What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Day Out 2010

fish eel

Immortal
Flicking around on Ch V just saw Rise Against.

Never heard them before. Seriously, because I dont listen to much radio. But f**k me how bad are they?

Seriously, I they're terrible.

Red Bear

Referee
Flicking around on Ch V just saw Rise Against.

Never heard them before. Seriously, because I dont listen to much radio. But f**k me how bad are they?

Seriously, I they're terrible.
I used to love rise against, and Revolutions per Minute was a supurb album, but their last album was sh*thouse and they only seem to play music off their last two. Have the capacity to put on a sh*t show as well, they have dissappeared up their own bums a little

natheel

Coach
rise I thought were good coulda been on at a later time due to the heat preventing me to fully get into it

skeepe

Immortal
Had a great time, f**king hot though. Muse were awesome as expected... That cover of Back In Black with Nic Cester was magic.

Really enjoyed Fear Factory, Kasabian, Mars Volta and, surprisingly, Lilly Allen.

Was looking forward to Rise Against since so many seem to rave about them, very disappointed to see another derivative, unoriginal pop punk band. Mastodon disappointed too, as did Girl Talk, but I don't know why I expected much from him to begin with.

Overall a great day despite the heat and mass chafage.

Muse...from memory there was - no order:

Time Is Running Out
Supermassive Black Hole
Knights Of Cydonia
Hysteria
Uprising
Back In Black (feat Nic from Jet)
United States Of Eurasia
Undisclosed Desires

Few more

Well, for my day I managed, somehow to catch quite a few acts;

Lisa Mitchell 8
Really was a bright and bubbly (plus bloody warm) start to the day. I love her style as a performer, and today she didn't get a single coin thrown at her.
Bluejuice 6
Funny, yes. Entertaining, yes. But still the music just didn't appeal to my tastes.
Karnivool 6
Waited at the front for Mastodon listening to this. Again, not a fan. I don't know what it was about them, but they seemed to drag on horribly.
Mastodon 9
Played the whole album, despite an early mistake absolutely nailed the Czar. It was quite interesting seeing them, would've loved to see some old stuff.
The Middle East 7
Not too bad, there are better songs than Blood. Fun though. Especially the story about the singer's injury.
Eskimo Joe 4
Cannot stand them, but it was a chance to see the beginning of the crowd's rise. For the usual fan they did play well.
Hilltop Hoods 0
I heard three songs while in the toilet queue. Worst part of my day.
The Decemberists 6
Didn't hear much, as we were having dinner at the time, but I guess you could say it was good background music.
The Horrors 8
Fantastic, except they lasted fifteen minutes before calling quits. A shame. Not usually a listener but they played bloody well, especially in the rain. It all fit perfectly.
Dizzee Rascal 1
Kill Me.
Rise Against 4
Caught the last few songs, it was ok, but hell, a lot better than Dizzee. Seem really keen to bring punk back.
Lily Allen 6
Sadly, a disappointment for me. I don't mind her, but God she dragged a lot of her songs, plus the distant sound didn't do well for her accent. When "Not Fair" lasts about ten minutes...jeez.
The Mars Volta 9
My highlight, Goliath and L'Via L'Viaquez were absolutely great to witness. My personal favourite for the day. The crowd definitely left for the show, but I bloody loved it.
Powderfinger 7
I don't like them but the hour was surprisingly good. A lot of impatience for Muse, but Powderfinger did all they needed to for a good show.
Muse 7
Didn't hit the expectations that so many people set for them, nevertheless they do a good live show, I can't stand songs from the new album, plus Supermassive Black Hole so lost some interest there. Crappy cover with Nic from Jet though.
Fear Factory 8
Played bloody well, a good way to end the night.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Muse were phenomenal on Day one of Sydney... maybe they used up their energy lol.

Muse setlist:
1. Uprising
2. Supermassive Black Hole
3. Interlude
4. Hysteria
5. Undisclosed Desires
6. MK Ultra (preceded by Headup riff)
7. Stockholm Syndrome
8. Nishe
9. United States Of Eurasia
10. Helsinki Jam
11. Starlight
12. Time Is Running Out
13. Unnatural Selection
Encore:
14. Back In Black (AC/DC cover) (with Nic Cester from Jet)
15. Plug In Baby
16. Knights of Cydonia (Man With A Harmonica intro)

Saw The Temper Trap, Karnivool, Kasabian, Eskimo Joe, a bit of Hilltop Hoods, Dizzee Rascal, Lily Allen, Mars Volta, Powderfinger and Muse.

Mars Volta didn't get the crowd going and there was a heap of space in the D... I reckon they should've swapped them with Grinspoon and put Grinners up front instead of out on Green. Stupid decision I reckon. Them or Jet? Dunno.

Dizzee Rascal was pretty awesome, the entire arena was going off front to back... Lily Allen was surprisingly entertaining and Powdy bounced back from what I thought was a pretty uninspiring Homebake set to get the crowd going.

As said, Muse was f**kin awesome. Those giant white screens were a good idea and probly should've been used all day IMO... and the post-show fireworks were incredible!

Tom Shines

First Grade
Saw Grinners instead of some of Powderfinger and Muse. I definitely made the right call, they were back to their best.

Temper Trap were great, as were Dizzee, Jet, and Lily. The Decemberists surprised me immensely.

Oh and that band in the book listed as "Freak" on Hot Produce? That was Faker. Had the privilege of a 200-strong crowd there, was fantastic.

fish eel

Immortal
Muse are a band I need to get into more.

When they first came out, they were like a Radiohead Jnr, just ripping off The Bends.

Now Radiohead have disappeared up Thom's arse, Muse are still going strong.

I like the fact they're ambitous. They want to be a big band, that plays big venues and have the big songs to match.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Karnivool 6
Waited at the front for Mastodon listening to this. Again, not a fan. I don't know what it was about them, but they seemed to drag on horribly.

The Karnivool set they played at the GC was a set for fans of the new album, and not for the casual listener imo. While its a great album, the songs on it aren't repetitive and not quite as catchy as the first album. Its more of an album you can listen too 1,000 times, and still find something new to like about it on the 1,001'st listen. It goes for over 70 minutes, the songs are long. If you want to give Karnivool more of a listen I'd start with 'Themata' there first album and work into 'sound awake'. I've become a huge fan of these guys and they're probably my favourite aussie band, shading out dead letter.

I'm glad to hear that Mars were what you expected. I thought they were brilliant. Far too tight.. insane!

fish eel

Immortal
Had a great time, f**king hot though. Muse were awesome as expected... That cover of Back In Black with Nic Cester was magic.

Really enjoyed Fear Factory, Kasabian, Mars Volta and, surprisingly, Lilly Allen.

Was looking forward to Rise Against since so many seem to rave about them, very disappointed to see another derivative, unoriginal pop punk band. Mastodon disappointed too, as did Girl Talk, but I don't know why I expected much from him to begin with.

Overall a great day despite the heat and mass chafage.

the clips I saw on V just struck me as alternate rock by numbers. Have the 'look'...check....angsty songs...check etc etc.

skeepe

Immortal
Loved Muse as I said, still disappointed they didn't play Newborn and Resistance, but I guess I'll see them again in November so it's all good.

Unnatural Selection was brilliant, damn that's a good live song.

azzah72

Bench
Loved Muse as I said, still disappointed they didn't play Newborn and Resistance, but I guess I'll see them again in November so it's all good.

Unnatural Selection was brilliant, damn that's a good live song.

Agreed,

I would of liked of have heard some butterflies and Hurricanes, Invincible, Exopolitics and Guiding Light

But there's always the end of the year.

I though Calvin Harris freaking rocked it, Temper trap and passion pit were good, Bluejuice were fun, Hilltop were average, Dizzee was good if only for the crowd losing their sh*t for bonkers.

Latest posts