What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 - Last straw in Melbourne

pcpp

Juniors
Disgraceful. SOO live in Melbourne would be a ratings success. What do you get in Meblorune 7:30pm-11pm? Normal coverage? Thank god i'm not in Melbourne.

Surandy

Bench
I think we are fighting a losing battle against Channel Nein. Until such time as the TV rights are re-negotiated I see no chance of an improvement.

But I'll still ring them to complain, as every Melbourne based RL supporter should do.

robbieando

Juniors
pcpp said:
Disgraceful. SOO live in Melbourne would be a ratings success.

Hasn't been in the past. The last time it was shown LIVE into Melbourne (Game 3, 2002) it came third in its timeslot. What made this worse was the fact the game was promoted by Ch 9 as the perfect lead in to its coverage of the Soccer World Cup Semi Final between Brazil and Turkey at 9.30pm (which by the way won its timeslot) after the Origin and its coverage of Wimbledon at 11.45pm.

I don't think previous ratings warrent LIVE coverage at 7.30pm, but it should still at least be shown at 9.30pm in any case instead of the graveyard shift of 11pm. Still while most people in Melbourne know about the game and its meaning to League, I doubt many outside the League community really have that much interest in a game between NSW and QLD. Live coverage certainly wouldn't win its timeslot, but you should be able to get 200,000 which to Ch 9 Melb is a loss of viewers and a major reason why there isn't any Live coverage of Origin into Melbourne.

Brutus

Referee
Beaussie said:
Seriously why would Victorians be interested in a game of RL between NSW and QLD :roll:

Those 6,000 for Storm home games are not enough to justify prime time coverage of SOO.

Just like 20,000 Swans crowds justify four or five twig ball games a weekend on fta in sydney hey?

dickhead.

Grantwhy

Juniors
Ch.Nein should be in a 'use it or lose it' situation with the Origin broacast.

If they will not broadcast the game live into a state (despite haveing paid the $$$ for the right to show the game live) then someone else (be it Fox or a Free to Air broadcaster) should be allowed to show the game live.

AuckMel

Bench
Grantwhy said:
Ch.Nein should be in a 'use it or lose it' situation with the Origin broacast.

If they will not broadcast the game live into a state (despite haveing paid the $$$ for the right to show the game live) then someone else (be it Fox or a Free to Air broadcaster) should be allowed to show the game live.

Spot on.

DIEHARD

----
Mean while in Brisbane we get 5 AFL games a weekend shown on FTA. Who cares about friggin Collingwood and Essingtown. State of Origin should be shown in Melbourne.

Screw Ch 9 I hope they lose the rights for RL and get nailed by the network that gets them, when they devote the resources RL deserves.

Moggles

Juniors
It just goes to show that the AFL are better at nutting out deals than the NRL.
I wouldn't expect too much change with the next agrement either.

The problem is that there is a lot of talk about promoting League but very little action.

i think it goes to show that league in melbourne will never be accepted and as i have said before melbourne are being propped up by news limited millions and when they pull the plug which they will the storm will be gone.

the nrl should step in and relocate them to the gold coast and as an established club they have a certaintly of survival where as a club starting from scratch will not.

the central coast bears can then be admitted and league fans which there are many in the gold coast and central coast regions will have a team to follow and this will bring in millions and millions into the game from areas such as corporate sponsorship, merchandise sales / increased support and interest in the game / increase in tv/cable viewers/increased ratings and increases revenue from advertisers/increased sales of newspapers and associated league magazines etc etc etc.

face the facts there are a very small core of followers of league in melboune and as all know afl is entrenched down there and kids want to play it and not league.

Moggles

Juniors
The same was said about the Brisbane bears/Lions when they started.
If you thought about the future of League, you would understand how precious the storm is to the future of Rugby League in Australia.

NSW does not need another Team.

Beaussie

First Grade
robbieando said:
pcpp said:
Disgraceful. SOO live in Melbourne would be a ratings success.

Hasn't been in the past. The last time it was shown LIVE into Melbourne (Game 3, 2002) it came third in its timeslot. What made this worse was the fact the game was promoted by Ch 9 as the perfect lead in to its coverage of the Soccer World Cup Semi Final between Brazil and Turkey at 9.30pm (which by the way won its timeslot) after the Origin and its coverage of Wimbledon at 11.45pm.

I don't think previous ratings warrent LIVE coverage at 7.30pm, but it should still at least be shown at 9.30pm in any case instead of the graveyard shift of 11pm. Still while most people in Melbourne know about the game and its meaning to League, I doubt many outside the League community really have that much interest in a game between NSW and QLD. Live coverage certainly wouldn't win its timeslot, but you should be able to get 200,000 which to Ch 9 Melb is a loss of viewers and a major reason why there isn't any Live coverage of Origin into Melbourne.

Well said Robbie. Why would your average Victorian be interested in a game of RL between NSW and QLD? As you've shown, the TV ratings don't warrant a live broadcast of SOO in Victoria or anywher in Australia bar NSW and QLD.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
Well said Robbie. Why would your average Victorian be interested in a game of RL between NSW and QLD? As you've shown, the TV ratings don't warrant a live broadcast of SOO in Victoria or anywher in Australia bar NSW and QLD.

Everyone I know LOEVS Origin. Whether they're AFL fans or not. I've driven through Melbourne at Origin time and have wondered whether I was in Sydney with all the pubs advertising it with their "GO NSW" or QLD signs up.

I guess no one was interested in the GF either with 500,000+ viewers?

Beaussie

First Grade
500,000 viewers for the NRL GF that was also beaten in the timeslot.

I guess Channel 9 Melbourne and most Victorians don't love SOO or NRL. :lol:

Southernsaint

Staff member
Mark Rudd said:
Everyone I know LOEVS Origin. Whether they're AFL fans or not. I've driven through Melbourne at Origin time and have wondered whether I was in Sydney with all the pubs advertising it with their "GO NSW" or QLD signs up.

I guess no one was interested in the GF either with 500,000+ viewers?

In PNG whole villages swear alleigances to either the Maroon or the Blues - it can get very heated :lol:

Cheers,
Ben S.

Beaussie

First Grade
Diehard said:
Why would Queenslanders be interested in LIVE Collingwood v Essingtown? :roll:

Because the AFL unlike the NRL has nationwide appeal. Yes even in QLD ;-)

Glenn said:
Beaussie said:
Seriously why would Victorians be interested in a game of RL between NSW and QLD :roll:

Those 6,000 for Storm home games are not enough to justify prime time coverage of SOO.

It would be a ratings disaster. Channel 9 are not that stupid. They are a business not a charity.

Just have a look at the crowd SOO got when it was played in Melbourne, it goes to show if it is promoted people will watch it

Channel 7 had the AFL rights then and so 9 wouldn't be losing anything by putting it on.

Channel 9 are a shocker, they have the NRL and the AFL. the 2 biggest club sports in the country and are using them for the NRL to dominate North of Albury to cape York and the AFL to dominate for the rest of Australia. The sooner the TV rights are given to someone else other than channel 9 the quicker the game will expand into developing states at a reasonable time. But at the moment channel 9 can basically tell both codes when and where and what time the games will be shown.

Stormwarning[c]

Juniors
Beaussie said:
500,000 viewers for the NRL GF that was also beaten in the timeslot.

I guess Channel 9 Melbourne and most Victorians don't love SOO or NRL. :lol:

Can I ask where some of these figures are coming from?

99 Grand Final peaked at 670,000 with an average of 573,000 and won it's time slot. It was also only shown in Melbourne, not the rest of Victoria. Compared to the AFL figures of 1.2 million for the whole of the state for that year (Carlton vs North Melbourne) those figures aren't to bad.

As for SoO, the last time that was on LIVE into Melbourne (and these are Channel Nine figures) it got 475,000 .

The time before that (Live) it got 425,000 and won it's time slot good figures I would think. (1998)

Robbie, On the issue of SoO just before a World Cup game on Nine a couple of years ago, one thing that you forgot to forgotten was that SBS was showing a World Cup program at the same time of SoO and given that it is the second greatest event you would expect more people to be watching anything to do with the World Cup.

Yet, lets compare the AFL's SoO TV figures and not the second greatest sporting event in the world figures...... :shock: what there is none.

The same will happen to the AFL when Nine keep the rights, they will dicated what games they want and when. Doesn't matter what sport you follow Nine shouldn't be allowed to have exclusive rights and then not show it (even slightly delayed) across the country.

But having said that, I'll just tune my Satellite Dish to the left and sit back and say Channel Nine....F&%$' em and watch it live :)