What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears NRL Bid.

flippikat

Bench
Gold Coast Bears could come to Sydney 8 times a year and placate bears whilst still playing on, and representing GC 12 times a year.

Again, its just scheduling.

Exactly. Package the "away" Sydney games as a Sydney membership. The other Sydney teams can take a wee cut of that (fair's fair, it's their home game) - no problem.

I can only see scope for the odd game at North Sydney Oval - naturally against Manly - perhaps every two years, so that it's not overdone. Get both clubs wearing strips from an era in their past - eg both in their 1970s strips - and play that as part of a heritage round revamp (That's a whole other topic..)

The Central Coast should really start looking for another club to move there or play a decent number of games there. Geographically, it maoes no sense for the Bears to be Gold Coast AND Central Coast.

My two preferred options would be either Manly playing a few games there (similar model to St George-Illawarra resulting in regional clubs going north and south up and down the coast), or a full relocation of the Roosters to Gosford.

insert.pause

First Grade
There's a consortium bid that's been hush hush up here for a while, just waiting for the NRL to put up the for sale sign.

flippikat

Bench
There's a consortium bid that's been hush hush up here for a while, just waiting for the NRL to put up the for sale sign.

Interesting.. I wonder if they're keen to play by the NRL's "as is, where is" sale condition, or if they want to change the team name and/or colours - or even move it to Brisbane?

insert.pause

First Grade
Interesting.. I wonder if they're keen to play by the NRL's "as is, where is" sale condition, or if they want to change the team name and/or colours - or even move it to Brisbane?
as is, it's locally based, Kelly is driving it. I think his involvement has always been favoured by the NRL and is why he remained on the board after the NRL took over. Interestingly they did the same thing with Newcastle by having the Wests ceo on the original board, whether things have changed for the better since he stepped down? Hopefully it was due to conflict and it means Wests are in talks with the NRL.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
As an aside, If the Bears come back, I hope it also means the Warriors move away from red white & black, and go for a blue white and green strip.

For example.. http://gazf.info/auckland-warriors-2010/

It's about time they went back to something closer to the original colours for the club. Having a red and black team enter the league is the perfect opportunity to re-establish the Warriors own identity.

That won't happen either way, because colours in the Warriors colour scheme is sold as part of their main sponsorship, or at least it used to be.
The green and red in their original scheme were DB bitters' green and red, and the white and red are Vodafones' white and red.

They changed from Aucklands' colours of blue and white to NZs' colour of black when they changed from representing Auckland to all of NZ, so if you want them to change from black, white, and red you'll have to convince them to change sponsors.

T-Boon

Coach
I like the logic of the GC Bears being able to engage the Sydney based Bears fans for Sydney away games. I don't like the idea of them jumping in some other teams grave.
Why don't they propose the idea of the Perth Bears or the Western Bears? I'd get right behind that - they could get a joint venture going with the old Western Reds or the Pirates (lame name in my opinion).

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why would north Sydney leagues club pump millions if $'s into Perth RL? Just to see a red and black jersey back in the nrl? I think not. We have no interest in the next Perth team becoming a pseudo tenth Sydney club thanks

Pirates will be one of the strongest brands in the nrl if treat right.

Pommy

Coach
Why would north Sydney leagues club pump millions if $'s into Perth RL? Just to see a red and black jersey back in the nrl? I think not. We have no interest in the next Perth team becoming a pseudo tenth Sydney club thanks

Pirates will be one of the strongest brands in the nrl if treat right.

Why not south Melbourne go ok in Sydney.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I thought Perth were starving for rl?

So if bears moved there with Titans license, surely Perth would be loving it?

Neither of which will ever happen. Titans are going nowhere and bears are never coming back. This is the problem with our game, it's always looking backwards, never ahead. It's why we are still playing games in grounds that were barely fit for purpose in the 70's in front of crowds of third tier sports

taipan

Referee
Neither of which will ever happen. Titans are going nowhere and bears are never coming back. This is the problem with our game, it's always looking backwards, never ahead. It's why we are still playing games in grounds that were barely fit for purpose in the 70's in front of crowds of third tier sports

Maybe it's looking backwards and maybe it's also covering its financial a*se until it flogs off the Titans and Newcastle.
Union expanded looking ahead,and they are in one f*cker of a mess.No money, no love, no crowds.
And the A League this morning with their national expansion,according to Roy Masters on the Fluffsiders,(has left the clubs with $200m in losses since inception).
And fumble ball has spent a kings ransom to get where they are expansion wise.With clubs still collectively losing $93m last year.
Expansion is great, provided it is well planned and financed for the long term to cover the highs and lows.

We had decent stadiums at GC and Dunedin, this weekend hardly overflowing with fans.And no weather complaints.
Rest assured ANZ and the SFS would be looking poorly this weekend for NRL games.

Answer is scheduling ,controlling fixtures and weather.

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
Hearing that the CC Mariners want to buy CC Stadium and ban RL from playing there

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Hearing that the CC Mariners want to buy CC Stadium and ban RL from playing there

The big shot owner wants its management rights along with approval foe several developments on adjacent land. Pretty obvious why he got involved with that club now. Tbh I use to support them but have stopped since last year and won't be going back

BuffaloRules

Coach
Im sure the CC Mariners with all their history of success and 4K crowds have tens of millions squirreled away somewhere to buy the CC stadium...