What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Rugby League Trivia .....

mud n blood

Juniors
Here's a full quiz .....

Junior Grade ... 1 point each.
1. What year did a rugby league competition first appear in Qld ?
2. What year did the Brisbane Rugby League form ?
3. What year did Lang Park become the home of RL ?
4. What year did the Bulimba Cup begin ?
5. What year saw the most clubs playing in the Brisbane comp ?

Colts Grade ... 2 points each
1. Who were the last 2 premiership captain/coaches in Brisbane ?
2. Who holds the record for most points in a 'full' season by an individual ?
3. Who was the player that died in hospital after breaking his neck in a match ?
4. Who was the first player to represent Qld, NSW and Australia - and in one year ?
5. 9 times a player has scored 3 tries in a grand final. One of those efforts though, by Graham Strutton, is different. Why ?

A Grade ... 4 points each
1. Who are the two players who's nickname was originally 'Gator' ?
2. What is the record combined tally of points scored in a first grade match ?
3. Who hit Wally in the tackle that caused him to swallow his tongue ?
4. What is the record number of send-offs in one match ?
5. Who was the first ever Brisbane club to defeat a Sydney club in formal competition ?

Qld Cup ... 6 points each
1. Who holds the record for most tries in a 1st grade premiership match & how many?
2. What were the former club(s) names of Norths, Souths, Easts, Wynnum, Wests, and Brothers ?
3. Give the name of the last seven (Brisbane/Qld) premiership cups played for ?
4. What is Easts the only club to have done in a match ?
5. What have Wests done on four occasions, that no other club has ever done ?

Representative ... 10 points each
1. What countries have only toured here (fully) on one occasion ?
2. How many "Wynnum" clubs have played in the premiership ?
3. Name all the grounds used to host 1st grade BRL premiership matches (19) ?
4. Why did George Lovejoy have to call a Brisbane-Ipswich Bulimba Cup match from the roof of a house adjoining Ipswich Reserve ?
5. In what years did Lang Park gain the Frank Burke stand, McAuliffe stand, Suncorp stand, scoreboard & clock ?

see how ya's go ..... :lol:

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Right, you've sucked me in. I'll put down the ones I reckon I know and others can fill the gaps or correct me.

Junior Grade
1 1909
2 1922
3 1958
4 1925
5 1994 and 1995 with 12 (Qld Cup had 16 in 1998) ???

Colts Grade
1 Wally Lewis (1986) and Ross Strudwick (1979)
2 Norm Pope ???
3 ???
4 Rod Morris (1980)
5 He was on the losing team :D :D - 1995 Easts lost to Wynnum

A Grade
1 Wally Fullarton-Smith and Wally Lewis ???
2 ???
3 ???
4 5 ???
5 Brothers defeated Penrith in the 1976 Amco Cup

Qld Cup
1 Steven Bell 6 ???
2 Past Grammars, Carltons, Coorparoo, Wynnum-Manly, ????? and Christian Brothers ???
3 Queensland Cup, Bundy Gold Cup, XXXX Cup, Winfield Cup, Kirk's Cup, ???, ???
4 I hate to think
5 And would they want to ?

Representative
1 South Africa, United States ( no Test played) and PNG
2 3 - Wynnum Union, Wynnum-Manly and Wynnum Seagulls
3 ANZ Stadium, Ballymore, Bishop Park, Briggs Road, Corbett Park, Crosby Park, Dolphin Oval, Davies Park, Exhibition Grounds, Gabba, Hamilton Oval, Kougari Oval, Kitchener Park, Kianawah Road, Langlands Park, Lang Park, Meakin Park, North Ipswich Reserve, Neumann Oval, Oxenham Park, Purtell Park, Bray Park, Redcliffe Showgrounds, Southport - Mud, I think that's 24 !!!
4 He was barred by the Ipswich authorities after comments he made at a previous match
5 Guesses - Frank Burke 1961, McAuliffe 1975, Suncorp 1994, Not sure which scoreboard and clock you mean - I would have put the original around 1962

Sgt Schultz

Juniors
Got me as well I'll have a dig

Junior Grade ... 1 point each.
1. What year did a rugby league competition first appear in Qld ?
2. What year did the Brisbane Rugby League form ?
3. What year did Lang Park become the home of RL ?
4. What year did the Bulimba Cup begin ?
5. What year saw the most clubs playing in the Brisbane comp ?
Colts Grade ... 2 points each
1. Who were the last 2 premiership captain/coaches in Brisbane ?
I take you mean premiership winning c/c Ross Strudwick, Wally Lewis
2. Who holds the record for most points in a 'full' season by an individual ?
What does full season mean I know Bunny Pearce scored 281 points in the 1978 season which was a BRL club record for a season.
3. Who was the player that died in hospital after breaking his neck in a match ?

4. Who was the first player to represent Qld, NSW and Australia - and in one year ?
Kerry Boustead
5. 9 times a player has scored 3 tries in a grand final. One of those efforts though, by Graham Strutton, is different. Why ?
He was on a losing side
A Grade ... 4 points each
1. Who are the two players who's nickname was originally 'Gator' ?
Wally Fullerton-Smith, Wally Lewis
2. What is the record combined tally of points scored in a first grade match ?

3. Who hit Wally in the tackle that caused him to swallow his tongue ?
Mark Graham
4. What is the record number of send-offs in one match ?
5 Redcliffe vs Wests 1976 Woolies Semi Final, Bob Jones, John Barber, Steve Bullow and Tony Obst all got marching orders for Redcliffe and Rod Bradshaw from Wests. Thanks Bernie.
5. Who was the first ever Brisbane club to defeat a Sydney club in formal competition ?
Brothers
Qld Cup ... 6 points each
1. Who holds the record for most tries in a 1st grade premiership match & how many?

2. What were the former club(s) names of Norths, Souths, Easts, Wynnum, Wests, and Brothers ?
Norths Grammars
Souths Carltons
Easts Cooparoo
Wynnum
Wests Toowong and North Brisbane joined to form Wests
Brothers Christian Brothers
3. Give the name of the last seven (Brisbane/Qld) premiership cups played for ?
Queensland Cup, Bundy Gold Cup, Channel 9 Qld Cup, XXXX Cup, Winfield Cup now it's getting tough
4. What is Easts the only club to have done in a match ?
Walk Off
5. What have Wests done on four occasions, that no other club has ever done ?

Representative ... 10 points each
1. What countries have only toured here (fully) on one occasion ?

2. How many "Wynnum" clubs have played in the premiership ?
Can only go off XXXX caps answer
3. Name all the grounds used to host 1st grade BRL premiership matches (19) ? Oxenham Park, Bishop Park, Dolphin Oval, Redcliffe Showgrounds, Lang Park, North Ipswich Reserve, Briggs Road, ANZ Stadium, Ballymore, Bishop Park, Corbett Park, Crosby Park, Davies Park, Exhibition Grounds, Gabba, Hamilton Oval, Kougari Oval, Kitchener Park, Kianawah Road, Langlands Park, Lang Park, Meakin Park, Neumann Oval, Purtell Park, Bray Park, The Oval at Caboolture not sure of it's name

4. Why did George Lovejoy have to call a Brisbane-Ipswich Bulimba Cup match from the roof of a house adjoining Ipswich Reserve ?
He was banned from the ground
5. In what years did Lang Park gain the Frank Burke stand, McAuliffe stand, Suncorp stand, scoreboard & clock ?
FB 1962, MS 1975, SS 1994, Clock No idea

Big Tommy

Juniors
Just one more question missed by XXXX Cap and Sarge. (Qld Cup category, question 2) - Brothers former name was Merthyrs

Great work on the others though guys.

mud n blood

Juniors
Doh ! You are correct XXXX .... the question was supposed to exclude Lang Park, Gabba, Davies Park, Oxenham park - all as headquarters, and exclude ANZ as a sh!t stadium, but I guess I farct up the joke ..... :roll:

Anyone else before I break the bad news on wrong answers .... :lol:

Sgt Schultz

Juniors
Did Brothers ever go by the name Christian Brothers

I'm not sure what year the McAuliffe stand opened but I know it was comissioned at the end of the 71 season after Easts and Valleys drew a crowd of 40,000.

How did we do Mud

oxenham

Juniors
Good stuff fellas.
Mud which clock......The Coca Cola Clock or the electronic one at the opposite end.
Speaking of Mark Graham and Wally Lewis .......anyone see the blue at Newman (a trial match).Wally ran in and came straight back out(mind you he was only a kid at the time).

russ13

First Grade
In what year did the Queensland schoolboys team first play NSW schoolboys at Lang Park?

oxenham

Juniors
The info I have has Brothers known as Christian Brothers until 1929 and Past Brothers since.
I also have Easts being formed from Wynum(joined 31 ex union)and Coorparoo in 33.........sorry xxxx :)
Maybe all you Wynum blokes have been following the wrong team all these years :D

mud n blood

Juniors
now thats a good question russ ? I'm not really up to speed on schoolboys stuff. But would I be right in commenting this could be trick question ? :?

And the answer to the mcAuliffe stand question, is grand final day 1975 (2/9/75) was the official opening.

And yes - I meant 'ye olde clocke' that used to sit proudly on the cocacola scoreboard and now resides at Purtell ....

russ13

First Grade
I know they played Lang Park in 1960. Not sure where the games were played in the previous years. I think the schooloy competition only started in the mid 1950s.

As I recall the schoolboy competition was in weight divisions 6 stone, 7-7 & there may have been a 9 stone division then.

MnB
Could you place on here a photo of Recliffes initial jersey. I believe it was a red jersey with a solid V. The red was more of a maroon colour rather than the brighter red of today.

I'll have a stab...

Junior Grade
1. 1909
2. 1922
3. 1954
4. 1925
5. 1994

Colts Grade
1. Wally (1986) & Struddy (1979)
2. Ian Pearce
3. Mark Fyfe ??
4. Dally Messenger
5. Was on a losing side

A Grade
1. Wally Lewis & Wally Fullerton-Smith
2. I'll have a guess and say 102 (Valleys 89 d W-Manly 13 in 1953)
3. Mark Graham
5. Brothers in 1976

Qld Cup
1. 8- Don Alroe (Brothers)
2. Past Grammars (Norfs), Carltons (Souths), Coorparoo (Easts), Wynnum-Manly (Wynnum), Wests (??) & Brothers (Christian Brothers ??)
3. Qld Cup, Bundy Gold Cup, Channel 9 Cup, XXXX Cup, Winfield Cup, Kirks Cup, ???
4. Score a total of 1 point in a match

Representative
1. American Allstars, South Africa
2. 3
3. Redcliffe Showgrounds, Dolphin Oval, Lang Park, 'Gabba, Purtell Park, Bishop Park, Kougari Oval, Davies Park, Langlands Park, Meakin Park, Neumann Oval, Crosby Park, Corbett Park, Oxenham Park, Briggs Road, North Ipswich Reserve, ANZ Stadium, Bray Park, Kianawah Road, Kitchener Park, Ekka Grounds, Apex Park (Caboolture)
4. Dispute with the IRL saw him banned from the ground
5. Frank Burke Stand (1961), McAuliffe Stand (1975), Suncorp Stand (1994) & Scoreboard & Clock (no idea)

mud n blood

Juniors
Not bad - Matty 70 , XXXX 53 and Sarge 34

The questions still not answered ....

- Still missing one of the premiership cups.
- What Wests have done on four occasions that noone else has.
- The year Lang Park gained the old scoreboard & clock.

Ones you got.
Junior - 1909 , 1922 , 1958 , 1925* , 1994/95
*The Bulimba Cup only got its name after the 1925 intercity cup comp had begun. The intercity cup had started in 1921.

Colts - Wally & Struddy , Norm Pope 330 (incl rep games) , Mark Fyfe (Easts) vs Brothers , Dally Messenger 1908 , A losing side

A Grade - The two Wally's , 102* , Mark Graham (Norfs) , 5 (as Sarge mentioned .... Go Bernie - great ref!) , Brothers def Penrith 19-8 at Lang Park (Chips was man-of-the-match)
*Valleys def Wynnum-Manly 89-13 at Davies Park in 1953. Norm Pope scored a try and kicked 19/21 goals, including a 55-yard field goal !!!

Qld Cup - Don Alroe (Brothers) put on 8 against Souths in 1954, Norfs(Past Grammars) Souths(Carltons) Easts(Coorparoo & Wynnum) Wests(North Brisbane & Toowong) Brothers(Merthyrs)*, Qld Cup Ch.9Qld Bundy Gold XXXX Winfield Kirks ? , Easts scored 1 point against Wests in the 1976 grand final (16-1 .... greatest match ever!), ?

Rep - Sooth Ifrica & Yanks, 3 (Wynnum, Wynnum RU, Wynnum Seagulls nee W/M), XXXX is right, Lovejoy was accused incorrectly of calling an aboriginal Ipswich player a derogatory name even tho he was actually friends with the player in question, Burke Stand '61 McAuliffe Stand '75 Suncorp Stand '94 ? ?

Doing well, though .....

akdrob

Juniors
Here is one for you. What position was Wally selected as for his "first" senior rep game for Qld.

gullsfan

Juniors
Given the header topic I'll assume your talking league. Take a wild stab and say lock. Did he go to league straight after finishing school?

Latest posts