What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CEOs meet to take NRL 'to another level'

BunniesMan

Immortal
Piss poorest idea ever and so American its just ewwwwwwwwww!
We shouldn't hate ideas just because they're "american" or "AFL" or whatever silly reason. We should embrace all good ideas. And IMO choosing numbers is a great idea, we could have iconic players make their chosen number part of their identity, like Michael Jordan and the 23.

And it's not even an american only idea, soccer does it worldwide and they have no problems with it, as does the AFL and cricket.
Will the Dragons be in both conferences?:crazy:
If it is a Sydney/non Sydney conference one "sydney" team would have to be counted as non sydney to make it even and the most logical team would be the Dragons.

And what I've found interesting is all these people against this conference idea with Sydney teams in our own conference. You people don't hesitate to hate on Sydney teams the rest of the time, how we supposedly have too much power and are dinosaurs and blah blah blah, but as soon as an idea comes up where we play in our own conference, you're all against us. Because everyone knows Sydney teams get great ratings, the iconic brands and colours and logos that built this league are Sydney teams, and none of you want to play us less often.

Remember that next time you think of having a go at us.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
How it could look

Conference one (Sydney Based Teams, Listed alphabetically)

1 Game at home and 1 game away (16 rounds)

Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
Cronulla Sharks
Manly Sea Eagles
Parramatta Eels
Penrith Panthers
Souths Sydney Rabbitohs
Sydney Roosters
Wests Tigers

Conference two (Regional Based Teams, Listed alphabetically)

1 Game at home and 1 game away (16 rounds)

Brisbane Broncos
Canberra Raiders
Gold Coast Titans
Melbourne Storm
Newcastle Knights
New Zealand Warriors
North Queensland Cowboys
St George Illawarra Dragons

Interconference
1 game at home 1 game away (over a two year cycle) (8 rounds)

For a total of 24 rounds
Two games in your conference, one game interconference, Two games in your conference, one game interconference, repeat etc

Finals
Top four from each conference, each game a knockout.

Week 1
SF1 - C1 N1 V C2 N4
SF2 - C1 N2 V C2 N3
SF3 - C1 N3 V C2 N2
SF4 - C1 N4 V C2 N1

Week 2
PF1 - SF1 Winner V SF3 Winner
PF2 - SF2 Winner V SF4 Winner

Week 3
PF1 Winner V PF2 Winner

Winner NRL champions

icewind

Juniors
i like the personalised number system for cricket, because the players numbers don't really correspond to their position on the field. NRL 1= fullback, 7=halfback etc. etc.

hate the idea for NRL.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Assuming Perth & Central Coast get the nod in 2013.

I would suggest that St George -Illawarra would play in the Sydney conference if there are 18 teams and there is a 9/9 split.

Perth, Melbourne,North Qld and the Warriors have to endure a flight no matter who they play away, and Brisbane and Gold Coast will play each other home and away and have to fly every other away game anyway, so I dont see it being a big deal if they are not lined up with Sydney teams in a conference...

It is advantage for the Sydney Teams only having to travel interstate a maximum of 4 times per year though...

Central Coast, Newcastle and Canberra would be disadvantaged....

BunniesMan

Immortal
i like the personalised number system for cricket, because the players numbers don't really correspond to their position on the field. NRL 1= fullback, 7=halfback etc. etc.

hate the idea for NRL.
Numbers used to correspond to the positions in Soccer and Basketball. They moved on when they saw the opportunities that personalised numbers bring. As we should IMO.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Well seeing as this was my idea some time ago let me defend it.

With a home and away guaranteed for Sydney teams their will be more rivalries and local derbies played increasing the crowds and TV interest. The regional teams will also have more rivalries games like Broncos-Titans will be on twice every year.

Clubs will have increased revenue. Hopefully the finals system will be more like top 3 from each conference and the new best two, then they are ranked thus:

Team with overall best record will be first
team in other conference with best record for that conference second and so on. Then the top 8 plays out like usual.

With the current teams the Dragons are the regional team but I think we wait until the Reds and Bears come in and put them both in the regional and have two conferences of 9. Play own conference twice other conference once and you have 25 rounds. 12 at home, 12 away and 1 at a neutral venue (take it to the bush, other cities - expansion areas, international locations like SE Asia or even US.

applesauce

Bench
This was on the NRL's facebook:

Club CEO's have today agreed to move Sydney 'Home Finals' (Week One Finals Matches) to either the SFS or ANZ Stadium from 2011 onwards.

Glad we won't see 15k at Kograh by the all-mighty Dragons again...

NRLMad

Juniors
The good point abt the Conference system would be that you would have more games in Sydney. You would think at least.. A lot of the larger crowds in SYD at least are due to the traditional rivals playing each other..

applesauce

Bench
Numbers used to correspond to the positions in Soccer and Basketball. They moved on when they saw the opportunities that personalised numbers bring. As we should IMO.

The one thing that is truly underestimated is the ease it is to pick up the game because of the numbers. If we want to expand into non-heartland/foreign markets then this is a huge advantage for our sport.

For example, I have a mate who's over backpacking from Canada. We went to the Titans V Roosters Final & the 4 Nations final. After he got down the basic rules and fundimentals he found it incredible easy to understand roles, positions and plays thanks to the numbers determining what the players do and what is expected of them.

I find it difficult to grasp what kind of position an AFL player has (when I watch the GF each year) cause they all look like they are fighting over the ball and trying to kick to the big bloke at either end... Our game allows more structure and ease of viewing for NEW fans. Something us learned viewers take for granted.

I don't give a sh*t if Thurston's favourite number is 69 or whatever. If the NRL was serious about personalisation they should do what the EPL, MLB, NFL and NBA does and show the names on the back of the shoulders.

For anyone sceptical because of the almighty sponsorship dollar, the QLD Maroons can fit in both, so why can't the NRL put rules in place to ensure the same?

BunniesMan

Immortal
The one thing that is truly underestimated is the ease it is to pick up the game because of the numbers. If we want to expand into non-heartland/foreign markets then this is a huge advantage for our sport.

For example, I have a mate who's over backpacking from Canada. We went to the Titans V Roosters Final & the 4 Nations final. After he got down the basic rules and fundimentals he found it incredible easy to understand roles, positions and plays thanks to the numbers determining what the players do and what is expected of them.

I find it difficult to grasp what kind of position an AFL player has (when I watch the GF each year) cause they all look like they are fighting over the ball and trying to kick to the big bloke at either end... Our game allows more structure and ease of viewing for NEW fans. Something us learned viewers take for granted.

I don't give a sh*t if Thurston's favourite number is 69 or whatever. If the NRL was serious about personalisation they should do what the EPL, MLB, NFL and NBA does and show the names on the back of the shoulders.

For anyone sceptical because of the almighty sponsorship dollar, the QLD Maroons can fit in both, so why can't the NRL put rules in place to ensure the same?
We might disagree about numbers but I wholeheartedly agree about names on jerseys. There's no reason that couldn't be done.

jonno_knights

Juniors
We might disagree about numbers but I wholeheartedly agree about names on jerseys. There's no reason that couldn't be done.

Yes there is, because that space is used for advertising, plus clubs would go through a lot more jerseys if players have one offs in particular jerseys.

IF players were to have the same number every game though, it could work, but I dont see the need. It doesnt take much for the fan to tell who players are, and for those new to the game, there is always big league to help them out.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Yes there is, because that space is used for advertising, plus clubs would go through a lot more jerseys if players have one offs in particular jerseys.

IF players were to have the same number every game though, it could work, but I dont see the need. It doesnt take much for the fan to tell who players are, and for those new to the game, there is always big league to help them out.
All you'd have to do is move the sponsorship on the back of the jersey down by about 2 inches or even put the name below the sponsorship but above the number. It's not rocket science. Footy players have big backs, there's plenty of room.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I actually am not a fan of the Sydney and non Sydney conference system. I dont think it creates evenness in the competition as one year the non Sydney conference could be stronger and better teams could miss out. But it is important to have as many derby's as possible.

Here's how I would do it. First, divide teams into pools based on location. (assuming Perth and the CC are next in)

Interstate/International Melbourne, Perth, NZ

Queensland Nth Queensland, Brisbane, Gold Coast

Country NSW Newcastle, Central Coast, Canberra

West Sydney Penrith, Parramatta, Wests Tigers

Central Sydney Canterbury, St George/Illawarra, Cronulla

Eastern Sydney Sydney, South Sydney, Manly

Then each conference would be split up by their rankings from the previous year. (so based on this years rankings and assuming Perth and CC are ranked last)

Conference A would get teams
1st Queensland (Gold Coast)
3rd Queensland (Nth Qld)
2nd Interstate/international (Melbourne)
1st Country NSW (Canberra)
3rd Country NSW (Central Coast)
2nd East Sydney (Manly)
1st Central Sydney (St George)
3rd Central Sydney (Cronulla)
2nd West Sydney (Wests Tigers)

Conference B would get
2nd Queensland (Brisbane)
1st Interstate/International (NZ)
3rd Interstate/International (Perth)
2nd Country NSW (Newcastle)
1st East Sydney (Sydney)
3rd East Sydney (South Sydney)
2nd Central Sydney (Canterbury)
1st West Sydney (Penrith)
2nd West Sydney (Parramatta)

Teams play teams in their conference twice and the other conference once.
So, with a fairly even distribution of teams, fans should travel about the same amount, with a decent balance of local derbies and with hopefully the stronger teams spread amongst the two conferences.

Normal ladder would apply, same finals system applies.

Another idea I have is having the teams that have the highest TV ratings ranked and then split evenly into two conferences and applying the same system, so that the lower drawing teams get to play in games against higher drawing teams.

applesauce

Bench

If you bothered reading the post above, I said the QLD Maroons can fit in the players names + XXXX advertising...

102678180.jpg

And it many ways I find that argument insulting.

Does the NRL have to whore out every piece of space on the jerseys (which effectively reduces it's overall value)?

Who can put a price on a kid having their heros name on their back and wearing it around town for all to see. Isn't that advertising the player, club and the game?

Which has the greater worth to our code, the advertisers on the back shoulders or the players who everyone goes to see/idolises?

macavity

Referee
I am sick of the level playing field being eroded away - and I am sick of merkins actively trying to destroy it.

third party deals, sydney conferences, payments outside the cap here there and everywhere - THIS is what is destroying our game - the rule of self interest at the expense of the league... and the merkins have the gall to call it "good for the game"

good for you, maybe - certainly not good for the game.

beave

Coach
I actually am not a fan of the Sydney and non Sydney conference system. I dont think it creates evenness in the competition as one year the non Sydney conference could be stronger and better teams could miss out. But it is important to have as many derby's as possible.

Here's how I would do it. First, divide teams into pools based on location. (assuming Perth and the CC are next in)

Interstate/International Melbourne, Perth, NZ

Queensland Nth Queensland, Brisbane, Gold Coast

Country NSW Newcastle, Central Coast, Canberra

West Sydney Penrith, Parramatta, Wests Tigers

Central Sydney Canterbury, St George/Illawarra, Cronulla

Eastern Sydney Sydney, South Sydney, Manly

Then each conference would be split up by their rankings from the previous year. (so based on this years rankings and assuming Perth and CC are ranked last)

Conference A would get teams
1st Queensland (Gold Coast)
3rd Queensland (Nth Qld)
2nd Interstate/international (Melbourne)
1st Country NSW (Canberra)
3rd Country NSW (Central Coast)
2nd East Sydney (Manly)
1st Central Sydney (St George)
3rd Central Sydney (Cronulla)
2nd West Sydney (Wests Tigers)

Conference B would get
2nd Queensland (Brisbane)
1st Interstate/International (NZ)
3rd Interstate/International (Perth)
2nd Country NSW (Newcastle)
1st East Sydney (Sydney)
3rd East Sydney (South Sydney)
2nd Central Sydney (Canterbury)
1st West Sydney (Penrith)
2nd West Sydney (Parramatta)

Teams play teams in their conference twice and the other conference once.
So, with a fairly even distribution of teams, fans should travel about the same amount, with a decent balance of local derbies and with hopefully the stronger teams spread amongst the two conferences.

Normal ladder would apply, same finals system applies.

Another idea I have is having the teams that have the highest TV ratings ranked and then split evenly into two conferences and applying the same system, so that the lower drawing teams get to play in games against higher drawing teams.

i agree somewhat to your post, I think you need to tweak who is in your conferences.

You have separated Brisbane and NQ, so you are robbing the NRL of having either

A) a 45k+ crowd in Brisbane (the biggest of the home and away season)

or

B) a 25k crowd in Townsville (the biggest of the year up here) which that cub relies on heavily for $$$$$$.

You have to put NQ, Brisbane and the Titans in the same conference if that is indeed the system that comes into play.

Last edited:

jonno_knights

Juniors
If you bothered reading the post above, I said the QLD Maroons can fit in the players names + XXXX advertising...

And it many ways I find that argument insulting.

Does the NRL have to whore out every piece of space on the jerseys (which effectively reduces it's overall value)?

Who can put a price on a kid having their heros name on their back and wearing it around town for all to see. Isn't that advertising the player, club and the game?

Which has the greater worth to our code, the advertisers on the back shoulders or the players who everyone goes to see/idolises?

Sorry, read the rest of your post, but must have overlooked the last line.

You still can put your favourite players name and number on the jersey now with a few iron on letters/numbers.

Imagine if the NRL went down the path of personalised player jerseys. Not only do the majority of clubs change jersey designs at first oppurtunity (every 2-3 yrs), they'd also try to sell all their star jerseys too. Its obvious they are trying to exploit fans already, this would just take it to an entire new level.

IT has its pro's and cons of coarse. The top players could get a % of sales from their jerseys to keep them in the game. But IMO the NRL cant go every direction, changing designs, and putting players names/numbers.

And didnt they try players name on the back of jerseys before and it failed? Melbourne Storm tried it.

TheDalek079

Bench
some people are taking the player's number/name thing seriously? i was just referencing the incredibly important meeting earlier in the season between the CEOs to discuss the salary cap (not long after the storm news broke) and all they came up with players choosing their own numbers on their jerseys

Latest posts