What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cam Smith and Slater are tired..

mxlegend99

Referee
I think the most telling moment was the intercept try to Simmons.

Billy Slater didn't even try to catch him. Considering how slow Simmons is and how quick Slater is, he should have comfortably caught him over 80 metres to stop a try. I was certain Slater would chase him down but after a few steps he just stopped chasing. It's just a shame that Cronk kept chasing, or Simmons could have gone under the posts and we would have actually kicked a goal.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
I said not long ago that their early season schedule had taken it out of them, making them look flat and tired. Got panned for it. It's finally resulted in two losses in a row.

POPEYE

Coach
That does not surprise me. Cam Smith in particular did not look well at all.

They lost 5 in a row last year. Writing them off now is fairly ridiculous.

I lied, thought I was Joel Madden. They've got no more excuse than any other player in the comp. If Tiger was watching he should be ashamed when he puts his hand out . . . anything that doesn't elevate the heart rate substantially is not a sport

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
The amount of times I saw Slater with his hands on his knees was quite shocking. And it's not like he had a lot of big linebreak runs to explain his tiredness.

Smith is in the same boat.

They'll make the 8 obviously but I wouldn't be surprised they miss the top 4. And with this new system you cannot win the premiership from outside the top 4.

There is a reason noone has gone back to back (in a full comp) in 20 years.

I'm putting my house, both kidneys, my precious first born son & my left nut on Melbourne going back to back now.

butchmcdick

Immortal
Titles are not won or lost in may

Lets see how each club goes post origin before we all blow our wadd over who will win the comp

thorson1987

Coach
I think the most telling moment was the intercept try to Simmons.

Billy Slater didn't even try to catch him. Considering how slow Simmons is and how quick Slater is, he should have comfortably caught him over 80 metres to stop a try. I was certain Slater would chase him down but after a few steps he just stopped chasing. It's just a shame that Cronk kept chasing, or Simmons could have gone under the posts and we would have actually kicked a goal.

Yep. I'm sitting there thinking wtf.

Thought Billy might be injured or sick.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Nearing 30 now. They are finding time catching up with them. Not in a massive way, but I reckon they'd know they are on the down side of their performance.

Not taking anything away by saying that. They are still awesome performers.

Feel the same way, all the 1 percenters they are so good at need fresh legs to beat the other man in the moment - and getting a fraction slower will reduce their still enviable effectiveness.

Still early on in the season though - how they pull through Origin will be very telling.

Lambretta

First Grade
Feel the same way, all the 1 percenters they are so good at need fresh legs to beat the other man in the moment - and getting a fraction slower will reduce their still enviable effectiveness.

Still early on in the season though - how they pull through Origin will be very telling.

Don't worry about Cam and Billy under performing during Origin; they're Queenslanders. If they were involved in a car crash and lost their legs they'd just grow newer better ones so they could run faster. The only time Queenslanders don't perform is when they wear the Blue of New South Wales. Oh, that doesn't happen.......

Meapro Ham

Juniors
So which is it Bunniesman?

This:

The amount of times I saw Slater with his hands on his knees was quite shocking. And it's not like he had a lot of big linebreak runs to explain his tiredness.

Smith is in the same boat.

They'll make the 8 obviously but I wouldn't be surprised they miss the top 4. And with this new system you cannot win the premiership from outside the top 4.

There is a reason noone has gone back to back (in a full comp) in 20 years.

Or this:

There's a clear difference in class between the top 4 and the rest. I'd even go as far as saying that no team between 5th and 16th will beat Storm/Souths/Manly/Roosters for the rest of the season. With the possible exception of irrelevant origin affected games.

You've completely contradicted yourself, already been proven wrong on the 2nd prediction and will probably be wrong on the first prediction as well. Keep up the good work.

Perce

Juniors
Cronk has carried that team all year.
OP is right - Smith and Slater do look tired. Slater looked to tweak his knee early in last night's match. He's been only moderate all season. And what is it with him not chasing downfield? He gave up a chase against Canberra last week, then pulled out really early when Simmons took the intercept for the first try at Penrith. Left it to Cronk to do the running. Is it a coach's instruction to conserve energy or stop him snapping a hammy or something, or just not interested? Not a great look.

beefstew

Juniors
They're also dealing with players who make consistently stupid errors, which they wouldn't be used to. It makes the game so much harder having to defend all those extra sets, whether you're a champion player or not.

BranVan3000

Coach
They will come good in the next few weeks. Storm always lose a couple in a row every year then come good

bottle

Coach
It gets tiring trying to spend all that extra over the cap money they've accumulated.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Saints fans should be concerned that widdop has had 2 stinkers in a row. Not sure that he is the right guy to get them on the right track.

Perce

Juniors
Saints fans should be concerned that widdop has had 2 stinkers in a row. Not sure that he is the right guy to get them on the right track.

The idea that he is part of a 'big 4' has always been ridiculous. he hasn't improved at all over the past year or more, and while he is obviously a player of some ability I'd rather have Maloney (for example), let alone Sezer of J Reynolds. Having said which, it'll be an improvement for Saints on Ja'amie.

BunniesMan

Immortal
So which is it Bunniesman?

This:

Or this:

You've completely contradicted yourself, already been proven wrong on the 2nd prediction and will probably be wrong on the first prediction as well. Keep up the good work.
Circumstances can change. And only stubborn fools refuse to allow their opinions to change as circumstances change.