What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Prop Tevita Pangai Turns Down NSW for Tonga

Matterhorn

Juniors
I hope he stays with Tonga & would it would be worse if he commits to aus now & gets overlooked, then tonga picks him anyway

For the test to have credibility all players should commit to either aus or tonga before teams picked

RedVee

First Grade
Hopefully someone from both camps will have a chat with him before naming the teams.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Pangai will stick with Tonga. He seems very devoted to Tonga and I can't see him playing against them.

King hit

Coach
Well Meninga cherry picked Semi to play for Australia so I can see him trying to get Pangai.

More players turning down the kiwis Fonua-Blake who was part of the kiwi squad at last years world Cup has now put he's hand up for Tonga... Tonga are already stacked in the forwards so they're gonna be even more dangerous... Is this the end for the kiwis?

Is this the end? You seriously need a smack in the head.

Well Meninga cherry picked Semi to play for Australia so I can see him trying to get Pangai.

He will, no doubt. Mal acts like he wants to progress international league since he's taken over as Roos coach, but he doesn't. He's always been out for himself, and the success of the rep sides he's coached to the detriment of international RL. He was trying to get Taumalolo for QLD, and got Papalii after a 2 year courting campaign. I loved Mal as a Raider, but he's a cancer on the international game.

It's so typical that the Roos don't want to play us without Tongans in their side, after we've lost our Tongans. Cowards.

King hit

Coach
That's what I find so hypocritical about him. Quite a number of times I've heard Meninga go on about what a passionate advocate he is for international footy and growing the game yet he just goes ahead with things like this

RedVee

First Grade
He will, no doubt. Mal acts like he wants to progress international league since he's taken over as Roos coach, but he doesn't. He's always been out for himself, and the success of the rep sides he's coached to the detriment of international RL. He was trying to get Taumalolo for QLD, and got Papalii after a 2 year courting campaign. I loved Mal as a Raider, but he's a cancer on the international game.

It's so typical that the Roos don't want to play us without Tongans in their side, after we've lost our Tongans. Cowards.
FFS... you can’t say that. Seriously. :rolleyes::(

Yep, Taumalolo, Fusitua and maybe Taukeiaho are the only three we really miss.

Agreed. And now we've got some good young outside backs like Joseph Manu & Reimis Smith coming through to join the likes of Marsters and Isaako who are already in the side. We still have RTS n Rapana who are world class too, as well as guys like Whare, DWZ & Hiku. In the halves Johnson's in good form, and we have Jahrome Hughes who may nab the 5/8 spot, or Nikorima who's also discovered some good form.

We'll always be able to cover any losses in the pack. Last year was tough cos those losses were sudden and it hurt the overall morale of the squad. We'll be able to cover for no Taumalolo n co better this year.

Plus we have a proper coach now. At the end of the day, Tonga still has Hingano and Lolohea in the halves. I can't wait to play them again.

Matua

Bench
Agreed. And now we've got some good young outside backs like Joseph Manu & Reimis Smith coming through to join the likes of Marsters and Isaako who are already in the side. We still have RTS n Rapana who are world class too, as well as guys like Whare, DWZ & Hiku. In the halves Johnson's in good form, and we have Jahrome Hughes who may nab the 5/8 spot, or Nikorima who's also discovered some good form.

We'll always be able to cover any losses in the pack. Last year was tough cos those losses were sudden and it hurt the overall morale of the squad. We'll be able to cover for no Taumalolo n co better this year.

Plus we have a proper coach now. At the end of the day, Tonga still has Hingano and Lolohea in the halves. I can't wait to play them again.
It's unquestionable that Taumalolo is a big loss, but it was probably bigger last year as we'd likely have a game plan built around him and he pulled out so early. Agree though that we can cover for Fusitua, I just think he's been in such good form lately but it is great to Marsters and Isaako come through.

If our NZ-Samoans decide to defect on mass then we're in a little bit of tutae.

I fully expect the Kangaroos to pump the Tongans, and I think if we'd had a shot at them this year we'd win it easy. I'm not sure Tonga can ride the high they're on too long, and once their depth is cut into a bit they'll be in trouble.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
That's what I find so hypocritical about him. Quite a number of times I've heard Meninga go on about what a passionate advocate he is for international footy and growing the game yet he just goes ahead with things like this

Australia shoudnt have to do things for the good of the game. Australia are righfully looking after themselves. I would rather Pangai play for Tonga aswell but he was born and grew up in Australia, they have every right to pick him.

The All Blacks would never not pick a player to strengthen another country to grow the international game. Australia and there fans can grow the international game by being more passionate about there own country instead of looking after others

roughyedspud

Coach
Just read on report that he turned down nsw this season to remain eligible for Tonga....

Who the f**k tells these players the laws??

He can play for NSW & TONGA FFS!!

roughyedspud

Coach
If people are struggling to read what I wrote....where it says "on report" I actually wrote "on....." and then wrote a publication I saw it on....but the LU bots changed it to "report" lol

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Australia also didn't have to pick Semi Radradra, a player who's not even eligible for Origin so Laurie couldn't pick him.....but they did.

100% they didnt have to. They were only looking after there best intrests which they should be doing. Same situation with a number of All Blacks wingers.

The Wallabies are guility of this aswell. I remeber them picking Nagiyarovo after he had been picked in Fiji WC squad. Only to play him against in a warm up game then leave him out of the squad. During the Radradra situation, the Wallabies were waiting for Speight to qualify on residency rules.

I just personally disagree that a country should be expected to do things in other countries intrests over there own

hutch

First Grade
Just read on report that he turned down nsw this season to remain eligible for Tonga....

Origin 2 and Tonga test were on the same weekend and nsw said they wouldn’t pick players who weren’t available for all 3 games so no, he couldn’t play for both. Same with Fifita.

Pommy

Coach

You can’t play for two rep teams on the same weekend, the laws don’t come in to it.

deluded pom?

Coach
Australia shoudnt have to do things for the good of the game. Australia are righfully looking after themselves. I would rather Pangai play for Tonga aswell but he was born and grew up in Australia, they have every right to pick him.

The All Blacks would never not pick a player to strengthen another country to grow the international game. Australia and there fans can grow the international game by being more passionate about there own country instead of looking after others
The All Blacks don’t have to not select players to grow the international game. RU got it’s priorities right decades ago. If I was the Aussie coach and an Australian born and raised player declared his allegiance to another nation I wouldn’t waste my energy trying to persuade him to change his mind. I’d never select him in any squad I pick. He’s made his bed.