What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulldog Ben Roberts caught Drink Driving in an unregistered car

Hurriflatch

Referee
legend said:
BTW, Roberts has just signed a contract with the Raiders. Should be announced by the end of the week.

Roberts and Carney in the halves sound like a perfect match

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Let's keep the subject matter within the reported media and please source any claims.

Police charge Bulldogs Williams, Roberts

June 17, 2007 - 8:12PM

The off-field reputation of NRL club the Bulldogs took another battering with New Zealand internationals Ben Roberts and superstar Sonny Bill Williams both caught up in police matters for illegal behaviour.

Halfback Roberts was charged Sunday with several traffic offences including driving under the influence while it was revealed Williams had been caught urinating in public last weekend when the Dogs were given time off for the bye.

Williams was busted by police relieving himself outside of a nightclub in Cronulla and was handed an infringement notice and fine worth $650.

It is his second public incident this season after an alleged dalliance with ironwoman Candice Falzon, known as the "Dunny Bill Williams incident", was caught on camera phone in a toilet cubicle at the Clovelly Hotel despite the player having a long term girlfriend.

His 21-year-old teammate Roberts, who had also been romantically linked to Falzon, continued the bad run of player behaviour Sunday morning when police pulled him over for a random breath test at 9.45am on Bellingara Road in Miranda, in Sydney's south.

Roberts blew 0.03 which is above the zero tolerance level for probationary licensed drivers.

He was taken to Miranda police station where he was charged with low-range prescribed concentration of alcohol, driving an unregistered vehicle, driving an uninsured vehicle, and not displaying his p-plates.

He will appear in Sutherland Local Court on July 12.

A Bulldogs spokesman confirmed Roberts had been caught by police and said "the club is still gathering all the information" before they would make an official statement.
Roberts called coach Steve Folkes immediately after the incident occurred to inform the club what had happened.

It is understood Roberts had been out the night before and thought he had slept it off before getting in the car, which belongs to a friend.

Bulldogs officials would not discuss what sort of penalty Roberts faces for his behaviour, but he could expect heavy ramifications from the club after he and Willie Tonga were this week dropped to premier league for breaking team curfew on a recent away trip to Auckland.

The pair arrived less than half an hour late from the team imposed 1am curfew after the Dogs win over New Zealand Warriors and coach Folkes punished them with demotion.

Despite the punishment, Roberts signed a new two-year deal to stay at the club this week.

"I'm very grateful for the opportunities that (Bulldogs coach) Steve Folkes has given me in my time here and I look forward to learning more from the coaches and the senior players," Roberts said at the time of signing.

"The spirit and unity that exists across the Bulldogs club makes it a great place to be a part of."

© 2007 AAP

SOURCE: http://news.leaguehq.com.au/bulldogs-behaving-badly-again/20074417-ixi.html

Ice777

Bench
ShineDog said:
So is there a culture problem with the Raiders or the Broncos...What crap:crazy:

Just as i suspected, an angry Dogs fan :lol:

Do the Bronco's and Raiders have off field player dramas year in year out going back several years now? Each club in the league has had their own player indiscretions which hardly makes for a culture problem, but IMO and it seems many others, the Dogs have many more of these indiscretions than every other club and i don't think even the staunchest Dogs supporter could be totally honest with themselves and deny that.

I even wrote my original post about the culture problem at the Dogs before i'd heard about Sonny Bill's pissing incident and that only reinforces my belief that there is a problem down there. You can tell yourself all you like that there isn't but that won't make it any less true. It's bury your head in the sand attitudes exactly like the one you possess that have allowed this sort of stuff to go on for as long as it has.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
FMD, it's not a culture problem at the Bulldogs. It's a problem with teenagers/younger adults 18-25. It's the individuals doing stupid things, the individuals who should be punished. The clubs, absolutely should reprimand the players, which they no doubt have in the past and will continue to do, but there's only so many times it can happen before you ask, why isn't the person themselves being held accountable for their actions instead of the media making it all about the club? While IMO it's minor, Sonny will and should be punished for PissGate, and Roberts should suffer some (albeit light IMO, given the circumstances) punishment also... from the club that is. If they think a drinking program is necessary then I'd support them in implementing it.

But to suggest it's a culture problem at the club when it's always the same 2-3 blokes is getting a bit over the top.

innsaneink

Referee
Dodger said:
FMD, it's not a culture problem at the Bulldogs. It's a problem with teenagers/younger adults 18-25. It's the individuals doing stupid things, the individuals who should be punished. The clubs, absolutely should reprimand the players, which they no doubt have in the past and will continue to do, but there's only so many times it can happen before you ask, why isn't the person themselves being held accountable for their actions instead of the media making it all about the club? While IMO it's minor, Sonny will and should be punished for PissGate, and Roberts should suffer some (albeit light IMO, given the circumstances) punishment also... from the club that is. If they think a drinking program is necessary then I'd support them in implementing it.

But to suggest it's a culture problem at the club when it's always the same 2-3 blokes is getting a bit over the top.

Yet after one broken fence, YOU are quite happy to point the finger at the Cronulla club.

Hypocrite.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
:lol: Whatever ink. You have no idea how to draw a comparison.

badav

Bench
_Johnsy said:
The good thing is that is one thing that will forever stay with your "proud" club.

Hey im more proud to support it than some merged entity with 8 years of history of failure and underachieving.

But carry on anyway.

Raiding Dazz

Juniors
Let him be, he had a few drinks the night before. not that morning.
sh*t happens and they should get over this minor incident.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
If anything this highlights the fact that just because you go to sleep after a big night on the cans doesn't necessarily mean you're good to go legally the next day.

Ice777

Bench
Dodger said:

It's the same 2 or 3 blokes of late, but what about the years of incidents that have plagued quite a number of Bulldogs players in the past? You're going on like this has only just started but it's happened time and time again and i think it's fair to say more so than at any other club. Get your head out of the sand Timmah you're sounding more and more like your CEO every day.

aqua_duck

Coach
must be taking notes from reni and sonny. He won't get any punishment, if reni got a salp on the wrist for driving whilst absolutely plastered, roberts won't get anythng for being slightly intoxicated and driving an unregistered car

this is beginning to become a joke, some of our players really need to have a good look at themselfes, it looks like were not only having problems on the field, but off the field also:(

HevyDevy

Coach
Raiding Dazz said:
Let him be, he had a few drinks the night before. not that morning.
sh*t happens and they should get over this minor incident.

He broke the law. It's up to him to make sure he isn't over the limit when he gets behind the wheel.

To say "but he drank the night before" is NO excuse.

The law is really quite simple - if you're over the limit you're breaking the law.

Coaster

Bench
HevyDevy said:
He broke the law. It's up to him to make sure he isn't over the limit when he gets behind the wheel.

To say "but he drank the night before" is NO excuse.

The law is really quite simple - if you're over the limit you're breaking the law.

Its one thing to go out drinking, then get behind the wheel

Its another thing to go out the night before, wake up drive to training, and not even relise that you still have achohol in your blood system.

He was not intoxicated, he would not have felt anything at all, how would he have known?

innsaneink

Referee
curious said:
Its one thing to go out drinking, then get behind the wheel

Its another thing to go out the night before, wake up drive to training, and not even relise that you still have achohol in your blood system.

He was not intoxicated, he would not have felt anything at all, how would he have known?

I think its fairly common knowledge you may have alco in your blood from the night before, while its minor...he'll be more careful next time, maybe.