What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaches pay to be capped???

davi

Juniors
I say that I am all for it. Particularly when some of these clubs can't afford some of these offers they are giving. I mean seriously St George preparing a 1 million a year offer for Wayne Bennett when they asking for a 2 million loan from the game's governing body.

If the players pay can be capped so should the coaches- I don't where this all started but Ricky Stuart 850 000 from Paramatta, Des Hasler 750 000, and Wayne Bennet calling for a million. Is really undermining one of reasons for having a players salary cap to stop clubs going broke.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...p-spending-on-nrl-coaches-20140715-ztchi.html

Last edited:

Aaron_sfas

Juniors
Na. And if you did, you'd want the caoches cap to be well above the leading players cap. A lot of player misbehaviour and ego comes from the fact that some of these players earn more than double what their coach gets.

redvscotty

First Grade
I think they should abolish all coaches and only ever use Captain / Coaches.

All Captain / Coaches would be required to shun a number and always have CC on their backs, and all referees will only ever speak to the CC and refer to them as a 'CC'.

The CC of the winning team will select the Man of the Match and this will be applied to all broadcasts.

MaxPower

Juniors
Jealous merkins who think the solution to all lifes problems is stopping people from earning what they deserve.

johns_reds

First Grade
I say that I am all for it. Particularly when some of these clubs can't afford some of these offers they are giving. I mean seriously St George preparing a 1 million a year offer for Wayne Bennett when they asking for a 2 million loan from the game's governing body.

If the players pay can be capped so should the coaches- I don't where this all started but Ricky Stuart 850 000 from Paramatta, Des Hasler 750 000, and Wayne Bennet calling for a million. Is really undermining one of reasons for having a players salary cap to stop clubs going broke.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...p-spending-on-nrl-coaches-20140715-ztchi.html

Next you'll want to cap the score board attendants wages too

I think they should abolish all coaches and only ever use Captain / Coaches.

All Captain / Coaches would be required to shun a number and always have CC on their backs, and all referees will only ever speak to the CC and refer to them as a 'CC'.

The CC of the winning team will select the Man of the Match and this will be applied to all broadcasts.

Personally I just like salsa on my CCs

mxlegend99

Referee
Just stop giving the teams handouts if they want to throw ridiculous money at a coach. There shouldn't be a salary cap for coaches, but if a team throws overs to sign one of the best coaches they should be excluded from handouts from the NRL.

It wouldn't be right for a team to throw $1m a season that they don't have to land a coach, and then having the NRL pay the coach... or for anything else they can't afford because they threw too much money at the coach.

betcats

Referee
This is stupid if a club can afford to spend big bucks on a coach then good on them. The playing roster salary cap keeps things even enough imo.

davi

Juniors
This is stupid if a club can afford to spend big bucks on a coach then good on them. The playing roster salary cap keeps things even enough imo.

IF they can afford them. The Dragons are already asking for loans from the NRL and want to make a big offer million dollar a year offer to Wayne Bennett. Which means it's not "stupid".

BunniesMan

Immortal
I'm a fan of a soft cap for the football department overall. Pick a number, if clubs spend over that they have to pay a dollar for dollar tax on the amount they go over the cap. That is paid to the poorer clubs.

In the NBA they've developed a quality revenue sharing system that has caused some of the richest men in the world to think twice about spending too much.

thorson1987

Coach
IF they can afford them. The Dragons are already asking for loans from the NRL and want to make a big offer million dollar a year offer to Wayne Bennett. Which means it's not "stupid".

Yet you want to put a cap on what a coach can be paid for all clubs.

If clubs can afford it, they can pay a coach $5m a year if they want.

nick87

Coach
Ridiculous idea.

Just dont give hand outs or advances to clubs who want to spend over the odds on coaches. Simple.

If Saints want to pay Bennett who ever many million a year, go for it, just dont expect the NRL to bail you out with hand outs or advances in your grant when you cant pay the bills through the duration of that contract

MaxPower

Juniors
I'm a fan of a soft cap for the football department overall. Pick a number, if clubs spend over that they have to pay a dollar for dollar tax on the amount they go over the cap. That is paid to the poorer clubs.

In the NBA they've developed a quality revenue sharing system that has caused some of the richest men in the world to think twice about spending too much.

Great idea. We don't want people investing in rugby league. It's too unfair. Should have a soft cap on the number of members a club is allowed to have too.

dogslife

Coach
Great idea. We don't want people investing in rugby league. It's too unfair. Should have a soft cap on the number of members a club is allowed to have too.
Souths should have a soft cap on the number of deceased relatives they can claim as members

betcats

Referee

So a rich club like the broncos shouldnt be allowed to spend their money on a coach because the dragons cant afford bennet? Sound stupid to me.

davi

Juniors
So a rich club like the broncos shouldnt be allowed to spend their money on a coach because the dragons cant afford bennet? Sound stupid to me.

But you are only looking from a rich club perspective- your not acknowledging the clubs who are in the red and who are making this big offers in terms of salary to these coaches. Just keep clinging to your rich clubs scenario and ignore the legitimate point I made about the Dragons because it's too hard look at the whole issue.

Also the NRL is looking into this- so there is obviously a problem in terms of clubs spending too much. I think that the coaches being able to offer whatever from the clubs undermines one of the core reasons of having a salary cap to keep clubs into the black.

betcats

Referee
Im not overlooking it, I just think its stupid to limit some clubs spending because other clubs want to overreach financially.

Just stop giving the teams handouts if they want to throw ridiculous money at a coach. There shouldn't be a salary cap for coaches, but if a team throws overs to sign one of the best coaches they should be excluded from handouts from the NRL.

Bingo. Why should those clubs who can manage their finances be penalised because the Dragons, after going to the NRL cap in hand for funding, are now throwing looking to make a big money offer for Wayne Bennett?

To me the idea is complete lunacy.

Latest posts