What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

burgess return quicker than expected?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Matters not how they get it, just that they do and can spend it. Private ownership is risky and can lead to all eggs in one basket but if done well then it can give the investment clubs need to reaise them to the next level (see South Sydney). Be interesting to see if the NRL's private owners would be willing to throw in more money if they were allowed. As it stands the current salary cap is so low they dont need to for most clubs and they just top up a few hundred k when needed like at Manly and Roosters.

Perth Red

Post Whore
burgess_3122274b.jpg

Sam has a good laugh at how much he is being paid to stand around and do nothing

pHyR3

Juniors
French RU Top 14 only has a TV deal less than half ours yet their salary cap is well more than double the NRL's ($15mill). The NRL and its clubs are just not raising revenue like they should be able to do to match other international competitions despite its popularity, over the odds media deal and dominance in key markets.

Yeah, it's because the NRL has to cover the entire cap through it's grant.

Once they can stabilise cash flows of all clubs, like Tigers, Dragons, Titans etc. then they can quickly raise the cap to 10-12million while still retaining parity as all clubs will be able to spend their cap if they wish.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Thx Sam for playing a major part in helping deliver the best Xmas present to all us Souths members.

An unforgettable day it will be forever.

Green River Eel

Juniors
His skill set is much more limited than SBW's. Personally, I've always doubted whether he would be able to make the transition. That said, early days and he can still make it

Sam gives 10 times more than SBW on the park, SBW was in RL for a holiday, Burgess is twice the player, with imo a bigger skillset in the last few years.
Id take Sam over him any day.

kbw

Bench
Sam gives 10 times more than SBW on the park, SBW was in RL for a holiday, Burgess is twice the player, with imo a bigger skillset in the last few years.
Id take Sam over him any day.

I love modern technology allowing the blind and ignorant to be able to type on internet forums.
No doubt Burgess put in a lot of hard work in between many bouts of absolute filth. But SBW also worked damn hard, but I guess you thought he was bludging when Ch9 stopped dribbling all over him.

Burgess had twice the skillset, he could grab either or both testicles ....

Lambretta

First Grade
Guessing not one person that has posted here has watched one of his games?.
He has been going well.
Crunches people in D but see very little ball in attack - Which has nothing to do with him?
Bath are a joke.
The halves struggle to give him a decent ball!! They are f.c.ed!!

Bath are running second
How on earth does that make them f**ked??

I've seen him play almost every minute of his 1st grade rugby career, and he's not coming back to georgeball/yorkball anytime soon. My guess would be for the 2020 season. Reckon he'll stay to try and get into the Lions squad for 2017, it's versus New Zealand, obviously the biggest tour. RWC 2019 as well.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
According to sections of the media, Burgess suffered an injury that could have killed him in the Grand Final. Yet mere weeks later he is playing Union.

I await Fitzsimmons columns condemning the IRB in allowing this travesty to occur, followed by Buzz Rothfield.

alien

Referee
massive loss for the game and souths. i am hoping he comes back soon because he is in his prime now. if he doesnt then atleast he got to be a big part of the memorable grand final win. he is already a legend now, no matter what happens in the future. good luck sammy..