What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Falcons vs Waicoa Bay Stallions

carlnz

Bench
Falcons came from behind to win 42-30 in a thriller. The match was a cracker!! Stallions lead 24-10 at the break, before two Falcon tries to make it 24-22. It was 36-30 to the Falcons with 3 mins to go when the Stallions had a full set of six 10 meters out.

Good crowd of over 150 ($5 entry each) turned up, and was no aggresive fans at all.

It was the best standard of Bartercard Cup match i have seen in a long long time. Hardly any dropped ball and some brillant team tries.

Names to make note of:

Russel Packer (falcons) only 16 or 17 years old plays in the front row.
Haisley Robson (facons) Half back from otago, looks a player of the future.

Falcons have theyoungest team in the comp and these kids can play.

Stallions had no Hohaia even though it was in the papers that he would play. Karena had a ripper of a match though, he has good some talen and is a very good kicker.

If these two teams play like this the whole seasont hen i have no doubt they will be finals bound.

Overall i would have given the match an 8/10 - pitty it was not the monday night match.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
I thought the Warriors curtain raiser was a fantastic game, given the conditions.

Counties trailed by as much as 18-4 and 24-14 but scored a last minute try to level the match at 24-24, and the sideline conversion for the win hit the crossbar.

carlnz

Bench
IanRitchie said:
I thought the Warriors curtain raiser was a fantastic game, given the conditions.

Counties trailed by as much as 18-4 and 24-14 but scored a last minute try to level the match at 24-24, and the sideline conversion for the win hit the crossbar.

I have to say that from the matches i have seen or heard about, the standard has risen from last year.

playdaball

Bench
What is the average BC Cup crowd? Around 150 people? If 150 people paid $5 each that is only $750.00, what does the club do with that? Buy a few beers and some tape for the team?

carlnz

Bench
playdaball said:
What is the average BC Cup crowd? Around 150 people? If 150 people paid $5 each that is only $750.00, what does the club do with that? Buy a few beers and some tape for the team?

Mate only 150 turned up because we had thunder storms in Palmerston North today and the game was played on the outer field due to the destruction derby they had on at the Arena the night before, so there was no cover from the conditions for the fans.

For the Falcons games i would say at least 200-250 turn up on average.

Its not about making money, i believe that money goes towards Junior development. I remember at the Hibiscus Coast Raiders home games it was only a gold coin donations for the junior teams and at Mt Albert you dont pay nothing. I think its $5 at Canterbury Bulls home matches too.

playdaball

Bench
Hey Carl appreciate your comments. I suppose I am more concerned at the fact that the attendance numbers are generally low and there does not seem to be any additional income for 'clubs' to survive.

I've been out to Mt Albert, Glenora and Northcote (not this year) and have never paid to watch.

IS THIS COMPETITION FIANCIALLY VIABLE ????

mean

Juniors
Depends on how you measure the rewards. Statistics regarding participation, players getting contracts, crowd numbers etc could determine whether the outlay is beneficial.

Will NZRL recoup the $600,000+ spent to run this competition? Unless Māori TV is significantly contributing, I suspect not.

How are some of these franchises getting their returns? $1000 sign ons and $250 a win is certainly not going to get any returns from a particular franchise.

$20,000+ in sign ons, $20,000 per 4 wins, associated costs. $100,000+ to run franchise is a huge outlay. I estimate <$10,000 will be returned from gate takings, prizemoney winnings is a risk to count on and sponsorship is an uncertainty as well.

I don't see the logic if these franchises are gonna run at a loss every year. They have no juniors or clubrooms.

I suppose it saves the clubs from this financial drain and they therfore can spend on juniors, schoolboys and their prems.

AliN

Live Update Team
I was disappointed the games at Ericsson before the Warriors aren't covered anymore on tele although I do enjoy the Monday night coverage.

There's been some good games alright. Shame the Stallions lost after a good start to the competition.
I'm sure you were gutted aye Carl!

Skinner

Coach
mean said:
I suppose it saves the clubs from this financial drain and they therfore can spend on juniors, schoolboys and their prems.

For me, that's it, in a nut shell. Whilst I don't particularly like franchise
based footy, Auckland clubs could not have survived the constant financial
drain that the former competition imposed.

Cheers

L NUTTER

Juniors
carlnz said:
Russel Packer (falcons) only 16 or 17 years old plays in the front row.

kids got a big future
plying his trade well in the central batercard
kids got the potential
and the temperment to stay grounded
a player of the future
roosters bound
but will benefit from there strong programs

carlnz

Bench
AliN said:
There's been some good games alright. Shame the Stallions lost after a good start to the competition.
I'm sure you were gutted aye Carl!

If the stallions play like they did on Sunday against the falcons they will make the finals this year. They did well with no Lance Hohaia, Hayden Karena had a ripper of the game. They just need a little bit more fitness that is all.