't there supposed to be an announcement made last week about a jumper sponsor? Did they pull out?

Southernsaint

Staff member
Denis'saints'Freak said:
Good thing we've got St George Bank in our corner then. Yet again the Sydney side of the JV steps up to the plate while the Wollongong wallies shirk it.

Don't talk like that, Denis. We're all one happy team now :roll:

Cheers,
Ben S.

Godz Illa

Coach
Jimbo said:
The company has obviously rated the Dragons and the Bulldogs in terms of integrity and potential success, and opened the wallet accordingly.

Smart move. Shame about that pesky little rape scandal, though.

Godz Illa

Coach
Nice retort, Einstein. 'Its all relative.' The estate of Oscar Wilde are calling in the lawyers I'm sure. Such dazzling wit must surely have been stolen from the great Irish raconteur.

Roosterphin

Juniors
Denis'saints'Freak said:

Good thing that the Illawarra provides all the players otherwise ther would be no team. :roll:

Southernsaint

Staff member
Roosterphin said:
Denis'saints'Freak said:

Good thing that the Illawarra provides all the players otherwise ther would be no team. :roll:

We've only got one team to do that for us ( :roll: ), what's it like having fifteen??

Cheers,
Ben S.

Jimbo

Immortal
Seriously though, you guys have to be a little concerned about your image problem. Especially since this is not the first time a sponsor has abandoned the Illawarra for greener pastures...

Rexxy

Coach
I know comprehnsion is not playing to your strong suite Jim but .....

The article says they chose one club over the otehr for marketing reasons. It doesnt say they chose one club becuase it was More Professional.

BHP may have had a past in the Illawarra but they have gone.

Of course, if you want a debate as to which club has more money in reserves, more leagues club income, bigger catchment, no chance of relocating to the Gold Coast, we could always look at St George Vs Cronulla.

Never in our history did they try to sell us to a struck off Doctor as a prize for his 30 year younger wife. Dr Edelstien, come on down.

Southernsaint said:
Denis'saints'Freak said:

Don't talk like that, Denis. We're all one happy team now :roll:

Cheers,
Ben S.

Yes, we're all happy and united behind the Dragons brand these days. :oops:

Collateral

Coach
Roosterphin said:
Denis'saints'Freak said:

Good thing for you that there is a Dragons forum, otherwise you'd probably be the most bored person in the world.
But who can blame you? the Chooks arent the most exciting team in the game.

drake

First Grade
It may have to do with the blue and white that BHP Bluescope use for their logo.
I dunno.
I'm glad they did bar us, With a blue and white sponsor, myopic people might think we were the roosters, and then we'd all have to commit sepeku for the dishonour.

Roosterphin

Juniors
RedDragon said:
Roosterphin said:
Denis'saints'Freak said:

Good thing for you that there is a Dragons forum, otherwise you'd probably be the most bored person in the world.
But who can blame you? the Chooks arent the most exciting team in the game.

Just thought it was a bit harsh to say the Wollongong Wallies, as he put it contribute nothing when they contribute the team.

Buzz Boy

Juniors
You've got to love unity!

Without the JV St George would have struggled and, dare I say it, would be seriously considering relocation.

The St Georges Basin provides one of the richest junior areas in the world.

Why must the vocal minority of fans continue to try and destabilise OUR CLUB!!!

The JV is here to stay - if you don't like it, go and support the Sharks and see what we would be like without it.

No need to reply to this... I can feel the daggers penetrating my back even as I type this.

8)

I'm sure a successful season by our beloved Dragons will bridge the divide.

:)

drake

First Grade
As a lifelong st george fan living in the illawarra I couldn't agree with you more jb.
we have only grown stronger for the merge.
Go the Dragons!