What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 states that it doesnt want league anymore

Crippler

Juniors
syphon said:
Crippler said:
time for the lazy politicians to change the anti-siphoning laws.
YOU TAKE THAT BACK!! :shock: :lol:

anyway, 7 years earlier the game was going gangbusters, and had a virtual monopoly on Sydney and indeed NSW and Qld. Since then there has been a lot happen to say the least.

umm 7 years ago the competition was split in 2. :)

2003 was proven the best season ever and the Tv coverage should reflect that.

PB

Bench
I am not so worried about coverage of matches per week so to speak (apart from the below average commentary). You look at sports like English Soccer, NFL, NBA etc, which get minimal match coverage on free-to-air TV, but they have plenty of shows relating to the competitions and kepp peoples interest in them, thus keeping them going to the games.

But the 7's is a promotional tool and the whole idea of promoting something is for as many people as possible to see what you are promoting!

wittyfan

Referee
From memory, Channel 9 has never covered the 7's well so why the surprise that they are only showing one hour of highlights?

Once Dead

Bench
Southern Rooster said:
I would suggest channel 10 get the rights to the league, but theyare very keen on the new soccer and could very well end up with it.

The Sevens is no big deal really. Have a look at the clubs sending ressies and fringe first graders out there. It is a big deal though for the Pacific islands and places we are trying to expand the game into.

Southern? Channel 10 actually going to televise the NSL? In my heart of hearts i fear that they will do a Channel 7 on Australian soccer.....its inevitable.......we'll have to put up with a 1hr highlights package on Sunday mornings again.........just give the rights to Fox i say....it never works on FTA

Channel 7 is looking for something to save its credibility.........why not league? I know i'm dreaming

I must be hallucinating because I think I just read one or more people say that channel 9 has good commentators.

The f**kwits from channel 9 are some of the most hateworthy personalities on TV. There's smug, ugly Phil Gould for starters - we'd all be better off if he was dead. Fatty Vautin, everyone's mate but a bit of an inarticulate dill - hardly brings anything insightful to the table. Sterlo is an idiot, he says the worst jokes I have ever heard and he just frustrates, he mispronuciates words and generally talks nonsense. Ray Warren's call is OK but he's an oddball. Hadley calls a better game. Chief tries to be one of the boys but talks absolute rubbish, his jokes are lame and people treat his comments and questions with contempt.

The only shining light is Matt Johns, who is a truly likeable personality with talent. The others are a bunch of stupid f**kwits.

I agree with dimitri, time to give someone else a go, but for different reasons. If the Sevens were broadcast in Sydney, no one would attend the games, so they really dont have much of a choice.

Y2Eel

First Grade
All seven would have to do to be succesful is do the excact thing nine do at the moment footyshow on thursday-wednesday friday foooooty and maybe saturday and sunday and then throw a life line to the international game....

Impellitteri said:
Southern Rooster said:
I would suggest channel 10 get the rights to the league, but theyare very keen on the new soccer and could very well end up with it.

The Sevens is no big deal really. Have a look at the clubs sending ressies and fringe first graders out there. It is a big deal though for the Pacific islands and places we are trying to expand the game into.

Southern? Channel 10 actually going to televise the NSL? In my heart of hearts i fear that they will do a Channel 7 on Australian soccer.....its inevitable.......we'll have to put up with a 1hr highlights package on Sunday mornings again.........just give the rights to Fox i say....it never works on FTA

Channel 7 is looking for something to save its credibility.........why not league? I know i'm dreaming

Channel 10 really want the soccer, but as always it comes down to money. If 7 get it what I hope they do is lease it to SBS or ABC. That way everyone benefits.

I would love to see channel 7 with the Rugby League. People won't believe it but I thought they did a great job with the AFL and I would love to see league getting that sort of exposure. The thing Seven did was take it to the foreign states (ie here and Brisbane) and that is a major reason why the game is where it's at today.

Once Dead

Bench
Southern Rooster said:
Impellitteri said:
Southern Rooster said:

Channel 10 really want the soccer, but as always it comes down to money. If 7 get it what I hope they do is lease it to SBS or ABC. That way everyone benefits.

I would love to see channel 7 with the Rugby League. People won't believe it but I thought they did a great job with the AFL and I would love to see league getting that sort of exposure. The thing Seven did was take it to the foreign states (ie here and Brisbane) and that is a major reason why the game is where it's at today.

Here's hoping they will actually show games live....but the only way that would happen is on Fox Sports...and a slim chance on SBS

Keep us NSL fans updated with the info that you find out....its always interesting when you post some of this positive news for us!

BTW-I didn't really think of that when mentioning Ch. 7.....they wouldn't have a prob broadcasting league interstate compared to the debacle we have currently

MR REF

Juniors
Personaly, i believe there is no better station than nine. Yes! they do give sh!t coverage, but they are the best rating station is australia. The NRL knows this too. With that being said rugby league promotion would be more widespread and a lot of people knowing about it. But of course they dont promote. Nine will get the next contract for FTA, why, the same reason why FOX got PAYTV. Mr Packer spent a lot of money on rugby league in the 90s. He knows of its dominance of being a ratings winner and will still see lots of $$$$ coming from it. In other words he wants to make money out of it.

Hopefully the gods down @ fox hq will get start being tight a$$' with these tv nextworks and help out there fellow man by giving us a clause in the contract!

dimitri

First Grade
there is no doubt in my mind that the nrl have to add clauses in the next contract giving the nrl more power in the discretion of games chosen and the depth of coverage

Nuke

Staff member
I, personally, think the Channel 9 commentators are great. That being said, they would be my only reason for keeping the NRL on 9.

For mine, Ch 7 is the way to go. To start with, 7 is one nation-wide broadcaster, whereas 9 is seperately owned in the different states. I think, from memory, that SA & WA are owned by the same guy, and the rest is owned by another guy. Let alone the various WIN's and NBN's, ect that are subsideries of 9.

If 7 had the rights, they would show the NRL (coz they've got little else), they would promote the buggery out of it (look at what they've done for aussie rules & union), and the most important piece of the puzzle ... it would be shown in all states with decent coverage.

From memory, the ony reason 7 didn't get the NRL last time, was because Foxtel is partly owned by 9(or is it the other way around?), and that 7 wanted the NRL on C7 as well as free-to-air.

I live in Perth, so as far as I'm concerned, it can only get better from here.

greeneyed

First Grade
Giving it to 7 could be the answer...... they used to promote the hell out of AFL across the country, even when there was no national competition; they are doing the same with rugby union. 7 is desperate for a top line football code to cover. I am sure they could find commentators at least as good as the ones on 9 .......

fatshark

Bench
Some of you people dont understand that this is a free to air channel. Therefore League gets its time when the season is in full swing. It will NEVER get itsown way. The only way to more of it is by a channel dedicated to the sport by Fox.

greeneyed

First Grade
The NRL could get its own way if they were prepared to put some decent conditions on its contracts and negotiate hard on some of these things. The AFL manages to do it, why not the NRL?

It is not like Channel 9 has any other decent program on on Sunday afternoon....... OK, there is cricket on the Saturday, but why NOT show a highlights package from the Saturday on the Sunday, leading up to some cover of a few hours on Sunday afternoon, leading up to 6 pm?

The Colonel

Immortal
greeneyed said:
Giving it to 7 could be the answer...... they used to promote the hell out of AFL across the country, even when there was no national competition; they are doing the same with rugby union. 7 is desperate for a top line football code to cover. I am sure they could find commentators at least as good as the ones on 9 .......

Seven tried really hard to stuff the cricket, buried the Super 12 to a 1 hour package on a Sunday, bought the soccer and did nothing with it and does a crap job of the Winter and Summer Olympics and you want to give them the League?

I'd rather it be on SBS :roll:

woodgers

Bench
I think it is a catch 22 really. We all say we want more coverage of the game, but then we want the crowds too. It is a toughy, perhaps if they did show a round up like English Soccer on a Monday night that would be ideal. I agree that 7 were fantastic with the AFL, but as has been said previously that probably had to do with the AFL's demands. I take league any day of the week however league could learn a great deal from those guys at AFL HQ. Channel 7 have dogged soccer though, their coverage is rubbish - taking ads on throw ins is ridiculous.

Lynchie

Juniors
As much as I get annoyed with channel 9 throughout the season for different reasons I think league belongs with channel 9, I just hope for some improvements regarding coverage issues such as the sevens.
I thought their coverage of games improved alot last season with extended post game coverage and analysis especially.

I liked the way channel 7 covered afl but since the change to channel 9 and 10 i think it is sh*thouse and while im on the subject of tv stations, channel 7 please give all soccer rights to sbs as they are the only ones who can do it professionally and without bloody commercials all the time!

Glenn

First Grade
Colonel Eel said:
greeneyed said:

Seven tried really hard to stuff the cricket, buried the Super 12 to a 1 hour package on a Sunday, bought the soccer and did nothing with it and does a crap job of the Winter and Summer Olympics and you want to give them the League?

I'd rather it be on SBS :roll:

Hey maybe SBS wouldnt be so bad for the Bulldogs supporters ;-)

melon....

Coach
Time for :::9 to regain some form of credibility in Rugby League.

Step1: Can the moron fed Thursday Night Footy show. Good for toothless tards from Cessnock, but not much else.

Step2: Re-instate the Real Footy Show Panel on Prime Time, not Sunday Morning.

Step 3: Replace Vautin and Sterling, with Ferris Ashton and Rex Mossop :D

Step 4: Tell Johns to drop the idiotic comedy routines and talk league with Harrigon. The chief aint to bad except when he's roped into playing doctors and nurses with the enema brothers in Step 3.

Seriously....who cares about 9. If youre in the country and cant get Fox or Optus, or in the city and cant get em either, then go to the games or go watch the local pub sides run around. It'll be as good as Sevens anyway.

Latest posts