What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bird - Good riddance

Stake Removed

First Grade
You won a Premership at the Sharks then you have shot at them, total ingrad you are glad you have gone

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/8c7586e52ee00be9e17e18d666bf7284

BRISBANE’S $3.5 million recruit Jack Bird says he is under pressure to succeed next season and has pledged to unleash the best form of his career to help deliver another Broncos premiership.

In his first interview as a Bronco, Bird opened up about his reasons for quitting the Sharks and the bitter feud between Brisbane and Cronulla over the shoulder operation that will delay his 2018 season.

The attacking dynamo also ended months of speculation over his playing position, outlining plans to wear the No. 3 jumper made famous by Broncos legend Steve Renouf.

“The Broncos is a new chapter for me,” Bird said.

“You haven’t seen the best of me in the NRL.”

POINT TO PROVE

IN the past five years, a string of Broncos off-season recruits have failed to deliver.

Scott Prince, Martin Kennedy, James Gavet, Greg Eden and Mitch Garbutt never reached great heights at Red Hill.

Then there’s Ben Barba, perhaps the biggest recruitment flop in Broncos history after his forgettable one-season stint in 2014.

Bird will be one of Brisbane’s highest-paid players next season on an estimated $800,000. The Broncos are paying for premiership quality and Bird, who won a title with Cronulla in 2016, wants to break Brisbane’s 12-year drought.

“I know the Broncos expect a lot of their recruits,” he said.

“I’ve looked at our roster and I believe we can win a grand final here.

“I have signed here for four years and during that time I’d love to get another premiership ring.

“I’m looking forward to working with Wayne Bennett. I have known him since his days at the Dragons, but I was in the junior grades then. He has been very good as a mentor to me since I’ve signed.

“My goal is to help the Broncos win a grand final. I want to play the best football of my career at this club.”

1223d32b8706b6ccdbc8b7d36c8d31de

Jack Bird is the latest big-name recruit to join Brisbane.
QUITTING CRONULLA

ON the surface, Bird and Cronulla seemed a perfect match.

In three seasons in the Shire, Bird made his NRL debut, broke into the NSW Origin team and helped Cronulla smash a 49-year premiership hoodoo. But after 66 games for the club, Bird became restless.

“To be honest, I felt I was stagnating at the Sharks,” he said.

“I felt I could get better as a player. I wasn’t playing well towards the end at the Sharks, so I felt I needed a change.

“Maybe the Sharks’ structures weren’t suited to me. I had a good two years there but last year I went downhill. I was probably a bit stale. I wasn’t enjoying my football.

“I just look at the Broncos’ style and they play a different structure and style of football to the Sharks.

“I’m hoping they can inject me into the game a bit more. The Broncos are the right fit for me.”

038040a3c0fc0a6ee2e489bbad550d91

Jack Bird helped Cronulla win the 2016 NRL grand final. Picture: Gregg Porteous
THE SHOULDER BUST-UP

BIRD is expected to miss the first month of the 2018 premiership after having shoulder surgery last month.

Broncos coach Bennett slammed the Sharks for failing to advise Bird he required an operation. Cronulla medicos backed their rehabilitation plan for Bird.

“I’m disappointed at the Sharks,” said Bird, speaking for the first time about the issue.

“I had a good talk to the Broncos’ surgeon about my shoulder and he made it clear I needed the operation.

“The Sharks said you couldn’t see the damage on the first scan but I was disappointed they didn’t send me for another scan using the dye, which would have shown up the damage.

“They did what they had to do. I don’t want to be bagging the Sharks, I’m looking forward now, but the fact I eventually needed surgery, it has set me back a month. There’s nothing I can do now.

00d369d3b79039b44dd145a8eccfa8ab

Jack Bird is expected to miss the opening month of the 2018 season after having shoulder surgery. Picture: Liam Kidston.
“They believed they were doing the right thing, but I kept telling them I was having pain. It was sore when I first injured my shoulder and I missed five games.

“When I came back for the semis, it wasn’t hurting as much, but I was still getting pain doing weights and bench pressing. All the ligaments at the back of my shoulder were torn and the bone was coming in and out pushing against my back.

“I’m a little bit disappointed at how things have started at the Broncos. I was looking forward to having a real big crack in pre-season with a view to playing in Round 1 against my junior club the Dragons.

“Hopefully I can get back quicker than expected. I will probably miss four games but if I do my rehab right, I could be back in time for Round 1.”

34c8bae5b70f536c5bd078b9741f745c

Jack Bird is set to continue playing in the centres for Brisbane. Picture: Gregg Porteous
CENTRE STAGE

BIRD has been linked with the five-eighth and lock positions at the Broncos but says he is excited at the prospect of forging a centre strike force with James Roberts.

“I will more than likely start in the centres,” he said.

“I’m still not 100 per cent sure because Wayne Bennett was away with the World Cup, but if he wants me to play centre, that’s fine with me.

“All the talk about me not liking centre at the Sharks was a misunderstanding. I’m happy to play anywhere at the Broncos. I like having the ball in my hands. I’m not a ball hog, but if I’m not in the game, I do tend to go missing.

“James Roberts got a lot of ball here last season and I think the Broncos can do the same for me. I have struck up a good friendship with Jimmy, so hopefully we can be a good centre pairing on the field.”

96480685bc2183c079bb30cecfc6a6f0

Jack Bird hopes to continue his NSW State of Origin career. Picture: Brett Costello
ARTHRITIS BATTLE

AT age 16, Bird was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. It is an auto-immune disorder that can cause bone erosion and joint deformity.

Bird turns 23 in March and is confident his career will not be cut short.

“My arthritis is good now, I’m in remission with it,” he said.

“I still have injections to keep it under control. I don’t like talking about it too much because I get asked about it all the time, but I’m really happy with how my body is holding up.

“I want to play Origin again next year. I don’t think I’ll be popular with Queensland and Broncos fans if I’m wearing a Blues jersey, but that’s OK, I can handle it.”

M2D2

Bench
Im in the "i no longer care" mindset.
He can do Hunts cocaine now that hes gone as well.

Stake Removed

First Grade
Just seen article re Dugan, compare that he dosent rip into Dragons at all, outlines why, seems Duges has grown up

Josh Dugan opens up on move to Cronulla Sharks, what position he’ll play in 2018
DAVID RICCIO, CHIEF SPORTS WRITER, The Daily Telegraph
December 9, 2017 5:24pm

Subscriber only
WHAT a difference a few colours make.

Pulling on the Sharks jersey he will wear for the next four years for the first time, Josh Dugan strolled on to Cronulla beach on Thursday.

Standing nearby, excited school kids screamed and cheered Dugan’s name. Only a few months ago, the former Canberra and St George Illawarra ace would’ve been treated like a trespasser and hit with sand cakes.

Yet ahead of what he describes as his most important “chapter”, Dugan is already being treated like a trump card.

Fresh from a stunning World Cup victory with Australia, Dugan has revealed the desire to “personally invest in the Sharks’’ as a major reason behind his defection from the Dragons.

“I haven’t really said this before, but signing a four-year deal was the deciding factor in me coming to the Sharks,’’ Dugan said.

b21a6e27c70f54a41e41c416b41ad74d

Josh Dugan shows off his new Sharks gear at Cronulla. Picture: Phil Hillyard
“I wanted to secure my future, of course, but also all I will worry about is footy.

“As a footballer, everyone will tell you how big that is, as far as stability in everything you do goes. It’s not a two-year deal and then, within 18 months of that deal, you’re worrying about trying to get another deal done.

“All that is out of my way now. And so, in return, I want to and I will invest in both myself and this club.

“I want to bring some leadership and some experience to the younger guys coming through.

“Look at this roster, it’s so strong and to be here for the next four years and to think what we could achieve if we commit to each other, that’s exciting.’’

The 27-year-old, whose ankle-tap on England’s Kallum Watkins stopped a possible score-levelling converted try in the final, is not worried about whether he becomes Jack Bird’s replacement at centre or fullback.

“I’ve got no idea and, to be honest, I’m not even worried,’’ Dugan said.

66168e38ab6dc3e59ff0262a515fee4f

Josh Dugan helped Australia taste World Cup glory.
“I felt like at the Dragons I was the best fit for fullback, but this is a new team.

“It’s a new structure here and ultimately it’s the coach’s decision on what he feels is best for the team.

“At the end of this season, I ended up playing centre because that was best for the team at the Dragons. And I feel like I’m that sort of player and person that I’ll put the team first and I’ll be happy to play anywhere.

“I got the chance to represent my country again and I’m thankful to Mal (Meninga) for showing some faith in me and I don’t feel like I let anyone down. You never know when you’ve played your last game, so I definitely wanted to take advantage of every moment I got and that’s what I’ll be doing at the Sharks.’’

Corey Robinson

Juniors
The thing that has got me annoyed is, we made jack bird an NRL player he wasn’t going to play nrl under the dragons so we snared him gave him a go and he won a Comp in his second year, now he is ripping into us, bravo jack, hope he has fun failing under Bennett and getting booed up there because he’s a blue

Frenzy.

Immortal
Bird didn’t really rip in.
I’d be pissed if I needed surgery as well

I’d be more concerned for the shitty scan. Maybe sharks need a new radiology provider.

If it was a shitty scan.

He’s seen 2 surgeons, a third could of agreed with the first and so on and so on.

It’s a beat up of the highest order.

As an RA sufferer he should be avoiding surgery at all costs as his risk of post traumatic arthritis must be higher.

He’s a phuqing knob

coolumsharkie

Referee
Birds a great footballer, to me he's only being honest about his stagnation. I reckon if he digs in up there he could be as good a Dugan one day.

:p

snout

First Grade
That story is written by a first class tosser called Peter Badel who is well known for taking 2 and 2 and coming up with 7.

Read bird's direct quotes and get rid of the biased slant badel puts on it and differnt story. He takes the blame. Says he had a bad year. Form wasnt good
Says he doesnt want to bag the sharks. Their style didnt suit his game. Polite way of saying he wanted more ball.
Says they didnt do a dye scan. He doesnt rip in - he just stated a fact. Sharks probably could've done more but he was leaving.

That story is slanted purely to put shit on us. When Birdy reads it be wouldnt be happy with the way its flavoured ld imagine.

I like the Bird. Copped a lot of slack. But played thru a crippling injury to win our first premiership. Loved what he did in our jumper.

Weaponhead

Coach
Bird is immature, naive and self-centred ie just like most 22 year olds.

He may turn into a consistently good player but has a long way to go. Along with Maloney he was very ordinary this season. The club has moved on by upgrading and so should we.

BTW Badel is an imbo who throws raw meat to baying red neck fools learning banjo. f**k him.

Madsharkie

First Grade
Meh, it’s a nothing story, designed to keep the donkey fans reading that shitty paper. Dugan is def an upgrade on young Jack though... and my preference is that he proves that while in the centres.

Vin Fizz

Bench
Meh, it’s a nothing story, designed to keep the donkey fans reading that shitty paper. Dugan is def an upgrade on young Jack though... and my preference is that he proves that while in the centres.
Tend to agree Mad. I started reading it thinking he had let fly on his old club. It didn't read that way to me. In fact I think he said he didn't want to bag us and we did what we had to do. He has my respect as a premiership winner (particularly how he played through injury) so good luck to him.

Latest posts