What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big League - The NRLUS is dead

marv

Juniors
Rugby League is not even the smallest of blips on the sporting radar in the US. Most people who think they know of the game are actually thinking of Rugby.

I live in the "heartlands" in the UK and people think that here, so I can only imagine what you up against In the US

C.P

Juniors
Im pretty sure Luke Hume went to Endeavour sports high and played some toyota cup for cronulla - if its the same person im thinking of.

Luke Hume is a pretty good player and played the first half of this season with the Newtown Jets - mostly off the bench. He's only young (21/22 I think) so has obviously just taken an opportunity to see a bit of the world

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
NRLUS forum said:
I was at the championship game on saturday and David Niu spoke a little about the pro comp after the game,things are going a little slower than first thought but things are definatley moving forward,maybe not for a 2010 start but not long after that.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's an idea, any NRL player who is suspended should be allowed to play for a team in the US until their suspension is lifted.

Furthermore, every NRL side should align themselves with one American team.

Jankuloski

Juniors
HELL NO!

It wouls make heaps of trouble for the American clubs when they search for sponsorship - the NRLUS would be mocked as the All Australian rejects. If you're suspended it's a punishment - now what does that say about a league if you play in it as a punishment?

And I don't get why so many clubs from AmNRL copy the logos of NRL clubs... The Axemen are doing just fine without it. The game is rugby league, not the NRL. NRL is the top championship in the world, but just copying the logos won't replicate results in other areas. Why would anyone take interest in watching the american pro comp, if they can watch the real thing - NRL?

It would be like me telling you that the Storm should align itself with Brisbane.

And the name NRLUS or AMNRL should be dropped in favour of something more original IMO. I think they are doing it because every major sport in US is the National Something of Something (National Basketball Ass, National Football League...), but ther still the am or the US that sticks out.

SignGuyDino

Juniors
I think a lot of us agree the NRL-US name is unwise. As to the logos, Niu claimed there would be new names for all the teams.

The AMNRL supposedly has agreements to be allowed to borrow NRL logos for their league. I think the AMNRL is considered semi-pro anyway.

Look, I said it before, in the best of times it's difficult to start a new league. What people object to are the lack of announcements on anything. If the league is to be delayed, at least have the guts to admit it on your website. This should have happened on September at the latest, when it was obvious it was a no-go.

As to formal team alliances to NRL teams, I would suggest a partnership (not a money one, a barter one), where NRL and SuperLeauge teams can align with an American-based pro team if they want to, but after five years, the American league is on their own and can buy and sell players just like the big boys. My biggest complaint with MLS (besides the low pay) is that teams like Real Salt Lake still have an affiliation (albeit only marketing) with Real Madrid. Time to be weaned.

Until then, what we need is an agressive effort not just to start a pro league, but set up the non-profit infrastructure to get the games in the high schools. You have legit high school competitions in the Spring and this game is going to take off. (My "Gridiron Rugby" idea is just one way to approach it.) NO business plan for a pro league should be without a serious plan to grow the game in the high schools.

We also need the NRL and SuperLeague to help whet the appetites by getting the games on American TV and promoting the website for the American pro league like SpikeTV promoted the AMNRL website during the NRL playoffs. That will help a lot.

The reality is that Niu, for all his efforts growing the semi-pro league, has to realize that going pro requires a lot more professional help than he apparently wants to admit. I say apparently because he won't say anything public to confirm or dispute any of this.

MR KNIGHT

Juniors
Wow. Their website is STILL not fixed.

I was speaking to someone who knows what is going on and there are apparently still some HIGH level talks going on. So why would they announce anything.

Also, from what I hear, Nui has got some fairly professional help at the moment. I dont think he is doing this for his own benefit or trying to keep it to himself. I dont think anyone could give up their time to do it for nothing. It is very easy to be an armchair critic.

Jankuloski

Juniors
It takes bloody 15 minutes to update a website, or 2 for a facebook page if they want to keep the fans knowing that they're alive. Nothing armchairy about it - they're due to launch in 3 months and no one has heard anything about them since the summer.

SignGuyDino

Juniors
I was speaking to someone who knows what is going on and there are apparently still some HIGH level talks going on. So why would they announce anything.

Also, from what I hear, Nui has got some fairly professional help at the moment. I dont think he is doing this for his own benefit or trying to keep it to himself. I dont think anyone could give up their time to do it for nothing. It is very easy to be an armchair critic.

Problem is we've been hearing "big announcement coming soon" for several months. Also heard "high level talks going on" for several months. Last time the website was hacked and came back up the September tryouts that were supposed to happen had passed. It's already too late for 2010. Why can't they release ONE statement saying as such?

I'm hardly an "armchair critic." I've been involved in minor league and recreation sports for 10 years. When I hear "big announcement coming soon" 99.999999% of the time, experience tells me it's a stalling tactic and NOTHING is coming. Frankly, you don't even need that experience to doubt someone who has repeatedly failed to update anything on his website.

Can't be that "professional" if they can't update a website. Sorry.

Last edited:

Fraser

rugby league MUST get a professional comp in the us, only way our game to going to succeed there. show our great product to the people of america. "gridiron without pads" :thumn

Knownothing

Juniors
rugby league MUST get a professional comp in the us, only way our game to going to succeed there. show our great product to the people of america. "gridiron without pads" :thumn

News Corporation spent 700 million bucks setting up Super League in Australia. How much would it cost to set up an equivalent competition in the US, and who will pay?

Fraser

News Corporation spent 700 million bucks setting up Super League in Australia. How much would it cost to set up an equivalent competition in the US, and who will pay?

give nrl on spike a few years, soon dozens of channels will be bidding millions for the NRL rights, huge potential

Latest posts