What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CEOs meet to take NRL 'to another level'

El Diablo

Post Whore
Is everyone overlooking the issue with conference that have to do with finals?

If the Broncos, Cowboys and Titans are in the same conference they cant play each other in the Finals series AT ALL...

So essentially we will have what we currently have (derbys during the regular season) but no QLD v QLD finals, and if it is Sydney & Regionals conferences then there will be no all Sydney Finals ever again.

you're assuming you know how the finals system would work if they adopt this conference thingy

applesauce

Bench
you're assuming you know how the finals system would work if they adopt this conference thingy

No I am not that is how a conference works...:roll:

Conferences by definition play against each others equivalent teams in the finals in all sporting competitions (with conferences).

If we just divide the comp into 2 groups and set the draw up with majority of games coming from within the group then the top 8 overall play off against each other then we will have what we had 2years ago... That is not a conference.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Personally I don't think there is enough talent to warrant 20 plus teams at the moment, I think that 18 is maximum we could go.

Or could we play 22 rounds [play everyone in the other conference once and everyone in your conference twice]?

For 16 teams I think 22 rounds is enough but clubs will effectively lose 1 home game a year, which will decrease their overall revenue. I think adding one more team and playing 25 rounds is the way to go, 12 home games and a neutral venue that the profits can be shared 50/50.

Is everyone overlooking the issue with conference that have to do with finals?

If the Broncos, Cowboys and Titans are in the same conference they cant play each other in the Finals series AT ALL...

So essentially we will have what we currently have (derbys during the regular season) but no QLD v QLD finals, and if it is Sydney & Regionals conferences then there will be no all Sydney Finals ever again.

The two most likely systems for finals would be 1v4, 2v3 in the same conference week 1 then follow the old NSWRL system with finals and grandfinals and the winners of each conference play in the actual grandfinal.

The other system is rank the teams in the top 8 like this:

1) Best overall
2) best in other conference
3) Next best overall
4) 2nd best in other conference
5) next best overall
6) 3rd best in other conference
7) best wildcard
8) 2nd best wildcard

then play the current finals system as is. I like this better because the best teams will get the best chance to make it and the grand final can be any combo.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I am not in favour of yet another Sydney team (Bears bid), but you really have no idea about anything south of the Tweed, do you?
Do you think that in ~20 years time that Manly and Cronulla will still be viable entities in the comp? Cronulla is barely surviving as it is and there are QLD Cup teams with more modern stadiums than Brookie.

Iafeta

Referee
I actually am not a fan of the Sydney and non Sydney conference system. I dont think it creates evenness in the competition as one year the non Sydney conference could be stronger and better teams could miss out. But it is important to have as many derby's as possible.

Here's how I would do it. First, divide teams into pools based on location. (assuming Perth and the CC are next in)

Interstate/International Melbourne, Perth, NZ

Queensland Nth Queensland, Brisbane, Gold Coast

Country NSW Newcastle, Central Coast, Canberra

West Sydney Penrith, Parramatta, Wests Tigers

Central Sydney Canterbury, St George/Illawarra, Cronulla

Eastern Sydney Sydney, South Sydney, Manly

Then each conference would be split up by their rankings from the previous year. (so based on this years rankings and assuming Perth and CC are ranked last)

Conference A would get teams
1st Queensland (Gold Coast)
3rd Queensland (Nth Qld)
2nd Interstate/international (Melbourne)
1st Country NSW (Canberra)
3rd Country NSW (Central Coast)
2nd East Sydney (Manly)
1st Central Sydney (St George)
3rd Central Sydney (Cronulla)
2nd West Sydney (Wests Tigers)

Conference B would get
2nd Queensland (Brisbane)
1st Interstate/International (NZ)
3rd Interstate/International (Perth)
2nd Country NSW (Newcastle)
1st East Sydney (Sydney)
3rd East Sydney (South Sydney)
2nd Central Sydney (Canterbury)
1st West Sydney (Penrith)
2nd West Sydney (Parramatta)

Teams play teams in their conference twice and the other conference once.
So, with a fairly even distribution of teams, fans should travel about the same amount, with a decent balance of local derbies and with hopefully the stronger teams spread amongst the two conferences.

Normal ladder would apply, same finals system applies.

Another idea I have is having the teams that have the highest TV ratings ranked and then split evenly into two conferences and applying the same system, so that the lower drawing teams get to play in games against higher drawing teams.

I'm not a fan of the conference idea full stop. It works in America for a number of reasons. Firstly, regular excessive travel. In their leagues you have teams from points as far apart as Miami and Vancouver or Miami and Seattle. It's cost prohibitive to keep running all over North America. In the MLB they further drop the costs by playing a series of games to minimise travel costs between games. We don't have anywhere near the same problem. Secondly, it is generally more consistent because of the sheer depth of player numbers. Take the MLB system and see how many good players they have playing in the minors.

For the NRL, you could alienate a number of fans in the outlying posts IMO by severely restricting their local ground access to those teams.

Further, one of the issues with a Americanised conference system is equity in reaching the finals. IT happened a few years in the NFL that a team who was 8-8 got through to the playoffs, a team who was 11-5 did not. That's the system we can most compare it to, as it has similar numbers of teams and a similarly short season. The MLB, NBA, NHL have much longer seasons with far greater quantities of games. As anyone who has done statistics will tell you, the greater the sample, the greater the consistency from reduction of outliers. What that means for teams in the MLB, NBA and NHL they are far less likely to have a situation like the NFL had.

adamkungl

Immortal
conferences are pointless for the NRL. There are no benefits imo. Just put as many rivalry repeat games as possible in the draw,

westie

Bench
IF 2 teams come in at the start of the 2013 season. Would the fans like to see each team play each other once like in the NFL?

Friday, 22 March 2013 - Round 01
Friday, 29 March 2013 - Round 02
Friday, 5 April 2013 - Round 03
Friday, 12 April 2013 - CITY v COUNTRY
Friday, 19 April 2013 - Round 04
Friday, 26 April 2013 - ANZAC TEST
Friday, 3 May 2013 - Round 05
Friday, 10 May 2013 - Round 06
Friday, 17 May 2013 - Round 07
Friday, 24 May 2013 - Round 08
Friday, 31 May 2013 - Round 09
Friday, 7 June 2013 - SoO I plus NZ SoO
Friday, 14 June 2013 - Round 10
Friday, 21 June 2013 - Round 11
Friday, 28 June 2013 - Round 12
Friday, 5 July 2013 - SoO II plus NZ SoO
Friday, 12 July 2013 - Round 13
Friday, 19 July 2013 - Round 14
Friday, 26 July 2013 - Round 15
Friday, 2 August 2013 - SoO III plus NZ SoO
Friday, 9 August 2013 - Round 16
Friday, 16 August 2013 - Round 17
Friday, 23 August 201 - Finals Week 1
Friday, 30 August 2013 - Finals Week 2
Friday, 6 September 2013 - Finals Week 3
Friday, 13 September 2013 - GRAND FINAL

Is that season too short?

Personally I don't think there is enough talent to warrant 20 plus teams at the moment, I think that 18 is maximum we could go.

Or could we play 22 rounds [play everyone in the other conference once and everyone in your conference twice]?

I'd love to see the NRL season compressed massively to allow for other parallel competitions... Knock out cup, expanded WCC etc. Realistically, all but the basket case clubs would get similar games, if not more. We'd eliminate that bullsh*t period after SOO where no one gives a f**k for a month or two. And the $$$ coming in would surely be larger.

There'd probably end up being more games I.e bitching players... so introduce a max games quota.

chefman21

Juniors
I'd love to see the NRL season compressed massively to allow for other parallel competitions... Knock out cup, expanded WCC etc. Realistically, all but the basket case clubs would get similar games, if not more. We'd eliminate that bullsh*t period after SOO where no one gives a f**k for a month or two. And the $$$ coming in would surely be larger.

There'd probably end up being more games I.e bitching players... so introduce a max games quota.

I'd like to see a 16 round two bye competition, with the top 8 going to two group stage rounds at the end of the season playing each other once i.e. 1,3,5,7 in one group and 2,4,6,8 in the other. Top 2 from each group after that go to the semi finals with number one from one group playing number two from the other and vice versa. Then a grand final from that. I'd much rather longer finals than regular games. I'd shift most of the rep games to the end of the season:

Trials

All stars game

16 round regular season

then

group stage finals

then

semi finals

then

grand final

then

rep games.

I'd like to see City Country in both states - implementing a Queensland comp - two weeks after the grand final. Two weeks after that I want to see a three game Origin series over three weeks i.e one game a week for three weeks. Two weeks after that the international games. Having the big two week breaks allows for build up and teams to get together to practice thereby making for better quality football. I'd love to see a super intense Origin series over three weeks. With the rep games at the end of the season, you could implement a mid season Champions League or round robin/European Super Cup hybrid style competition.

Latest posts