What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Day Out 2010

natheel

Coach
Well seeing as Big Day Out has played in 2 cities so far GC and NZ....thought id bump this thread for reviews of the days and bands people have seen this year and who they recomend others to see at upcoming bdo

i went to NZ and will be at first syd show.

for me highlight of the day (not just coz im a huge fan) was rise against....for me they provided a great fun setlist for the crowd to sing-a-long to and get involved. Tim is a great front man and for me ive seen them 6 times now and improve every single time another highlight was Mars Volta (have improved alot live) and i thoroughly enjoyed them.

other bands i saw: (in order)

got there at 12.30 (flights)

Karnivool 6/10
Mastodon 8/10
Midnight Youth 6/10
Girl Talk 8/10 (lots of fun)
Powderfinger 7/10 (fun sing a long)
Dizzee Rascal 7/10
Rise Against 9/10
Mars Volta 8.5/10
Muse 7/10 (great live show) not really a big fan
Fear Factory 7.5/10

whole day for me was about 8/10 had a good day wasnt too hot and at night was quite cool

bands ill be seeing AGAIN in syd
Fear Factory
Muse
Rise Against
Mastodon
Girl Talk

others ill check other bands unless nothing is on

sting

Bench
girl talk will tear the roof off the boiler room!

natheel, did he play all new stuff? or mash ups from feed the animals, night ripper, etc ?

natheel

Coach
girl talk will tear the roof off the boiler room!

natheel, did he play all new stuff? or mash ups from feed the animals, night ripper, etc ?

he did a mixture to be honest but coz he was in NZ he mixed in some aussie classics and some NZ bands too which i though was pretty f**king cool. he mixed in scribe haha and midnight oil crowded house etc it was heaps of fun id say in Sydney and other aus cities he will go pretty hard with the aussie music

natheel

Coach
I <3 Mastodon.

yeh theyre awesome this was their set list from what i remember in NZ only sucky thing is they started at 1pm and only had 45 minutes so couldnt play much

1. Oblivion
2. Divinations
3. Quintessence
4. The Czar
5. Ghost Of Karelia
6. Crack the Skye
7. The Las Baron

Rise Against Set lIst from what i remember

Collapse (Post Amerika)
Re-Education Through Labour
Good Left Undone
Long Forgotten Sons
Savior
The Dirt Whispered
Audience Of One
Prayer of the Refugee
Swing Life Away
Give It All
Ready To Fall

braz

Juniors
I'm going to Mastodon sideshow tonight!!!

BDO plan for tomorrow for me:

Karnivool
Mastodon
Regular John
Tumbleweed
Mars Volta
Powderfinger or Grinspoon or Bar
Muse
Fear Factory

Should be a good day

natheel

Coach

Karnivool
Mastodon
Regular John
Tumbleweed
Mars Volta
Muse
Fear Factory

Should be a good day

mastodon sideshow will go off man theyre awesome live! plus u will just get crack the skye tomorrow at bdo tonight they will have much longer to play

natheel

Coach

Karnivool
Mastodon
Regular John
Tumbleweed
Mars Volta
Muse
Fear Factory

Should be a good day

oh another thing i heard powderfinger were good very accomplished so grab a few beers and expect to sing a long always fun

Danish

Referee

Karnivool
Mastodon
Regular John
Tumbleweed
Mars Volta
Muse
Fear Factory

Should be a good day

Thats about my day...

Although I'll definitely be taking in Powderfinger over Grinspoon. Seen Grinspoon plenty, never seen the finger. Plus I'll need to be in the D by then to get up the front for Muse as promised to the missus.

braz

Juniors
mastodon sideshow will go off man theyre awesome live! plus u will just get crack the skye tomorrow at bdo tonight they will have much longer to play

Yeah I saw them back up slayer a couple of years ago and they ripped.

Tonight I am expecting Crack the Skye from start to finish and then another 45 mins of their back catalogue which is brilliant also.

I am suprised they are just playing the new album at the BDO. I would have thought Blood and Thunder would be a must esp because it is on Guitar Hero Metallica.

braz

Juniors
oh another thing i heard powderfinger were good very accomplished so grab a few beers and expect to sing a long always fun

Yeah they are OK. Don't rate their new stuff at all.

Missus loves them so its a fair chance I will be watching them!

braz

Juniors
Thats about my day...

Although I'll definitely be taking in Powderfinger over Grinspoon. Seen Grinspoon plenty, never seen the finger. Plus I'll need to be in the D by then to get up the front for Muse as promised to the missus.

I am actually really looking forward to it, the line-up is looking a lot better since the later announcements.

Danish

Referee
True.

They've also managed a good time table which allows seeing everyone I want, the only stuff up being Grinspoon at the same time as Muse.

Would have been better to throw them on at 3pm for an afternoon set in place of Eskimo Joe. The earlier you get Phil on stage the better really. Less time for him to get pissed, stoned and just generally f**ked up prior to getting on stage.

natheel

Coach
I am actually really looking forward to it, the line-up is looking a lot better since the later announcements.

just go with no real expectations instead just go to have a good time few beers listen to music u will have an awesome day....sydney is gunna be f**king HOT though

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
I did the GC BDO and had a pretty good day.

In order of sets

Bluejuice: 7 out of 10. Great fun; admittedly i've only just recently got into the latest album but it was worth the wait for Vitriol and Broken Leg. Being early in the day i was probably at my loosest, so that helps make it fun.
Karnivool: 9 out of 10. I am a huge fan of these guys; and the crowd loved them. They are pretty much flawless live. Were up there as my favourite for the day.
The Temper Trap: 8 out of 10. I love the album from start to finish. The set probably fell short for me because of a lack of published material. They played a new song, which was pretty ordinary. But the stuff you know is good.
Rise Against: 9 out of 10. Hadn't seen these guys since Taste of Chaos 3 or 4 years ago. They've improved a heap since then in terms of stage presence, but even back then they were extremely tight. It was a great set, especially if you know the songs and can jump along with it.
The Mars Volta: 9 out of 10. Were incredibly tight, great to watch. I'm honestly not a huge fan of them but they were a band i could stand there and watch just because of the how good they are.
Lily Allen: 5.5 out of 10. I'm not a fan, and it wasn't stuff you could get into off the cuff. Last year pendulum were a band i hadn't heard of but really got into enjoying. This was probably a set for established fans because its pretty uninspiring music for those just wanting to have a bit of fun.

Saw bits of dizee, hilltop hoods and jet but not enough to be bothered to give them a rating.

This year I found i had more time for beers, food etc because there werent acts all through the day i wanted to see. Having said that probably enjoyed the overall quality of bands better than last year.