What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron Smith is the greatest rugby league player ever.

POPEYE

Coach
And how is that working for you?
I'm a soc that gets invites because there's never a dull moment, one way or another, when I'm around . . . a lifeline when you're 69 and can only dream of 69's. Pauline is just a shitstir, politicians mean as little as priests to me. I just want my opinions heard, no-one except myself has a hope of changing them . . . so, working for me but might not work for others

Shorty

Staff member
Must be a bee with a massive dick then. Lockyer? Puhlease. He was a turnstyle in defense and had nothing in attack but flatballs. Joey revolutionised parts of the game and carried many bog-standard Knights squad well past where they should have gone. Lockyer spent years with an international club roster, and were it not for a Brett Hodgson pass, his Origin career would have been over in 2006 never to be heard from again.

Smith and Thurston are significantly better than Lockyer.
I rate Lockyer a lot but he played for the strongest club in the NRL who had won plenty of premierships before him and came into a side full of stars.
Johns and Thurston delivered maiden premierships to crazy heartlands, that level of pressure is something else entirely.

GongPanther

Referee
Come back to this thread in 20 years when it will be in meltdown when you can probably add another "10 greatest ever players".

It's a tired subject which only applies generationally.40 years ago you had players who the judges at that time thought they were the best we've ever,and will ever see.And 40 years on,the judges of today are still playing the same old tune.

To be fair to the past players,to watch them at that time and cherish what they did,is all it is about.And to compare them to the players of today who are so different physically and the way the game is professionally run,it's a total mismatch.

Food for thought....in 20 years or so,will rugby league be played by robotics? And if so,will our players of today be compared (unfairly) to the humanoids of tomorrow?

It's a generational question,isn't it?

Hutty1986

Immortal
Come back to this thread in 20 years when it will be in meltdown when you can probably add another "10 greatest ever players".

It's a tired subject which only applies generationally.40 years ago you had players who the judges at that time thought they were the best we've ever,and will ever see.And 40 years on,the judges of today are still playing the same old tune.

To be fair to the past players,to watch them at that time and cherish what they did,is all it is about.And to compare them to the players of today who are so different physically and the way the game is professionally run,it's a total mismatch.

Food for thought....in 20 years or so,will rugby league be played by robotics? And if so,will our players of today be compared (unfairly) to the humanoids of tomorrow?

Saints play like robots already. Really shit, uncoordinated robots.

King hit

Coach
Cameron Smith is probably the best hooker off all time, he is by far the best hooker I've ever seen. Noel Kelly was light years before my time so I have no idea how good he actually was but he seems like he was champion.

The only thing that I wonder about Smith compared to the old days are the scrums. When Kelly etc was playing the scrum was a fair dinkum contest for the ball when Smith has never been in a contested scrum and has never put his foot on the ball in one. Makes me wonder how good he would be in a contested scrum.

Pedge1971

First Grade

T Boon? That u man?

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I think Joey went okay in the very next game from memory. And he was pretty bloody good in 03, game 1 2002..memory gets sketchy around then though.
Its also amazing how little is said about the fact the core of that dominant QLD side were all knowingly cheating the salary cap for over half that streak...

You really think "little has been said" about it? It's brought up around here every Storm game and Origin thread.. "Cam the Accountant" ring any bells?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Cameron Smith is probably the best hooker off all time, he is by far the best hooker I've ever seen. Noel Kelly was light years before my time so I have no idea how good he actually was but he seems like he was champion.

The only thing that I wonder about Smith compared to the old days are the scrums. When Kelly etc was playing the scrum was a fair dinkum contest for the ball when Smith has never been in a contested scrum and has never put his foot on the ball in one. Makes me wonder how good he would be in a contested scrum.
Fair point but the same thing could be said about hookers of the past and their ability to be a playmaker.

Lambretta

First Grade
You are kidding.. Cam Smith doesn`t need drugs to play footy like john`s did during his career

You do realise that the drugs Andrew Johns took actually HARMED his playing ability

I mean, look at me - I took literally millions of pingers back in the day and I couldn't even lace up a boot, let alone win an Origin series.

Summadayze 2003 - I couldn't even say "I don't feel well, I need to go over here and dry retch for 30 minutes"
I did however dance for 10 hours and walk 10 k's after the event whilst not being able to see straight. So maybe I should have tried a bit harder to lace that boot.

You really think "little has been said" about it? It's brought up around here every Storm game and Origin thread.. "Cam the Accountant" ring any bells?

They call Cam the accountant cos of his painfully average build, not because of his obvious knowledge of and involvement in the systemic salary cap rorting in Melbourne.

I feel the need to call you an unknowledgeable twat, but I'm slightly embarrassed that I know this fact myself.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
They call Cam the accountant cos of his painfully average build, not because of his obvious knowledge of and involvement in the systemic salary cap rorting in Melbourne.

I feel the need to call you an unknowledgeable twat, but I'm slightly embarrassed that I know this fact myself.

I'm certain that's the intended use of the term around these parts...

moffla

Bench

If the players knew at the time, that information surely would have been leaked by now.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its a shame player managers/NRL are not better at promoting players. Thurston must be the most marketable sportsman in Australia yet how often do you see him outside of the game? Smith has the nickname the accountant, geez you'd think an accountancy firm would have picked him up for promotion by now. Saw Slater recently for a sports drink and Barbie (yes the doll) on TV but its rare to see our top players benefitting from their image rights to any great extent.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You do realise that the drugs Andrew Johns took actually HARMED his playing ability

I mean, look at me - I took literally millions of pingers back in the day and I couldn't even lace up a boot, let alone win an Origin series.

Summadayze 2003 - I couldn't even say "I don't feel well, I need to go over here and dry retch for 30 minutes"
I did however dance for 10 hours and walk 10 k's after the event whilst not being able to see straight. So maybe I should have tried a bit harder to lace that boot.

It may have had a negative impact physically but he has admitted that he needed them to help him cope with the emotional aspects of the game. Without taking the drugs he might have been more stressed and less able to perform. That is why most consider him a drug cheat.

Lambretta

First Grade
It may have had a negative impact physically but he has admitted that he needed them to help him cope with the emotional aspects of the game. Without taking the drugs he might have been more stressed and less able to perform. That is why most consider him a drug cheat.

lol - yeah right

That pretty much makes every single player who played Rugby League in the 90's a drugs cheat
Get over yourself mate

Latest posts