What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changes NSW must make.

Sphagnum

Coach
Can't help but feel that the only way tedesco can legitimately come in is if moylan is dropped (at this stage of his career he is fullback or out imo). Can't see that happening though because he hasn't done anything wrong. Tedesco got injured at the worst possible time. Imo he is the better fb.

TheFrog

Coach
Moylan was the development player last year. Daley has indicated that the way he likes to do things is to bring rookie players in gradually. I'd suggest Moylan was always going to be the fullback this year, because he was seen to provide what NSW most needed, another ball player, and he'd been brought into the squad gradually.

I could be wrong about this but I don't think Daley is one to change tack easily. Thus I still think Tedesco will have to wait at least until next year, whether he's the greatest fullback since Clive Churchill or not.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Daley can't wait and slowly blood new players. Next year he will need 3 new forwards to replace gallen bird and farrah.
Jennings is also nearing the end.
They have to do something now but he's trying to avoid a clean sweep.
They're in a corner atm.

TheFrog

Coach
Daley can't wait and slowly blood new players. Next year he will need 3 new forwards to replace gallen bird and farrah.
They're in a corner atm.

Cartwright has already been a development player. Maybe he'll have Graham and/or someone else (Tedesco?) for the next game.

But it didn't seem to do Frizell any harm to come straight in.

betcats

Referee
They're in a corner atm.

Forget about the clean sweep. Whats one more game after 11 years of this shit? I will happily cop a clean sweep if they pick the team for the future, Daleys an idiot if he thinks sticking with guys Gallen, Bird and Farah is the best way to avoid a clean sweep. Most of the guys we want in are better than the old guys holding them out. Pick a young team, the core of the NSW team should be Tedesco, Tommy Turbo, Cartwright, Bird, Moylan if he switches to 6, Jake Turbo, Junior Paulo, James Roberts and by now the senior group should be Frizz, Graham, Ryan James, Maloney ets but these guys are only just getting into the team, Daley has held our development back massively imo. For halves I still think Reynolds is worth persisting with, Brooks is showing some form again, shit if we are really looking down the line Cleary could be ready in two years. His progression from SG ball to FG has been rapid. Eitherway NSW needs some forward thinkers running the show, Daley and his "be like queensland' mentality is hurting us.

TheFrog

Coach
Forget about the clean sweep. Whats one more game after 11 years of this shit? I will happily cop a clean sweep if they pick the team for the future, Daleys an idiot if he thinks sticking with guys Gallen, Bird and Farah is the best way to avoid a clean sweep. Most of the guys we want in are better than the old guys holding them out. Pick a young team, the core of the NSW team should be Tedesco, Tommy Turbo, Cartwright, Bird, Moylan if he switches to 6, Jake Turbo, Junior Paulo, James Roberts and by now the senior group should be Frizz, Graham, Ryan James, Maloney ets but these guys are only just getting into the team, Daley has held our development back massively imo. For halves I still think Reynolds is worth persisting with, Brooks is showing some form again, shit if we are really looking down the line Cleary could be ready in two years. His progression from SG ball to FG has been rapid. Eitherway NSW needs some forward thinkers running the show, Daley and his "be like queensland' mentality is hurting us.

That's an awful lot of changes and I think we all know Daley won't reach for the axe in such a manner. I think he'll give the old guard one more chance, and certainly he won't want to concede an Origin game just to try borderline players. You go into a game happy to lose in order to help your chances next year, you deserve to lose both this game and next year as well.

The funny thing is, Queensland were very un-Queensland like in their selections when they were losing, immediately before the current 10/11 run. It wasn't until they started winning that stability was achieved.

betcats

Referee
Exactly! Queensland created this culture of loyalty etc by winning, its easy to pick the same squad when you keep winning, after 3 losses in a row they did exactly what we should of done 2 years ago, identified the best young footy players they have available and threw them in there and let them grow. NSW has a lot more players to choose from for one and the core of the squad Laurie has remained loyal too have been losing for years except for 2014, whether they know it or not they are used to coming up short, the fact that we can concede 50 points in a series decider and the first thing Daley says is "I will be picking the same team next year" shows how backwards the NSW blues have become, how big a wake up call does Daley need to see some big changes are a must? How ridiculous of him.

I know Daley wont do it but he really should be looking at it making a lot of those changes. I would pick a centre pairing out of Roberts, Bird and Leluia, I would have either Moylan or Bird in he halves with Maloney with the other off the bench. I would a backrow of Graham, Frizzell and Cordner/Jackson(only 1) and I would have Carty on the bench. Put Brett Morriss on fergos wing and bring TT into camp atleast to get a taste. Its a lot of changes but a lot of change is needed to a side that has lost 10 from 11 series.

Last edited:

T.T

Juniors
If Daley loses game 3 with same team = guaranteed sack

He has nothing to lose but everything to gain by bringing in new faces

Daley will still be one of the people who influences who gets selected even if he will no longer be the coach. Daley, in one way or another whether as selector or coach, has been choosing who will play for NSW for longer than QLD's winning streak. If anyone was going to 'get rid of him' it would have taken place a long time ago.

Consider this:

Daley was one of the selectors for 2006, 2007,2008,2009 and 2010. They were probably the years that NSW was least competitive. Okay? Daley was a selector. He resigned as a selector based upon those results. So; What did the NSWRL hierarchy do with him? Made him part of Stuart's team then eventually made him coach!

That's what you do with someone who isn't the right fit. You promote them.

The machine behind the Blues Origin team is fooked up. The selections, the coaching and the team performance is failing because the entire Blues structure needs their heads read.

I'm sorry guys. We QLDers have been in all seriousness trying to tell you for years that there are players who are holding back the performance of your Origin team. If we even slightly criticised Gallen or Greg Bird you guys would go ballistic and cry "They are our best players". Well the penny has finally dropped. They are a pair of empty headed nongs who know nothing much better than trying to get around the rule book. The refs have no time for them. Their arguing with the refs then gets all the officials offside with them and they start cracking down on them with a vengeance. That costs the Blues.

There are current Blues Origin players who are being touted as certain picks for the future who have much the same attitude on the field. That bodes very well for QLD. NSW sees 'Made For Origin'. QLD looks at the same characters and instead of quivering in their boots, they see 'Perfect to Extend Our Winning Streak'. This is the legacy of Gallen. The influence of his grubby style of play will take years to shake off. Cue: a few more years of QLD domination.

So. Daley will probably coach NSW next year no matter what the result of Game 3. Gallen(and probably G.Bird and Farah) will play Game 3 and the 'new blood' will have to wait another year.

Two games in QLD next year? That should be a good year to blood a new team. Hmm, Maybe we'll have the first ever back to back whitewashes.

TheFrog

Coach
If Daley loses game 3 with same team = guaranteed sack

He has nothing to lose but everything to gain by bringing in new faces

But coaches have been sacked before and it hasn't helped at all.

Maybe the coach isn't the problem, as Gould suggests.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Daley will still be one of the people who influences who gets selected even if he will no longer be the coach. Daley, in one way or another whether as selector or coach, has been choosing who will play for NSW for longer than QLD's winning streak. If anyone was going to 'get rid of him' it would have taken place a long time ago.

Consider this:

Daley was one of the selectors for 2006, 2007,2008,2009 and 2010. They were probably the years that NSW was least competitive. Okay? Daley was a selector. He resigned as a selector based upon those results. So; What did the NSWRL hierarchy do with him? Made him part of Stuart's team then eventually made him coach!

The machine behind the Blues Origin team is fooked up. The selections, the coaching and the team performance is failing because the entire Blues structure needs their heads read.

I'm sorry guys. We QLDers have been in all seriousness trying to tell you for years that there are players who are holding back the performance of your Origin team. If we even slightly criticised Gallen or Greg Bird you guys would go ballistic and cry "They are our best players". Well the penny has finally dropped. They are a pair of empty headed nongs who know nothing much better than trying to get around the rule book. The refs have no time for them. Their arguing with the refs then gets all the officials offside with them and they start cracking down on them with a vengeance. That costs the Blues.

There are current Blues Origin players who are being touted as certain picks for the future who have much the same attitude on the field. That bodes very well for QLD. NSW sees 'Made For Origin'. QLD looks at the same characters and instead of quivering in their boots, they see 'Perfect to Extend Our Winning Streak'. This is the legacy of Gallen. The influence of his grubby style of play will take years to shake off. Cue: a few more years of QLD domination.

So. Daley will probably coach NSW next year no matter what the result of Game 3. Gallen(and probably G.Bird and Farah) will play Game 3 and the 'new blood' will have to wait another year.

Two games in QLD next year? That should be a good year to blood a new team. Hmm, Maybe we'll have the first ever back to back whitewashes.

Good post.
However qld won all three matches in 1988 and 1989.
Would be great to see that happen again.

Jason Maher

Immortal

Consider this:

You started off alright, before descending into your usual shit dribbling. Everyone in NSW except the NSWRL hierarchy knows that our system is broken. Unfortunately, the only way it could conceivably change is if a media organisation made an ongoing organised stink about it. Of course Gus has often made the right sort of noises, but it seems the words of our most successful coach don't carry too much weight. He may be an annoying commentator, but he's generally on the money in his columns, and you know when he criticises NSW it comes from a desire to see the team succeed.

Nightward

Juniors
You started off alright, before descending into your usual shit dribbling. Everyone in NSW except the NSWRL hierarchy knows that our system is broken. Unfortunately, the only way it could conceivably change is if a media organisation made an ongoing organised stink about it. Of course Gus has often made the right sort of noises, but it seems the words of our most successful coach don't carry too much weight. He may be an annoying commentator, but he's generally on the money in his columns, and you know when he criticises NSW it comes from a desire to see the team succeed.

On the other hand, he won't put his money where his mouth is and try to fix it. I could speculate on the causes for that but in the end he's NSW's best bet for a reformer.

Maybe he doesn't have enough pull with the NSWRL to be able to give orders but if Origin's longest ever winning streak and 10 series over 11 years isn't enough to force them to admit their errors I shudder to think of what it would take. Queensland hit the panic button back in '01 after loosing three series straight and what will probably remain the biggest humiliation in Origin for at least a generation and is still reaping the rewards of the systemic changes made back then.

I don't even know what a reform would look like. Gould dismantling and rebuilding the Origin support structure, Tommy Raudonikis appointed head coach in a Meninga-like role to remind the Blues what they're playing for, Craig Bellamy to handle the tactical aspect like Hagan did?

I will say though that the news isn't, can't be all bad for NSW. What still stokes the fire to this day for Queensland are the hidings from the pre-Origin period. That was harnessed and well-used. There are players coming into grade right now who will be ripe for the NSW version of that siege mentality, if anyone down there can capitalise on it.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Not really fair on Gus to expect him to take up a major role in the NSWRL

Hes already a fulltime commentator and CEO of the Panthers. How much time do you think he has to give?

Nightward

Juniors
He doesn't have to do all those jobs at once.

The problem NSW have is that if Gus can't/won't reform their Origin system, who else is there that could do it? Nobody else has anywhere near the reputation or clout Gould has, nor has anyone else shown the ability to do so.

I can understand him not wanting to- independent of anything else, if he takes the job on he will come under heavy fire from the media for any changes he makes, and it will upset personal and professional relationships when he starts cutting dead wood. Given the scope of the changes needed odds are he'd need at least two years before what he's doing starts to bear fruit.

But again, if Gould doesn't do it, who will? Somebody has to do something. Waiting for Cronk, Smith, and Thurston to hang up the boots isn't a solution, it's an excuse. The systemic issues are still going to be there.

The Blues Origin coaching position is a poisoned chalice. More than a coach is needed and no coach wants to be associated with losing.

The current default NSW State Of Origin tactic: Lull QLD into a false sense of security by allowing them to win 8 on the trot. Then take them by surprise by winning a series. It's a great tactic.

The Blues Origin coaching position is a poisoned chalice. More than a coach is needed and no coach wants to be associated with losing.

The current default NSW State Of Origin tactic: Lull QLD into a false sense of security by allowing them to win 8 on the trot. Then take them by surprise by winning a series. It's a great tactic.
Yep, that seems to be working really well.

Latest posts