What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bird in Newcastle for lunch with Browny

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
He was basically in charge of a NSW cup team in his first year and there are still elements of this team that are NSW standard now. It also doesn't help when our first choice players in key positions are dropping like flies or being under investigation for performance enhancing drugs.

Sorry but not even Craig Bellamy would have done much better than this with the current roster.

I'll judge Brown's coaching ability when he's got a half decent roster playing for him. Until then I'll continue to give him some leeway.

Alex28

Coach
Pretty much why I didn't bother coming here this week - the usual suspects bitching and whinging and calling on for the demise of the club.

Will they actually be happy if the club does spend the next decade struggling near the bottom of the ladder? Being able to tell everybody how they told them all so?

Why bother even "supporting" the club? (And even that is a pretty loose term)

Pedge1971

First Grade
Just venting.....I agree with the fellas saying stick strong. Brown articulated a plan day one. He has stuck strong and not veered one iota from that plan since he arrived.

The Ponga signing was inspired thinking and he nailed it. If he was still in the market I have no doubt we would have missed him but no one give Brown and Mooney credit for that foresight. Matt Scotts injury put to bed any chance we would sign him.

I was fully on board with getting Bird but we missed. Two things to note here:

- when the Broncos weighed in and he asked if we would up the offer Brown said no and said he thought the offer was a fair reflection of where the Knights were. Consistent with the day 1 mantra of not getting caught in a bidding war.

- I dont think it mattered what we offered Bird he was never coming here so do we reallly want him anymore?

Im the last 2.5 years my biggest frustration was not that the team was losing but that we had kids out of their depth and senior players not putting in. The 2017 version is putting in and at times playing good footy.

We all talk like 5 years is a magic number. Well we are less than year 1.5 under Brown and I am prepared to give him a wide berth this year and a mid table/near miss of top 8 next. I already see improvement and I do not think it will regress like last year.

Anyway dig this out in 4 months of I am completely wrong!

Knight76

Juniors
No point upping the offer against the Broncs. They have special cap abilities.

Though I'm not sure where it was reported Bird came back to us and asked us to up the offer? I missed that one.

Pedge1971

First Grade
No point upping the offer against the Broncs. They have special cap abilities.

Though I'm not sure where it was reported Bird came back to us and asked us to up the offer? I missed that one.

Not Bird. A direct question from the media and a direct quote. Yesterday I think.

perverse

Referee
Pretty much why I didn't bother coming here this week - the usual suspects bitching and whinging and calling on for the demise of the club.

Will they actually be happy if the club does spend the next decade struggling near the bottom of the ladder? Being able to tell everybody how they told them all so?

Why bother even "supporting" the club? (And even that is a pretty loose term)
Nah, we'll be miserable as f**k, as per usual.

Do you prefer our players to have a laugh with the opposition after a loss, or do you prefer them to take it hard? I assure you, most of the miserable merkins like myself want little more than to not have to be miserable merkins about our footy team.

Alex28

Coach
Nah, we'll be miserable as f**k, as per usual.

Do you prefer our players to have a laugh with the opposition after a loss, or do you prefer them to take it hard? I assure you, most of the miserable merkins like myself want little more than to not have to be miserable merkins about our footy team.
Mate - I've been here long enough for you to know that this hurts me. I'm no Facebook Knights fan that is upbeat to a fault.

It just gets tiresome where literally every post put up by a few here is always negative. Even when we won a game it was still bagging the team. What's the point of being here when you can't even celebrate the good that happens?

It is going to take a while to get ourselves out of the hole we are in. But if we are going to declare the club dead every time we miss out on signing a player we are going to be whinging and moaning for a long time.

I'm dirty that the Broncos got Bird as well. I'm confused that when they went looking for a half they spent their money on a lock. Heck - perhaps Wayne is looking for a hat trick in f**king up clubs. But we need to give the club credit that they gave it a red hot go, and they have moved quickly on to the next option.

I don't think Foran is as impossible as everyone thinks. Brother lives on the Central Coast, close enough to his ex and kids. Other suitors are dropping away. It might just happen - and he is a genuine half and not a wannabe.

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
Read an article saying bird will play lock there and the broncos are still cashed up to buy a halfback. So if any decent half becomes available that we want they will trump us again.

You dodged a bullet if the rumours about "special" treatment at our club are to be believed.

Anyone would think we are talking about Cameron Smith type player

Pedge1971

First Grade
Read an article saying bird will play lock there and the broncos are still cashed up to buy a halfback. So if any decent half becomes available that we want they will trump us again.

They won't get Foran. His priority is to be near his kids in Sydney. Bulldogs would be the favourites on that count.

perverse

Referee
Mate - I've been here long enough for you to know that this hurts me. I'm no Facebook Knights fan that is upbeat to a fault.

It just gets tiresome where literally every post put up by a few here is always negative. Even when we won a game it was still bagging the team. What's the point of being here when you can't even celebrate the good that happens?

It is going to take a while to get ourselves out of the hole we are in. But if we are going to declare the club dead every time we miss out on signing a player we are going to be whinging and moaning for a long time.

I'm dirty that the Broncos got Bird as well. I'm confused that when they went looking for a half they spent their money on a lock. Heck - perhaps Wayne is looking for a hat trick in f**king up clubs. But we need to give the club credit that they gave it a red hot go, and they have moved quickly on to the next option.

I don't think Foran is as impossible as everyone thinks. Brother lives on the Central Coast, close enough to his ex and kids. Other suitors are dropping away. It might just happen - and he is a genuine half and not a wannabe.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to question your own support of the Knights, just making a point on our bitterness - it was meant to be rhetorical. We've got a lot of reasons to be bitter, and more seem to come up every other week. The last good news we had was Ponga. Since then we keep losing, have Mullo on the juice and miss out on God knows how many recruitment targets.

I'm not really prepared to apologise for being salty after being the clowns of the NRL for so long - and the hits keep coming. I think plenty of good, worthwhile discussion is still had. I think the bitter ones amongst us are reacting to fear as much as anything, the fear that we might even be right that the club can't and won't save itself.

Kudos to those who can remain positive while everyone shits on our face. Takes an emotional maturity beyond me, that's for sure. That or they just don't care enough - which I feel is the vast majority.

We're actually doing worse this year than we did last year, by the way. We had a draw and a win by this time last year - and while our F/A is slightly better, it's not a massive gap. Why should we be anything but disgruntled? I expect more than that after a year of recruitment, experience and first grade training. I don't think that's greedy. How many more tight losses can the squad take before the enthusiasm wanes?

Last edited:

I completely agree with your thoughts entirely, constructive criticism is what i want to talk about,i must admit we all vent out from time to time.and hodko does deserve the criticism. But in saying that i have open my eyes up a bit about discussing our short comings and preverse and spot on have made some fair calls and some solutions.

Alex28

Coach
Sorry, I wasn't trying to question your own support of the Knights, just making a point on our bitterness - it was meant to be rhetorical. We've got a lot of reasons to be bitter, and more seem to come up every other week. The last good news we had was Ponga. Since then we keep losing, have Mullo on the juice and miss out on God knows how many recruitment targets.

I'm not really prepared to apologise for being salty after being the clowns of the NRL for so long - and the hits keep coming. I think plenty of good, worthwhile discussion is still had. I think the bitter ones amongst us are reacting to fear as much as anything, the fear that we might even be right that the club can't and won't save itself.

Kudos to those who can remain positive while everyone shits on our face. Takes an emotional maturity beyond me, that's for sure. That or they just don't care enough - which I feel is the vast majority.

We're actually doing worse this year than we did last year, by the way. We had a draw and a win by this time last year - and while our F/A is slightly better, it's not a massive gap. Why should we be anything but disgruntled? I expect more than that after a year of recruitment, experience and first grade training. I don't think that's greedy. How many more tight losses can the squad take before the enthusiasm wanes?
There is no way we are a worse team than last year, no matter what the results are saying. Last years team would have lost tonight by 40.

perverse

Referee
There is no way we are a worse team than last year, no matter what the results are saying. Last years team would have lost tonight by 40.
Last years team in round 26 would have maybe, yeah. We hadn't had many more drubbings than we've had this year at this stage, though. We appeared competitive.

We probably have made a couple of very small steps forward, mainly through Buhrer and Barnett. I'm not sure we've made any sort of monumental progress, though.

Latest posts