What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Bombers Bid

This bid is so stupid, why would they want to base themselves in north Brisbane? The Broncos are allready in North Brisbane, the whole idea of team haveing a same name as team that is allready there does not make any sense to me.

applesauce

Bench
What a dumb move. Davies Park, West End would of been perfect. Opposite Suncorp on the other bank of the river. Not far from the Bronx who are based North side of the river (just near Suncorp).

The marketing on North v South of Brisbane would of been great for a derby. Plus with all the development at west end the the proposed redevelopment of the Parlamat factories the whole area would be buzzing for them to have a real presence in Brisbane amongst fans, sponsors and what will be a continuation of the CBD over the next 15-30years.

applesauce

Bench
What would be a more interesting stat is how many of that 65% already follow another NRL club. I would be willing to suggest that a high percentage, if not all of them, currently support another NRL club.

The point I get out of it is, fans who don't get to see their club currently play at Suncorp in a season will get to with a 2nd BNE team with every team being able to play in Brisbane every year.

I could be wrong but the first time the Roosters played at Suncorp for a 2year period was against the Titans in a Prelim Final, (it was either that or agaisnt the Broncos on a Monday night).

Either way they had a 2yr absence from Brisbane essentially locking out fans of the game from seeing their team at least once a season in the city they live.

smithie

Juniors
The point I get out of it is, fans who don't get to see their club currently play at Suncorp in a season will get to with a 2nd BNE team with every team being able to play in Brisbane every year.

I could be wrong but the first time the Roosters played at Suncorp for a 2year period was against the Titans in a Prelim Final, (it was either that or agaisnt the Broncos on a Monday night).

Either way they had a 2yr absence from Brisbane essentially locking out fans of the game from seeing their team at least once a season in the city they live.

It was actually a 5 year gap. We Brisbane-based Roosters fans just got lucky in 2010. There was the Round 20 Monday night game and the Preliminary Final against the Titans. Before that the previous Roosters game at Suncorp was Round 26, 2005. It was Luke Ricketson's final match.

The Roosters have only played four games at Suncorp since the redevelopment: 2003, 2005, 2010, and 2010(Prem. Final).

I talked to the NRL last week and was told the Commission are aware of the situation and the Roosters will be playing in Brisbane next season.

This is just another reason for a second Brisbane team playing at Suncorp. Every NRL club should be able to play at the best stadium in the country every year.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think the scenario is the same for all bid areas, 90% of the first time members will be historic fans of other NRL clubs. Some will go on to be dedicated members of the new bid as a second choice because they live away form their historic team. Over time they may switch to the new bid as their first choice or at the least their kids will. In this respect all bids are the same. The question then becomes where does the NRL want to expand to and why? Whewre has most potential both to grow the game, add value to the game, increase supporters, viewers, jnrs, add value to sponsors etc etc.

All bids have a validity, it's a tough choice for the ARLC to decide where long term adds the most. At the moment it is a mute point as they seem happy to shirk a decision for some years to come.

Some would say spending an extra $5mill of RL money on Melbourne is a waste and yet if you took away the Melbourne viewing figures from the GF what would the total look like against AFL?

Perth Red

Post Whore
From Facebook:

Don't be discouraged Brisbane Bombers fans!

We will be in the race in 2014 and have plenty to do in the interim to ensure we're in the best possible position for the expansion process.

A media release will be issued shortly and we'll be launching a football and t-shirt for the 2013 Season (and countdown for the Expansion Race).

Keep on supporting our great game and Brisbane won't be a one horse town for much longer!

also

We did meet with the Western Corridor Bid and had a good chat, but our business plans and models are completely different. Without going into too much detail, we were very keen to have a chat to work together, but it unfortunately isn't going to happen.

One of the key issues for us is to EXPAND the game and pick-up new fans in Brisbane, grow the game into the Sunshine Coast corridor to Noosa (1,000,000 people north of Brisbane by 2027) and not impact the Broncos territory where up to 65% of their membership base comes from west of Red Hill through to Walters and Langer territory in Ipswich - it's Broncos heartland and we need to grow, not divide.

Diesel

Referee
How many people are there that would support the Bombers bid? From what I'm reading and hearing around Brisbane is not many. This bid just seems plastic, what they should've done is aligned themselves with an old BRL team or formed a BRL United with a few old clubs not in the Q-Cup anymore such as the Diehards, Brothers, (soon to be) Wests Panthers.

People will go to watch the footy however the way this bid is going with little grassroots support unlike some of the other bids (CQ, WC, WA) they could end up like a RL version of the GWS Giants, obviously not as bad, however I'm just not hearing the support for this bid that you'd expect.

applesauce

Bench
There is a huge market for a traditional RL team in Brisbane as there are many fans who hate the Broncos because of their role in the destruction of the BRL, SuperLeague and affiliation with NEWS.

I supported this bid early on when it was an idea of a second Brisbane team but this is not an ALTERNATIVE to the Broncos but simply a copy and as a result does not reach out to a different market.

You are right an affiliation with an established team would be a better alternative.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There is no sustainable Brsibane bid yet im. Bombers are a Broncos clone, Ipswich don;t seem to have much of a infrastructure/strategy or financial backing. Not sure if we need a Q'land cup team to step up to the plate or the Bombers need to get some community credibility.

ash the bash

Juniors
There are quite a few strong leagues clubs in Brisbane too, Tigers, Wynnum, Redcliffe is massive too. A combination of old BRL clubs that support a Brisbane Brothers or a Brisbane Diehards. Traditional queensland rl names.

Diesel

Referee
I agree with your comments that Ipswich is missing infrastructure, and the Bombers are the Broncos clone. As Applesauce said there is a lot of support for the old BRL after the News/Broncos affiliation. As most people think/know it'll be the Pirates as team 17 and it'd be a shame if the Bombers in this form got the nod over a financially stable and backed WC with proper infrastructure or the CC Bears who should've never been turfed in the first place

Latest posts