What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears website - 20 Nov 09

Goddo

Bench
The Illawarra region has a similar population and they only have half a team (of sorts). I feel a Newcastle Central Coast combined team is whats on the NRL's wish list and that would leave the Bears to look for other areas to link with.

No, I think a North Sydney- Central Coast side will work very well... Corporates in North Sydney, traditional fan base, heritage + Nice newish ground, larger market of fans. It reeks of long term success.

If North Sydney and Manly didn't hate each other as much as they did, that merger could have been as strong as St George Illawarra has been. Now, we are effectively getting the Northern eagles, but without the tainted Manly/Norths combination.

Longer term, I seriously think the Central Coast -North Sydney Bears will spell doom for Manly, whos stadium is crumbling, management is lost, ownership is split, has been looking at property and development on the Sunshine Coast.

The Bears have done a great job that they are pretty much a certainty. I can see a big problem with Manly in say 10-20 years time though. I wonder if the NRL has given this any concideration...

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
No, I think a North Sydney- Central Coast side will work very well... Corporates in North Sydney, traditional fan base, heritage + Nice newish ground, larger market of fans. It reeks of long term success.

If North Sydney and Manly didn't hate each other as much as they did, that merger could have been as strong as St George Illawarra has been. Now, we are effectively getting the Northern eagles, but without the tainted Manly/Norths combination.

Longer term, I seriously think the Central Coast -North Sydney Bears will spell doom for Manly, whos stadium is crumbling, management is lost, ownership is split, has been looking at property and development on the Sunshine Coast.

The Bears have done a great job that they are pretty much a certainty. I can see a big problem with Manly in say 10-20 years time though. I wonder if the NRL has given this any concideration...

All good points mate. The NRL has made no secret of the fact that they want a bigger RL presence in Qld and a SC team fits into that idea. Given the Sea Eagles ties to that region now, it seems that they would be the perfect candidate for relocation.

I fear that the Nth Eagles left a bad taste in the mouths of many CC fans and that some would see a combined Nth Sydney/CC Bears team as a revisiting of that failure.

However the chips may fall, a top level team for the CC is a must whether it be a joint venture or a stand-alone side. That stadium is simply too good a venue to be wasted like it is.

Red Bear

Referee
It's a strange one. As much as i love having the Bears at North Sydney in the NSW cup i thought we should've moved to the CC for next season, send a really strong message that we want this area. Then this happens - great.

sharko

Juniors
We all know how good Newcastle at managing finances..they are the worst run club in the league, I think they willbe funding this eal with chook raffles once a month, that all they can afford.
Now having players involved with drugs is where Newcastle seems to have the form.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
7. I don't believe the Bear brand is the right one for the Coast.
The Coast should have its own fresh Identity if granted a franchise.(my
opinion only)

There you have it.
The head of teh CRL, from day 1, didn't want the Bears up on the Coast.

he was happy for the Bears to do all the work and get a stadium built for Gosford. But, apparently, that's not enough for Terry.

This is why we need dinosaurs like him out of the game.

It also shows how hard it has been for the Bears to get back in.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
lol - by the sounds of it the "bears" will be no longer even if they do get in.
:?

How do you figure that?

Try educating yourself by making such completely stupid and nonsensical comments :lol:

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
:?

How do you figure that?

Try educating yourself by making such completely stupid and nonsensical comments :lol:

I think Manly fans should be very concerned about their future.
No CEO, after months. Penn and Delmege at each other's throats - this will blow up again soon. Worse - no more Arko to ensure sweet deals when they are bankrupt.

Goddo

Bench
yeah all the signs are pointing to Manly playing on the Sunshine Coast in the future... Their fans need to start working and working hard if they want to save the joint.

Cronulla are up the creek cause they have huge debt, a bad image and small fan base/region. But I think Manly's position, being privately owned by two guys that hate each other and are more interested in property development, no CEO, no stadium funding, is far worse. The Bears return bodes very badly for Manly

mightybears

Bench
:lol:

Its a conspiracy! News Corp feel they haven't shafted the Bears enough, so they let them back into the comp simply so they can f### em even more!

Thats gold.

Yeah but Ronny's not wrong to think that the CRL and CC League officials have, to put it mildly no idea at times and are more interested in protecting their own vested interests.

Knightmare

Coach
We all know how good Newcastle at managing finances..they are the worst run club in the league, I think they willbe funding this eal with chook raffles once a month, that all they can afford.
Now having players involved with drugs is where Newcastle seems to have the form.

Going by your username, I think you support a worse-run club.

RedVee

First Grade
I feel the Bears will be lucky to get in as it seems that the NRL views that area as a relocation spot for the likes of Cronulla or Souths, or a merger/expansion area for Newcastle.
My feeling is that new entrants to the comp may be covered by Qld (CC or Sunshine Coast) & perhaps another NZed team. If those teams were joined by a relocated Sydney team it gives the populous East Coast of Aust blanket coverage for pay TV, give NZed a game each week to improve pay TV and eventually strengthen (again) their International squad.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Seems no one is getting in if Gallops statements in the other thread are anything to go by!

Broncodr01d

Juniors
Thoughts? Make it happen NRL. As a Central Coast resident, having a "home" team to be able to attend a live NRL match every other weekend would be gold.

macavity

Referee
easy solution.

the NRL has all the Sydney teams play their home games v Newcastle on the Central Coast... whammo, the Newcastle / Central Coast Knights give the Central Coast top line footy, and shore up our area.... :cool:

If StGeorge/Illa can work, this can work too.... :cool:

Joker's Wild

Coach

Go troll somewhere else idiot

Grumpy Old Man

Juniors
If I lived on the Central Coast I would want a completely fresh identity.
St George/Illawarra prospered because they had two existing 1st grade teams merging from both areas, as far as I can see neither the CC or North Sydney have either.

Latest posts