What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Championship and League 1 2018

Evil Homer

Staff member
Hard to tell unless you watch the match replays on youtube. Last season they came unstuck against teams they should of won against. Still early days but this championship is getting interesting.
Yep, last year they beat Hull KR, Featherstone and Halifax away but lost at Sheffield, Bradford, Oldham, Swinton and Dewsbury. If they'd won just one of those matches they would've made the top 4.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Hopefully we don't have a situation this year where Toulouse go up but Catalan go down. Great for Toulouse and it would be well deserved but France needs them both in SL.

deluded pom?

Coach
Im so much more pumped about Championship and League One this year than Super League! I'd love to see London and Toulouse go up to SL. And from League One I'd like to see York and Bradford. Newcastle Thunder i am also hoping will be in the mix.
I’m very much of the same thought. SL has become stale with the same old teams.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Im so much more pumped about Championship and League One this year than Super League! I'd love to see London and Toulouse go up to SL. And from League One I'd like to see York and Bradford. Newcastle Thunder i am also hoping will be in the mix.

No love for the Wolfpack?

Personally I think that the WP making SL would be great for publicity in Canada and would be good for the league as well, might sway some guys that were thinking about backing one of Perez's clubs into actually doing it as well which would be a bonus.

langpark

First Grade
No love for the Wolfpack?

Personally I think that the WP making SL would be great for publicity in Canada and would be good for the league as well, might sway some guys that were thinking about backing one of Perez's clubs into actually doing it as well which would be a bonus.
I'm not anti-WP, i just dont like the way theyve based themselves in the uk and am not convinced they have the right formula for long-term success.

London and Toulouse are on far more solid foundations and have grown steadily and organically over the years.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
I'm not anti-WP, i just dont like the way theyve based themselves in the uk and am not convinced they have the right formula for long-term success.

London and Toulouse are on far more solid foundations and have grown steadily and organically over the years.
London need to get a ton more fans, whether a super league birth would inspire more fans remains to be seen.

langpark

First Grade
So, which matches from these two leagues are NOT cancelled?

Toulouse vs Rochdale

Any others?? Swinton and Toronto both seem to be talking up their match on social media.

Evil Homer

Staff member
So, which matches from these two leagues are NOT cancelled?

Toulouse vs Rochdale

Any others?? Swinton and Toronto both seem to be talking up their match on social media.
All the League 1 games are gone plus Batley and Sheffield in the Championship. If they have covered the pitches at Swinton and Leigh I expect they might be ok to play.

Toulouse flogged Rochdale in warm sunshine in the south of France to go top on points difference.

langpark

First Grade
Ch
All the League 1 games are gone plus Batley and Sheffield in the Championship. If they have covered the pitches at Swinton and Leigh I expect they might be ok to play.

Toulouse flogged Rochdale in warm sunshine in the south of France to go top on points difference.
Cheers, yeah i saw that. Lets hope Toulouse can get a bit of consistency going. I like that they are not playing Challenge Cup too so they can focus solely on making the top 4.

giboz71

First Grade
Jono Ford and Sam Rapira played their first game for Toulouse this season this morning. Will Barthau and Eddy Pettyboutne have also joined which will make them much stronger.

And their fullback Mark Kheirallah was nominated for Championship player of the year last year.

They look strong.

Evil Homer

Staff member
A bigger test for them will be next week at Dewsbury which is one of the places they lost last year and the type of away game they need to win to make the 4.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Championship – Round-up
Dewsbury 20-40 Toulouse
Featherstone 32-18 Swinton
Halifax 38-18 Leigh
London 68-12 Batley
Rochdale 24-12 Barrow
Sheffield 10-44 Toronto

League One
Hemel 16-22 Coventry
Doncaster 44-6 Whitehaven
Hunslet 26-10 North Wales
Keighley 6-54 Bradford
Oldham 22-24 York
Workington 74-6 West Wales
London S 16-60 Newcastle

Perth Tiger

Bench
The Top 4 of the Championship have already created a little bit of separation from the pack.

hopefully that lasts given the three great expansion hopes are doing well at the top

Tigers1986

Juniors
For the UK folks - what's gone wrong with Leigh? They're being lapped by teams they'd expect to trounce.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I’m very much of the same thought. SL has become stale with the same old teams.

Sure there has been teams promoted and related from SL 2 or 3 years running now so I don't think it's been too bad from that point of view. I would describe the Nrl with its lack of fresh faces for 10 years now as stale

Also what's the story with West wales Raiders, bottom with 1 game played. Are they failing to field? I had thought that franchise had a brighter future now

Evil Homer

Staff member
Also what's the story with West wales Raiders, bottom with 1 game played. Are they failing to field? I had thought that franchise had a brighter future now
They defaulted week one due to an issue with medical supplies (unforgivable IMO) and then lost two games to snow. The one match they played was a 70 point drubbing where they traveled with only 16 players. As things stand I doubt they will still be in League 1 in 2019 and wouldn't be surprised if they fail to finish the season TBH.

Latest posts