What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 Give AFL a Free Ride

El Diablo

Post Whore
syphon said:
El Duque said:
Who said anyone didn't want it?

The point is that 9 should treat both codes equally or maybe it's just the sheilas down South are scared if they show League they might find that people actually like it.

perhaps its a case of the swans commanding 30,000 average crowds, whilst the storm are battling with sub 10,000 crowds (despite prolonged success). those figures wouldnt command much media coverage, certainly not as much as the swans or lions for example.

Personally I think Melbourne will always go fairly poorly and will sooner or later be relocated or die. Still, that's no excuse for 9 not to show sports they have the rights to at a reasonable hour.

Grantwhy

Juniors
syphon said:
El Duque said:

The point is that 9 should treat both codes equally or maybe it's just the sheilas down South are scared if they show League they might find that people actually like it.

perhaps its a case of the swans commanding 30,000 average crowds, whilst the storm are battling with sub 10,000 crowds (despite prolonged success). those figures wouldnt command much media coverage, certainly not as much as the swans or lions for example.

Syphon - why did the AFL continue to support the Sydney & Brisbane when they were getting sub 10,000 crowds?

skeepe

Immortal
timmy said:
If you ask me this shows that Melbourne does like sport because how are we meant to watch an AFL final and a NRL final if they are on TV at the same time. This way we get to watch both.

Hmm... I guess I just assumed that the AFL finals would be played on Saturday and Sunday... didn't think for a minute that there would be one on Friday night although it doesn't feature any Melbourne teams so I would have though Melbourne sports fans would be more interested in a Melbourne team.

syphon

Juniors
Grantwhy said:
syphon said:
El Duque said:

Syphon - why did the AFL continue to support the Sydney & Brisbane when they were getting sub 10,000 crowds?

what has that got to do with channel 9? your gripe should be with the NRL... and did the swans get FTA coverage back then? i dont know.

Southernsaint

Staff member
incredible_holc said:
actually the Swans were good last night
i didnt mind them at all

but Ch9 vic is a disgrace

Fatty didn't even know their names when he was thanking them for their appearance. Even allowing for the fact that he's a very poor television host, that was symbolic of the profile of Swans players & AFL in general in this town - people say "yeah, the Swans won" but don't really follow that up with a vested interest in the fortunes of the team...

Cheers,
Ben S.

dimitri

First Grade
Fatty didn't even know their names when he was thanking them for their appearance. Even allowing for the fact that he's a very poor television host, that was symbolic of the profile of Swans players & AFL in general in this town - people say "yeah, the Swans won" but don't really follow that up with a vested interest in the fortunes of the team...

i agree 100%

bazza

Immortal
Not that it will be of much comfort to Melbourne league fans but I noticed that in Sydney tongiht, channel 10 will be showing the blockbuster movie "The First Wives Club" this evening before showing the AFL around 10:45pm.
On Saturday they will be showing the movie event of the year "Ghostbusters" before the AFL at a slight delay of a 9pm start.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
Wouldnt matter what TV deal was done, NINE here in VIC wouldnt budge from its poor coverage.

Not much can be done about it unless they take the Swans option of giving away thousands of free tickets.

Southernsaint

Staff member
bazza said:
Not that it will be of much comfort to Melbourne league fans but I noticed that in Sydney tongiht, channel 10 will be showing the blockbuster movie "The First Wives Club" this evening before showing the AFL around 10:45pm.
On Saturday they will be showing the movie event of the year "Ghostbusters" before the AFL at a slight delay of a 9pm start.

Bazza, the point is that they're not televising the game at a reasonable hour in Melbourne that the Storm are actually in.

I'm sure that when the Swans are playing in the preliminary final it'll be broadcast at a decent hour in Sydney. This is more an inditment on the piss-poor NRL administration than channel Nine.

Cheers,
Ben S.

timmy!!!!

Juniors
skeepe said:
timmy said:
If you ask me this shows that Melbourne does like sport because how are we meant to watch an AFL final and a NRL final if they are on TV at the same time. This way we get to watch both.
...although it doesn't feature any Melbourne teams so I would have though Melbourne sports fans would be more interested in a Melbourne team.

I would guess that there are more Brisbane Lions and Adelaide Crows supporters in Melbourne than Storm and Raiders supporters. And if someone follows another AFL team than they have an interest in what happens to other teams. Like SouthernSaint said about the Swans and the Sydney public, just because they like to hear that the team won it doesn't mean they are that enthralled by the game itself.

robbieando

Juniors
OK I think I'll clear a few things up

Channel 9 and 10 have an agreement that they won't show AFL and the NRL against each other during the finals, to protect each other ratings in the repective States. That mean 9 can't show the NRL live into tonight in Melbourne and 10 can't show the AFL tonight in Sydney. However if the Lions or the Swans are playing then its shown into either NSW or Qld. It really does suck that this doesn't apply to the Storm in Melbourne. Still I'll watch it