What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chargers to LA

shiznit

Coach
It was bound to happen... It's hard to get anything done in Cali these days as the tax payers usually aren't dumb enough to hand a half a billion dollar cheque to a billionaire....

At least here they can jump on the back of billionaire Stan's Stadium and probably double the value of the franchise overnight.

I'm expecting it won't be long until Mark Davis announces the Raiders move to Las Vegas.

beave

Coach
I've been to San Diego a few times and hands down, it's my most favourite city out of the 15 or so major cities I've been to over there. This is an absolute shame and I really feel for the Chargers fans.

That area where Spanos wanted was right in the down town, close the Gas Lamp and Padres stadium whereas the Qualcomm site is out in mission valley which is more central overall. He was offered the site for $1 a year for 99 years about a month agoa. If he goes to LA tomorrow he will be faced with a $600mil transer fee plus whatever other costs to make a training facility. I honestly think he would have been better off trying to stay in San Diego and developing the current site and selling it for $$$ and making a more smaller stadium that was cost effective 55-60k, he should have channeled the money he would have spent in transer into the new stadium plus some private investmentTrying to go into the CBD of San Diego felt like a dick swinging measure by Spanos, I honestly don't know what he was going to gain from an inner city stadium, more prestige?

I don't see how he is going to get any decent crowds in LA, it will be highly embarrassing for him when they play the raiders and there will be a sea of black and silver in the crowd. The talk of him possibly using Stub Hub stadium (LA Galax) is just crazy, it holds 27k people.

Hopefully the city of San Diego comes in with an 11th hour proposal that old mate agrees to, I think he is honestly going to regret moving to LA.

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
I don't see how he is going to get any decent crowds in LA, it will be highly embarrassing for him when they play the raiders and there will be a sea of black in the crowd. The talk of him possibly using Stub Hub stadium (LA Galax) is just crazy, it holds 30k people.

That's been happening to them in San Diego already...

When Phillip Rivers has to switch to a silent count at home... that's embarrassing...

but I agree it will be worse in LA.

But it's not like the Rams will have it any better... the Raiders dominate the LA market fan base wise... the Raiders beat them handily every single week in the TV ratings.

beave

Coach
Yeah, i spent 8 weeks just north of LA at the start of last year and everytime I would drive down there the amout of Raiders gear on people and their cars was mind blowing.

The whole situation imo for all 3 of the teams is a mess. The Rams should have stayed in LA in the first place and never moved. There was plans afoot for a redevelopment of the Anaheim stadium atea that would have been awesome for the Rams but old stubborn old Georgia had other ideas.......

Tom155

Coach
That's been happening to them in San Diego already...

When Phillip Rivers has to switch to a silent count at home... that's embarrassing...

but I agree it will be worse in LA.

But it's not like the Rams will have it any better... the Raiders dominate the LA market fan base wise... the Raiders beat them handily every single week in the TV ratings.
Yeah the game in SD is like another broncos home game

nick87

Coach
I dont like this move, i get that for the Chargers it was kind of inevitable, they've tried and tried and tried to work out a deal in SD, and then they tried again! this is one owner who can honestly say they tried their absolute best to keep the team in the departing town. But it just stinks for the fans, the franchise in general... they'll be the poor cousin to Kroenke's Rams. The fans will be angry and i can understand that, i know how id feel in their spot, but they really did try and the reality is there is no easy answer. They need a new stadium and whilst the cynic in me says "Spanos is a **** billionaire, he can build himself without public monies" the realist in me knows this NFL game is and always will be business, not sports. The owners are in this to make money an there is no doubt the move to LA will make Spanos plenty. I dont blame the city of SD either btw, i think every **** county and state in the USA should vote against publically funding Billionaire play grounds. **** that ****. Just a franchise stuck between a rock and a hard place

As for 2 teams in LA? I think its going to be a disaster. I think the region can and in time would fully get behind one franchise and eventually sustain a second but i think going bang-bang like this has the chance to really kill the market off for the NFL for another 30 years. It wont shock me to see one or both of these teams relocate again within 15 years. Especially if these teams dont get their **** together. It also wont shock me if they are both raging successes in 15 years time either. I think it could genuinely go either way.
Its a brave new NFL world. 2 LA's team.

spanos should do the right thing and leave the name in san diego.

and then set himself on fire.

anyway.
sad for the chargers fans.
they will be like 7th fiddle in LA

beave

Coach
I dont like this move, i get that for the Chargers it was kind of inevitable, they've tried and tried and tried to work out a deal in SD, and then they tried again! this is one owner who can honestly say they tried their absolute best to keep the team in the departing town. But it just stinks for the fans, the franchise in general... they'll be the poor cousin to Kroenke's Rams. The fans will be angry and i can understand that, i know how id feel in their spot, but they really did try and the reality is there is no easy answer. They need a new stadium and whilst the cynic in me says "Spanos is a **** billionaire, he can build himself without public monies" the realist in me knows this NFL game is and always will be business, not sports. The owners are in this to make money an there is no doubt the move to LA will make Spanos plenty. I dont blame the city of SD either btw, i think every **** county and state in the USA should vote against publically funding Billionaire play grounds. **** that ****. Just a franchise stuck between a rock and a hard place

As for 2 teams in LA? I think its going to be a disaster. I think the region can and in time would fully get behind one franchise and eventually sustain a second but i think going bang-bang like this has the chance to really kill the market off for the NFL for another 30 years. It wont shock me to see one or both of these teams relocate again within 15 years. Especially if these teams dont get their **** together. It also wont shock me if they are both raging successes in 15 years time either. I think it could genuinely go either way.
Its a brave new NFL world. 2 LA's team.

Mate I disagree, I don't think Spanos has done every thing he can. A little bit of expectation management on his behalf was needed, it seemed that is was the downtown or nothing as far as he was concerned. From what I read, he pretty much walked away when presented with the Mission Valley proposal to give him the existing land at Qualcomm. That $600 mil transfer fee he will be forced to pay would have been better spent going towards a new stadium in San Diego.

Eelectrica

Referee
I feel for the fans in San Diego. They've watched years of garbage, a few near great seasons only to choke at the end with the NFL's version of Brian Smith in charge, now they're packing up and moving... just down the road according to Spanos. I'd hate to walk it.
The fans as always are caught in the crossfire. Qualcomm wasn't cutting it anymore, I get that, still no win at all for the fans.

Even worse for fans in SD is that NFL fans in LA are saying "We didn't ask for this"

Last edited:

Haffa

Where will they get their support from? Not many will stick with them after the move. The national narrative has been, “They're moving an hour away. Just support them in LA too!” Inglewood is 120 miles from Qualcomm Stadium. East Rutherford is 90 miles from Philly. Can't imagine too many Eagles fans would respond positively if they were asked why they don’t just root for the Giants when they’re so close?

Parra

Referee
I've just come back from San Diego. Fans are gutted as expected. The overriding sentiment was "if they had to go, why did they have to stay so close". LA is not an attraction, it is annoying and is being taken as something spiteful. Stay, or if they have to go move far, far away. That was a very clear message.

Will they start winning in LA? There are no indications that they will. Who will be there to watch?

Dogs Of War

Coach
Well if the Raiders get to move to Vegas. Then that may provide the Chargers with a reason to stay for the next 2 years and work out how to remain in San Diego.

Shorty

Staff member
Has Rivers said much about this?
Can't see him liking LA very much, hes a pretty conservative guy and LA doesn't suit him.