What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane in box seat

Mr. Sharky

Juniors
Brisbane 2, Perth in.

Wests Tigers out, NZ2 in.

Get Adelaide going. Move a Sydney team to CC.

There's ya 10 year expansion plan.

PNG would be up there too. They wouldn't care if they came first or last.

I agree with that.

Manly are now prime contenders for relocation with grave doubts about their future at Brookvale.

Relocate Manly to Brisbane, chop the Tigers. Wellington in and bring back the Rams and Reds (albeit under the Pirates name) and we're sorted.

alien

Referee
i can't see manly relocating to brisbane. they would just move their home games to the sfs and gosford if they couldn't use brooky

insert.pause

First Grade
Why? they've got a much bigger stadium.
Qld is a Rugby League state, they deserve a Grand Final before the land of the Victorian.

Size of the stadium doesn't really matter, the NRL would be subsidised for lower gate revenue by the Government paying for the event. They can also get creative around pricing.

TheFrog

Coach
Qld is a Rugby League state, they deserve a Grand Final before the land of the Victorian.

Size of the stadium doesn't really matter, the NRL would be subsidised for lower gate revenue by the Government paying for the event. They can also get creative around pricing.

So if Queenslanders pay double they can get the GF.

You can def see the new Perth and Adelaide grounds as well as Suncorp and the MCG along with their respective govts having a shot at bidding for the NRL GF in the future. I have no problem with it TBH and I actually go to the GF every year. Really it'd be great for the code IMHO.

thorson1987

Coach
Why? they've got a much bigger stadium.

MCG is out of the question.

They have a deal with the AFL that no sport can use it for the weekend of their GF or the weekend after in case they need a replay after a drawn GF.

And Etihad only has a capacity just under 5000 above Suncorp. (Etihad - 56,347 Suncorp - 52500)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Like said capacity is irrelevant if state govts are willing to cough up millions more than nsw to host.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Like said capacity is irrelevant if state govts are willing to cough up millions more than nsw to host.

People bitch today about how expensive tickets are, the prices would go up astronomically at Suncorp.

And i dont understand why the ARLC would spend this money to subsidise more than a handful of seats; there would still be enough demand to fill the stadium and this subsidy would be cost that could be better spent elsewhere.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not necessarily. Let's say Qland govt stump up $3million more than nsw to host it. There's your missing 30k tickets sold.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nah make it Super Bowl Esk and move it around with cities having to pay through the nose and offer massive marketing of RL as well as amazing week lead up events to have the right to host it. No reason it needs to stay in Sydney since it stopped being the nswrl Gf. Basically gives the game massive profile and market boost in new areas free of charge.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Smith and Grant have enough money to squander...

The game needs some traditions.. And Sydney needs it to..,

Your beloved AFL that you are always comparing our game too never talks about moving their game ( hence why it's locked in at the MCG for the next gazillion years)

Perth Red

Post Whore
More fool them. I haven't heard one good argument for not moving it other than "it's always been here". That was fine when it was a Sydney comp but no reason at all as the game becomes more national to keep doing the same. In fact it continues to show the narrow mindedness of the game imo.

Band On The Run

Juniors
Ipswich is a much more sensible option than a Brisbane II

I've worked in Ipswich a bit with the jobs I had, Ipswich is pure league central (much moreso than Brisbane), plus more people in Ipswich I could imagine would change teams to the Ipswich side from their current team than people in Brisbane turncoating from the Broncos or their current NRL teams to the Bombers or another Brisbane II (I'd stick with the Broncos and most people would, best BNE II could achieve is "second team" status). Brisbane II/Bombers etc. would always be seen as a poor cousin to the Broncos (although the derbies would be cool).

Stadium wise they would just need to build a proper grandstand on North Ipswich reserve and a few more toilets, food stalls etc. location is perfect right next to Riverlink and a bridge across from the train station and Ipswich CBD. It doesn't need to be a five star stadium like Lang Park or Robina because it's Ipswich. Just function well enough to host top flight footy.

I've been to Penrith, Ipswich deserves an NRL side more than them IMO (nothing against Penrith, but more stating how amazed I am that they don't have their own team)

gallagher

Juniors
I'd be against moving it from sydney if it had always been played at the one venue. But it's moved venue a few times so i don't think it has a 'home' so to speak.

Diesel

Referee
I agree that Ipswich deserves a team however calling the team Ipswich would alienate many Brisbanites and surrounding areas like Logan, Redlands, Moreton areas. There was talk of the western corridor bid going with a Jagera?! (sp) name or they many need to go with a generic West Brisbane.

I realise west is very generic but a new airport opened in Toowoomba last year called Brisbane West and it's around 120km from Brisbane