What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 states that it doesnt want league anymore

dimitri

First Grade
with their disgusting coverage of the sevens channel 9 has shown it does not want the rights to rugby league anymore

its time for a more worthy channel to get a go

Channel 9's coverage for World Sevens confirmed
Written by: Steven Birchall
18/1/04 Views: 99

Channel 9’s coverage for the 2004 Cougar World Sevens has been confirmed with the commercial television channel only showing a 1 hour highlights package at 6:30pm in the areas of New South Wales, ACT and Queensland.

The one hour package will show most of the finals, plus any other relevant highlights the Channel 9 crew wish to show the sporting public.

simon says

First Grade
Yeah,its time for a new channel.Nine has had its chance and screwed us.....

Their coverage has been lame,and their committment to the sport even worse.

Over it. :cry: :cry:

Once Dead

Bench
Didn't the NRL change the allocation of the tournament schedule wise so that it COULD be televised live?

Grantwhy

Juniors
Impellitteri said:
Didn't the NRL change the allocation of the tournament schedule wise so that it COULD be televised live?

Yes, they did.

*edit*
What where people expecting? Live coverage of games? This is Channel Nien we are talking about.

If they thought they could get away with it they would broadcast the Origin games and Grand Final like they do their Friday/Sunday games (1 hour delay and put in the 'full' ad breaks)

Maybe next time the media rights come up, the NRL/ARL could include a "if you buy the rights you have to show it" clause.

Oh, and if I remember correctly, Nine will only allow Fox to broadcast only what Nine shows of the 7's, so they can't show all the pool games later :( .
*edit*

mightypanther

Juniors
So how much longer exactly does Channel 9's contract with the NRL go for?

Not much longer I hope for Rugby League's sake. :x

choc_soldier

Coach
Channel 9 don't show enough committment to the code. For people like me who don't have Foxtel, it is basically the only outlet available to me. I think that they should show more than two games on a weekend, like one of the Saturday matches, and maybe a replay of one of the Sunday matches later that night (9 also has the AFL on Sunday).

Or if they can't do that, at least have a "wrap" show, say on a Tuesday night, where they show highlights of the previous round, like the AFL used to do when it was on Channel 7. I'm pretty sure Fox would be generous enough to provide their matches to allow that to happen.

I think 9's attitude towards league is marginal, at best. To treat a showcase like the sevens in this way is nothing short of a disgrace.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
9 may not be great. But remember, they do put on 2 footy shows a week, have two games on, play state of origan and grandfinals live and they have some of the best commentators going around. Look at how 7 screwed up the olympics. The game could be in much worse hands.

choc_soldier

Coach
Bring it home Knights said:
9 may not be great. But remember, they do put on 2 footy shows a week, have two games on, play state of origan and grandfinals live and they have some of the best commentators going around. Look at how 7 screwed up the olympics. The game could be in much worse hands.

Yeah, I'll agree with you... they do have have great commentators, and they do show all the big games live, and the two Footy Shows are a mix of news and entertainment.

It's the round-to-round football that just gets under my nose a bit. They could show more, at least one more game, on a Saturday night.

And also the fact that they won't show the majority of the sevens, and now the WCC.

But yeah, 7's attitude towards sport is more shocking, than 9's. The Olympics seem to be very Aussie-centric, and the rugby is nothing but one long ad, with the match occasionally interrupting it. And soccer, ooh wee, don't get me started on that!

Crippler

Juniors
I remember all the way back in 1997 I could watch all of the world sevens live on Optus cable TV.

you wouldnt think 7 years later it would go from that to a 1 hour package for only 1 day.

time for the lazy politicians to change the anti-siphoning laws.

syphon

Juniors
Crippler said:
YOU TAKE THAT BACK!! :shock: :lol:

anyway, 7 years earlier the game was going gangbusters, and had a virtual monopoly on Sydney and indeed NSW and Qld. Since then there has been a lot happen to say the least.

Hazy

Juniors
Rugby League is never going to get a good deal from Nine while they have the rights to the AFL.

Channel 7 would be the preffered option, mainly because they are hurting about losing AFL and might 'subsidise' league the way they used to with the then VFL.

nqboy

First Grade
Crippler said:
I remember all the way back in 1997 I could watch all of the world sevens live on Optus cable TV.

you wouldnt think 7 years later it would go from that to a 1 hour package for only 1 day.

And that's with commercials, intros and wrap-ups by the talking heads, station promos, it would be an interesting exercise to time the football shown.

PB

Bench
Bring it home Knights said:

Ch9 have good commentators?! Fox has better ones i think.
Ch9 have two footy shows?! I can only think of the one on a sunday at lunchtime.

there should be a mid week rap show, similar to what Fox run, or similar to Ch 7's Talking Footy on a tuesday (i think) for AFL.

Ch9 don't do nearly enough to promote the game and this is another example.

The 7's is primarilly designed to PROMOTE the game of league. What a waste of money if only the 20-30,000 people at the ground see the promotion!

I would suggest channel 10 get the rights to the league, but theyare very keen on the new soccer and could very well end up with it.

The Sevens is no big deal really. Have a look at the clubs sending ressies and fringe first graders out there. It is a big deal though for the Pacific islands and places we are trying to expand the game into.