What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Captains Challenge will be trialled in Newcastle v Illawarra plodfest this weekend

no name

Coach
Sounds good in theory, but they'll find a way to f**k it up.

I can just see it now. A captain's challenge is made on a 50/50 call, video ref sticks with referees decision because of inconclusive evidence and team loses their ability to challenge. Refs then make a f**k up on another try and it can't be challenged despite the fact everyone knows it was a bad call.
Bound to happen within the first 2 weeks

Perth Red

Post Whore
Another gimmick, like the bunker, to deflect from the two real problems 1. Sht refs afraid to make decisions 2. Sht tv dissecting every ref decision in super Slomo then slating them when they get it wrong.

bileduct

Coach
Also, with regard to not showing replays at the ground for the first 20 seconds after a try, where does the game feed to the ground screen come from these days? When I used to work for Fox Sports just over 10 years ago the ground screen would use the Fox feed and then cut in with their own shit when needed.

I could see it getting pretty annoying for home viewers if this then becomes part of the viewing experience. Unless they're talking about blacking out the ground screen or something.

Nuts

Juniors

I can just see it now. A captain's challenge is made on a 50/50 call, video ref sticks with referees decision because of inconclusive evidence and team loses their ability to challenge. Refs then make a f**k up on another try and it can't be challenged despite the fact everyone knows it was a bad call.

Spot on!! You just know this will happen.

POPEYE

Coach
Not real smart 'officially' disputing referee decisions, ok for a Captain to offer subtle reminders to a whistle blower that he may have erred but to offer him up for ridicule. Watched an U20 game where a team challenged twice and won, the ref then found twice as many pedantic penalties against them on parts of the field that mattered. . . I reckon Cam Smith will continue to do it his way.

bnie7349

Juniors

But the point is we already seeing enough f**k ups with the bunker as it. The Captains challenge will see more decision making by the on field referees and an on field referee making a bad call is nowhere near as bad as the bunker screwing up a decision after looking at it for 3-4 mins.

Last edited:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
How many times does a referee make a decision on the spot, even if the try looked pretty obvious?

The only game I can think where the bunker had no involvement would've been a Penrith game, cant remember exactly who they played, but all the decisions were done the on the spot.

bileduct

Coach
But the point is we already seeing enough f**k ups with the bunker as it. The Captains challenge will see more decision making by the on field referees and an on field referee making a bad call is nowhere near as bad as the bunker screwing up a decision after looking at it for 3-4 mins.
I disagree. We all go spastic when the bunker screws something up but I think they also overturn a lot of bad refereeing decisions.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Stuff that ... trial this

Suck it up cupcake rule ...
If ANY player questions a refs decision they are binned and the Grade 1 Disputing a Decision judiciary charge is actually applied. Referee hand signals should be enough to tell everyone what the penalty is for.

If the refs signal correctly there is no reason ever for players to approach/question them. Suck it up and move on.

bnie7349

Juniors
I disagree. We all go spastic when the bunker screws something up but I think they also overturn a lot of bad refereeing decisions.

Yes that's true but remember captains don't lose a challenge if they are successful so we will still see the bunker overturning dud referees calls as long as captains don't waste their challenges.

bileduct

Coach
Yes that's true but remember captains don't lose a challenge if they are successful so we will still see the bunker overturning dud referees calls as long as captains don't waste their challenges.
But you've already said that you have no confidence in the bunker, so from your point of view what's the guarantee that the bunker is going to make the correct call during a captain's challenge?

If this system was put in place for all NRL games it'd be gone within two weeks.

adamkungl

Immortal
Most "wrong" bunker calls, even ones I think are ridiculous, have as many people arguing that it's the correct call. Refereeing Rugby League is not an exact science, unfortunately. Some of that could be improved by better rulemaking and processes, but some we just have to accept that the referee is there to make a decision that he feels best reflects the rules and spirit of the game. It's why I prefer the referee to decide whether someone was obstructed rather than rely on strict guidelines about 'inside shoulders' and whatever else.

For me, the far bigger issue than incorrect bunker decisions is the sheer amount of timewasting with video reviews, killing the flow of the game and crowds enthusiasm. This trial is a good first attempt at reducing that, I'm glad to see it, despite the exact rules of it not being how I would implement it.

RufusRex

Post Whore
which set of rules will be used?

Basically - if Widdop challenged the quick tap try from the weekend then to the letter of the law it was no try as the quick tap was not taken correctly ie ball released from hands. However these rules are not typically applied.

How about this ... a try is scored and the captain challenges based on the play the ball being taken incorrectly either no use of foot or player walked off the mark. Could we possibly see a return to the actual rules of league? 2nd row feed on a try scored from the scrum? Breaking form a scrum?

try scored from a short kick on a drop out and disputing if it is taken 5cm over the try line? How about correct play the balls where the ball has to be lifted off the ground before being played? What about not packing a scrum correctly ie Prop Hooker Prop in the front row, 2nd row, 2nd row then lock? There a so many rules in the NRL rule book that are not applied.

bnie7349

Juniors
But you've already said that you have no confidence in the bunker, so from your point of view what's the guarantee that the bunker is going to make the correct call during a captain's challenge?

If this system was put in place for all NRL games it'd be gone within two weeks.

I haven't lost confidence in the bunker, I just don't think it's been applied correctly. There is no doubt the bunker gets more correct call then incorrect ones. The reality is that the bunker is not perfect and the captains challenge won't be either.

My whole argument is not about which system is more accurate as I personally believe they will be similar. I'm more concerned about the thertre of the game in which I believe the captains challenge will be a better system.

bileduct

Coach
I haven't lost confidence in the bunker, I just don't think it's been applied correctly. There is no doubt the bunker gets more correct call then incorrect ones. The reality is that the bunker is not perfect and the captains challenge won't be either.

My whole argument is not about which system is more accurate as I personally believe they will be similar. I'm more concerned about the thertre of the game in which I believe the captains challenge will be a better system.
If there's a system that's going to produce more theatrics, this is it.

After all the hoopla about the new bunker system that was supposedly going to ensure no incorrect decision was ever going to be made suddenly the NRL is deciding that it's now up to the players to take action when the on-field referee makes a mistake. Except we're still going to have the video ref jump in when a scrum has been awarded to the wrong team.

This has disaster written all over it.

bnie7349

Juniors
If there's a system that's going to produce more theatrics, this is it.

After all the hoopla about the new bunker system that was supposedly going to ensure no incorrect decision was ever going to be made suddenly the NRL is deciding that it's now up to the players to take action when the on-field referee makes a mistake. Except we're still going to have the video ref jump in when a scrum has been awarded to the wrong team.

This has disaster written all over it.

I agree with you on that part. I don't think the bunker should be jumping in on general play decisions. But unfortunately the NRL want to get there money's worth on the bunker. Hopefully the NRL realise this in the off season, not that I am expecting them to.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
which set of rules will be used?

Basically - if Widdop challenged the quick tap try from the weekend then to the letter of the law it was no try as the quick tap was not taken correctly ie ball released from hands. However these rules are not typically applied.

How about this ... a try is scored and the captain challenges based on the play the ball being taken incorrectly either no use of foot or player walked off the mark. Could we possibly see a return to the actual rules of league? 2nd row feed on a try scored from the scrum? Breaking form a scrum?

try scored from a short kick on a drop out and disputing if it is taken 5cm over the try line? How about correct play the balls where the ball has to be lifted off the ground before being played? What about not packing a scrum correctly ie Prop Hooker Prop in the front row, 2nd row, 2nd row then lock? There a so many rules in the NRL rule book that are not applied.

The blow up from capt's when their challenge is over ruled despite a clear infringement of a never used rule is going to be epic lol, especially if it leads to the next try being given incorrectly. I very much doubt this will ever get past trial phase.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I agree with you on that part. I don't think the bunker should be jumping in on general play decisions. But unfortanley the NRL want to get there money's worth on the bunker. Hopefully the NRL realise this in the off season, not that I am expecting them to.

Until the NRL convinces the TV not to show every ref decision from 6 angles in super slomo and until the NRL has an agreement that TV commentators are not to question ref decisions nothing will change. Media continues to run the game and whilst the scrutiny of the media brings bad press to the weak NRL it will continue to knee jerk its way through one failed answer to another. Why? because there is no answer that does not screw the viewing enjoyment of the game. Refs will make mistakes, that's life, that's sport. Expecting the game to be error free for refs is like expecting it to be error free for players, it will never happen. So you either change expectation or you keep using technology to scrutinise every decision to try and get everything correct.

bileduct

Coach
Until the NRL convinces the TV not to show every ref decision from 6 angles in super slomo and until the NRL has an agreement that TV commentators are not to question ref decisions nothing will change. Media continues to run the game and whilst the scrutiny of the media brings bad press to the weak NRL it will continue to knee jerk its way through one failed answer to another. Why? because there is no answer that does not screw the viewing enjoyment of the game. Refs will make mistakes, that's life, that's sport. Expecting the game to be error free for refs is like expecting it to be error free for players, it will never happen. So you either change expectation or you keep using technology to scrutinise every decision to try and get everything correct.
Egg-zactly.

It's the media focus that will bring it down. Andrew Voss won't be able to shut up about it for the rest of the game if they f**k up.